Jug fishing on the Blind River - Is 2/0 Circle hooks to small for jug fishing?

Discussion in 'LOUISIANA RIVERS TALK' started by ERIC S, Apr 13, 2009.

1. ERIC S

ERIC S New Member

State:
    Baton Rouge LA
    Went jug fishing on Friday on Blind River. Did't catch a thing. When we picked our jugs up there was no bait, I am using a 2/0 circle hook. Is this to small. We were using cherry/garlic hotdogs and night crawlers. Need some advise

2. catfishjon

catfishjon New Member

State:
    texas
    Sounds like bait stealer's to me. My preference on hook size is 4/0 to 6/0 and I bait with cut shad and live perch. If I bait early in the day, I suffer a lot of lost bait due to bass, gar, and turtles. Everything eats worms, so its just a matter of having the bait in the water when they are hungry. Try switching bait and baiting times and I'll bet you start catching. I had 175 hooks in the water Saturday night when the storms moved tru, and caught only 10 fish. Most of the bait was still on the lines. Catfishjon

3. ERIC S

ERIC S New Member

State:
    Baton Rouge LA
    I am going to try shrimp and crawfish next time . Is there any places aroung baton rouge to by bait. All I have found is night crawlers. Is there and commercially produced bait that is worth using?

4. cj7

cj7 New Member

State:
    AR
    Eric welcome to the BOC. You can buy carp at some bait stores. If you are after channels grocery store baits are a good option chicken livers etc..

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Sounds too small to me, but it can depend on the particular design of the circle hook. The distance between the point of the hook and the shank must be great enough to slide over the corner of the mouth, or the hook will simply slip on out, rather than hooking the fish.

6. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    I use a kahle hook by mustad 37141 in 4/0. I have good luck with them.

7. randallewis

randallewis New Member

State:
    Louisiana --Shreveport
    Eric if you can find a fish market buy some buffalo loin. It runs about $1.15/lb. Cut into small chunks and hook the hook thru the meat and the skin. It will stay on the hook. Good cut bait.

8. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    eric you got a 100k acres of water all along the hyways and byways round baton rouge so go get you a cane pole and some small really small gold aberdean hooks and catch you some 3 to 4 inch perch.hook them real shallow just under the dorsal fin and set your jugs again.channels blues and flatheads will eat these small baits and you catch rate will increase cause all fish hit live bait harder than dead or prepared.

9. BAYOU-FLATHEAD

BAYOU-FLATHEAD New Member

State:
    AR
    Eric, If you can't drag for crawfish, try and get some big shiners(minnows). Atleast with minnows the bream want eat them like they eat worms. If you know anyone with a small pond try and catch some bream. They are legal if you catch them in a private pond no matter how they are caught. You can use them out of public water if they are caught on a hook. Hope this info helps.

10. BAYOU-FLATHEAD

State:
    AR
    Randall, I couldn't believe it ,but me, my wife and my son caught a huge buffalo two weeks ago on a trotline. It must have been twenyfive pounds. It works real good as cut bait and it lasts a long time.

11. scrantny

scrantny New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    i fish the blind river and usually set jugs just around my buddys camp ...... to me the jug fishin is better in the cuts and canals than in the river itself..... there are a few canals or cuts south of maurepas that i have done decent in.....i use the 4/0 circle hooks most of the time but i also sometimes switch it up with different hooks.... the eels and gar seem to steal the softer baits like worms and hotdogs...if you have a cast net, the shad that run in that area is an excellent cut bat for cats...

12. Rohaus

Rohaus Well-Known Member

State:
    Vilonia Ar
    I use 4/0 or 5/0 circles or Kahles on my jugs. We use the hotdogs like you mentioned and get good hook ups with this size hooks. We usually bait half of our jugs with the hotdogs and half with trotline minnows and do equally well with both baits.

13. BAYOU-FLATHEAD

State:
    AR
    Eric, You can catch some shad at the launch in Plaquemine. Throw between the boat slips on the concrete. Don't throw to the far right of the last slip because there is alot of rocks there.

14. scrantny

scrantny New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    hey Rohaus,

are you using the hot dogs right out of the package or doctoring them up a bit.....

i found a recipe on the net that i use and works well if there are cats in the area...

might as well post it here......

it calls for.....
    1 pack of hot dogs - cut into 3/4 to 1inch chunks
    1-2 cans of Tuna in OIL---use the oil only.... a few bits of the tuna shouldnt hurt.
    1-2 garlic heads minced or chopped well
    onion powder - season to taste...lol
    also add some salt to the mix
    and thats about it....:bye:

i've also made a batch adding different ingredients such as... strawberry kool aid powder, parmesean cheese, macaroni and cheese powder, etc....

you can add anything else you want i guess....this seems to work for me....