Jug fishing Verdigris

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA RIVERS TALK' started by Flightline, Jul 25, 2009.

1. Flightline

Flightline New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I'm fairly new to jug fishing. I have been going to spanaird creek, but after I've read some of these posts and seen pics of nice fish from verdigris I really want to try it. Any tips or advice? Should I put in at 33 landing or catoosa?
    I talked with a couple of guys this evening and they told me to put in at 33 landing and go about 2 to 2 1/2 miles down river to some concrete thing and set up my jugs there. Is this good or were they just trying to set me up. They said there was a deep hole in that area and some really big cats taken from it.

2. Quackshutr

Quackshutr New Member

State:
    Oklahoma, Collinsville
    Flight,
    I don't know about that area of the river. Only part of it I have jugged is above Lake Oolagah, putting in at Big Creek ramp.

Q

3. JEEPER

JEEPER New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I dont know that area to good. I am sure the river has big cats in it no matter where you set your jugs. I would go to where ever is clo. to your house. Fresh cut shad for blues and chan. and a flat and live perch for flats. good luck

4. Fish Dog

Fish Dog New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    On my first trip I put in at Catoosa.

5. jholl949

jholl949 New Member

State:
    Mannford. Oklah
    I have heard that 33 Landing has had problems with vehicles being broken into.

6. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    I've put in at 33 landing a couple hundred times over the years. We have had issues with a broken window on our trucks but only when we have been on the river overnight camping or just a all nighter. I've never had a problem during the day.

I know what hole your talking about, it's the deepest hole in the river and it's a good place during the winter time. During the rest of the year it's not the place I would first try. Blues are moving all the time...upstream...downsteam...creeks... above the riffles above the port during spawn. There's not a bad spot on L D 18 but where there biting one week can be completely different just a day or two later. I'd start upstream so you can follow them downsteam not starting a few miles downstream and chasing them all the way to the lock.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2009
  7. Flightline

Flightline New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Thanks guys I appreciate it. I thought the same thing about 33 landing when I looked at it last weekend.

8. Flightline

Flightline New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Thanks for the information Catfishcentral. I will take your advice and start north and work my way down.

9. Kelmar

Kelmar New Member

State:
    Bixby, Oklahoma
    I like to put in at Bluff Landing. Go out east on 71'st till you see the park sign. The park has two camp host, both are big "juggers." Nice guys, tell you everything they know to put you on the fish. You have to be in the park by 10 pm. That's when they lock the gate. Never had anyone mess with my van or trailer in the past eight years I've fished out there. Good place to find shad in the oxbow before you make it out to the channel. I will probably be out there this Saturday. If you see my boat flag me down.

Good luck

Mark

Attached Files:

10. catfishcentral

State:
    OK
    Mark,

That's a pretty fancy boat for some catfishing on the river.:tounge_out: I bet it's pretty comfy out on the water. I haven't been on the Navagation channel hardly at all this year but if I ever see your boat I'll stop and say hey. Be pretty hard to miss your boat on the channel

11. LazyBum

LazyBum New Member

State:
    East Tulsa, Okl
    I've fished there at bluff landing. Never caught anything, but hadn't been out on the river there just fished off the bank. I like going out there just to camp, very relaxing.

12. Flightline

Flightline New Member

State:
    Oklahoma

Hey catfishcentral- the guy that was telling me about that deep hole I couldn't understand him if he saying it 100ft deep or 1oo ft wide? I thought 100ft deep was little much, how big is it width and depth?

13. catfishcentral

State:
    OK
    It hits around 45 to 48 feet deep. It's the deepest hole on L @ D 18. There's some holes just about as deep right before the lock also but that hole holds a ton of fish during the winter.

14. okiefishkiller

okiefishkiller New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    i fish out of rogers point quit a bit and have caught monsters down and up stream from there. hope you use big equipment.