Jug Fishing

Discussion in 'OHIO LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Milky, Jun 5, 2009.

1. Milky

Milky Member

State:
    Hamilton O
    Just wanted to know if you could jug fish places like Acton Lake, Cowan Lake or any of the smaller lakes in Ohio. Thanks in advanced Milky!!:confused2:

2. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    I have no idea Milky. I just want to say Welcome to the BOC. I am
    sure some Ohio people will answer your question.

3. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Never seen to many lakes you could not jug but I know all have a set limit on how many jugs you may use.

4. stangcrazy85

stangcrazy85 New Member

State:
    PerryTucky
    you can jug em all i believe never read anything that says you couldnt pm me sometime

5. bigmha

bigmha New Member

State:
    s.e. missouri
    check out the ODNR website

6. catfishfearme

catfishfearme New Member

State:
    govecity,ohio
    not sure bud:confused2:

7. bigmha

bigmha New Member

State:
    s.e. missouri
    Floatlines - Floatline or jug fishing is permitted in (1) all streams; (2) Sandusky Bay west of the New York Central Railroad bridge; (3) Berlin Lake south and west of St. Rt. 225; (4) Mosquito Lake north of the causeway and south of a line of buoys designating the waterfowl refuge; (5) Charles Mill Lake north of St. Rt. 430; (6) Clendening Lake east of St. Rt. 799; (7) Seneca Lake south of St. Rt. 147; (8) Tappan Lake above the gas line causeway and St. Rt. 646; (9) Atwood Lake north and east of St. Rt. 542 north at Dellroy; (10) Piedmont Lake in Sections 11 and 12 of Kirkwood Township; (11) Wills Creek Lake except in the area directly in front of the Muskingum Watershed Conservancy District boat landing; and (12) ALL PUBLIC WATERS EXCEPT WHERE PROHIBITED BY THE OWNER IN AUTHORITY.
    It is unlawful to set, use, or maintain more than six floatlines in all public waters of the state of Ohio less than 700 surface acres. Floats must be of nonshatterable material and bear the name and address of the user. Floats must be freely adrift and be attended by the user at all times. Treble hooks are unlawful.

8. Milky

Milky Member

State:
    Hamilton O
    I emailed the DNR and they said 6 jugs on 700 acres or less. It took them two weeks to answer my email but atleast they answered it. Thanks to all for their input.:tounge_out:

9. sgt_132

sgt_132 New Member

State:
    N-W Ohio
    Yes the 6 jugs per 700 acers is correct. You need to put your name, address, on the jug. I have been jug fishing on the maumee. I use the 1 liter clear water bottles. I put a large keem light in it so it can be seen at night and from a long distance. Now you want to talk about fun. Watching that thing being pulled uder at night. I do not do it on weekends when the river is busy. I like it during the week when there are not many boaters out. Good Luck.
    Note: What i have found is when you pull the jug out of the water I use a net. I have pulled them out with my hand and if you have a large flathead the line will break. I use 30 pound test line on my jugs. I like to bait the jugs with Blue Gill or Suckers. The biggest we have is a 22 pound flathead. Later Scott

10. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Not sure what your Big Keem lights are costing you. but our 8" glow sticks light up a water bottle like a lantern but does not bring in the bugs.. We use 2 standard water bottles bottles in the boat at night for light. I put 4 or 5 or our 8" glow sticks in there and were set. But to use for jugging you can use 1 or 2 and it will work great.
    http://www.wildwolfproducts.com/glowstick.htm
    Pete

11. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Not sure what your Big Keem lights are costing you. but our 8" glow sticks light up a water bottle like a lantern but does not bring in the bugs.. We use 2 standard water bottles bottles in the boat at night for light. I put 4 or 5 or our 8" glow sticks in there and were set. But to use for jugging you can use 1 or 2 and it will work great.
    http://www.wildwolfproducts.com/glowstick.htm
    Pete

12. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    So lets say you put them in a river. What is going to keep them from floating to the next town down river by morning? The reason for asking is a lot of rivers are hard to navigate after dark.

13. sgt_132

sgt_132 New Member

State:
    N-W Ohio
    What I do is run them up river, 1/4 mile or less. Put the jugs out. Run down river and watch. If they pass by I will go after them and or re bait them. I don't let them go all night with out watching them. Its just fun to watch them, I will not do it on a weekend when there are a lot of boat out after dark running up and down the river. Good Luck. Scott

14. Dizzywater

Dizzywater New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Okay, I've read those regs over and over and still don't get #12 All public waters except as prohibited by the owner in authority. ??? Just what does that mean? Regs are clear for the popular lakes mentioned that have specific areas for jug and trotlines, but what about, for example West Branch (Michael Kirwin Reservoir/Dam). I'd like to Jug fish it. Who is the owner in authority? Pittsburgh Corps of Engineers or State of Ohio? I presume it is the State of Ohio. Okay. Is jugging prohibited? Jug and Trotline areas are not specified like they are for nearby lakes in the area. i.e Mosquito. WB is a public waters. Can't find anything that says jugs are prohibited by owner in authority, so I guess I can jug fish anywhere in the lake I want. I don't think so. The jetskiers and pleasurecraft boaters would be all over my jugs or trotline. Dizzywater!

15. redline65

redline65 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Its your responsibility to keep an eye on them. If the body of water you are fishing is larger than I believe 700 acres and its not listed in the specified list then its fair game. Just make sure you keep an eye on em.