Jug Fishing

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Ace, Jun 10, 2006.

1. Ace

Ace New Member

State:
    Gastonia N
    Well we had a great time on Lake Wylie today. 6-11-2006.My wife and our son and I.We have not jug fished in about 15 years.So I fixed 16 jugs to take to the lake.We started fishing for bait for our jugs and caught about 20 Bream for cut bait.We put the jugs out and it was not long before the jugs started to take off.The first fish was about a 2lb Channel cat.We caught a good mess of fish.A couple weighed 3 to 4 lb .Our son had to leave early to take his son to play a ball game.We tried to drift for a while but there were to many boats on the water.I think we will keep on night fishing.

:still_dreaming:

:cat:

Attached Files:

2. Dragger

Dragger New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Glad everyone had a safe and good time, I havent jug fished in years, looks like i need to try it again.

3. Fatkat

Fatkat New Member

State:
    Blanchester, Ohio
    This is the 1st year I've tried jugging, I'm hooked, lol. Its a blast chasing those jugs. :big_smile:

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Isn't it just great to see those jugs skim along the top of the water and then slowly, slowly, start to go under - just like in the movie jaws. Can't have too much imagination while jug fishing or you just might quit. LOL

5. Kittyhunter

Kittyhunter New Member

State:
    Princeton, NC
    So give me some info on jug fishing. Do you fish them with a bottom rig, or do you keep the line shorter than the depth of the water you're fishing? I gather that you scatter them out and just sit and watch them? Probably wouldn't work too well in the river but good in a lake.

6. PEE DEE RIVER RAT

PEE DEE RIVER RAT New Member

hey ace good outing.. years past i have fished with jugs .. but there is nothing like learning the lake you are fishing and setting up with rod and reels and getting one of the monsters on.. i get a whole lot more out of rod and reel fishing.. but with jugs you can cover a lot more water.. just my thoughts.. good luck fishing ..

7. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Jug fishing is somewhat like crappie fishing. Set the jugs at different depths until you find where the cats are hanging, then set the whole kit'n'kabodle at the same depth. Works the same in the river, except you somewhat need to babyset the jugs.

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Most of my jugging is done in the current of the Arkansas River. I freefloat the jugs, and have to work constantly to keep them from getting scattered out too much, but I seem to do much better than jugging in a lake. Of course, you also have anchored jugs which stay where you put them unless dragged off by a big fish. Some folks prefer to concentrate their hooks at a particular level, but my own preference is to have hooks every 3' or so down the jugline, so as to cover the entire water column. Be sure to check the regs for the waters where you're jugging. Here in Arkansas the regs for anchored jugs are completely diffierent than the regs for freefloating jugs; there's no limit on the number of hooks here, but there are in some states.

9. channelcat_tracker

channelcat_tracker New Member

State:
    Iowa
    im proud of yea brother. only my lakes have too much currrent for me to keep an eye on. i use my jugs to catch snappers! glad to see that you have a great time!!!

10. Ace

Ace New Member

State:
    Gastonia N
    Hi Mack every one has their own style of jug fishing.I use my depth finder and check the depth all around where I am going to fish.I like to use 5/0 circle hooks with a 1/2 ounce weight about 6 inches above the hook. Because if the wind is blowing the jug will pull the line streight out .I set the hook 1 foot off the bottom.Then I set the jugs out all over the area and set back and let the fun began.

:0a26:

:cat: