Jug fishing?

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Stonybr549, Jan 14, 2010.

1. Stonybr549

Stonybr549 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Last summer we made a trip to Truman lake to go crappie fishing and I saw several people jug fishing. When I was a kid we used to jug fish but we always used milk, oil or detergent jugs. The people on Truman were using a fancier float. I never got close enough to any of them to see what they were made of or anything but they were all colored and looked like they would take up alot less room in the boat verus a jug. Im sure they purchased them from someplace but I havent seen anything like them anywhere I have been. Anyone have any idea where a guy could purchase these?

2. steveturner024

steveturner024 Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Steve Turner
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2010

3. MoHunt

MoHunt Member

State:
    Missouri
    Stony, if they were different colors, could very well have been homemade "pool noodles" jugs. Very inexpensive to make. Go to the main forum all the way on the bottom to Catfish Publications, the click on Catfishing Library. Open up the top Member Library Table of Contents, page 4 under "jugs, trotlines, limblines, etc" there's all kinds of step by step illustrations on how to make em; photos included.

I've spent a lot of time reading interesting information in the librarty and haven't read it all.

Lot of knowlegble and experienced people put that information together.

Hope this helps.

4. opposum

opposum Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    If you make some of those noodles then make sure to get some durable material for a label. I'd look at some sort of copper tag. Black markers will rub off quick on those things once they are in the water. Copper tags will be easier to read. Good luck.

5. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Good advise here. Sharpies and permenant markers peter out pretty quick. Aluminum cans split into strips make good tags. You can take an old pen and etch your info in it easy. There fun to fish and a good means of fillin the freezer but please be mindful of running them and picking them back up. A good fish can take a noodle a long ways. Good luck and take your kids, they'll have a blast.

6. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    this is the jugs i make..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=im89sa-gfrk

Fit about 15 in a milk crate...Perfect jugs!!!

P.S.Re-bar works better for the weight and it is cheaper if you know some one in consruction..

7. Rohaus

Rohaus Well-Known Member

State:
    Vilonia Ar
    I made my jugs out of 2" schedule 40 pvc. I cut it into 18" pieces, put a cap on each end and use an eye like for a screen door latch in the center of the jug to tie my line on. I use reflective tape like people put on their mail boxes so they can be seen at night. They cost a little more to make but they last forever. Whatever you use have fun. I always stay with my jugs when I am fishing them although I know some people leave them overnite, always be responsible run them regular.

8. shaky

shaky Member

State:
    smithville mo
    I use ever thing with A HANDLE ... wash them out and there good. i dont see why you shoud pay extra for jugs when you have them in front of your face..

Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
  9. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Do the same lol I only jug 2 or 3 times a year but they cheap and easy to collect from the house wife lol