Jug fishing on the Arkansas

Discussion in 'ARKANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by Kate Cat, Jul 10, 2009.

1. Kate Cat

Kate Cat New Member

State:
    Coppell TX
    going out Saturday jug fishing on the Arkansas around Little Rock, any body catching fish on jugs and how deep?

2. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    1st welcome to the hood!!!! 2nd i run mine from 3ft to 10ft 2 hooks each:big_smile:

3. fox9988

fox9988 Member

State:
    Lincoln,NW Arkansas
    Name:
    Forrest
    I've always ran 1 hook near the bottom and 1 hook half way up.The bottom hooks always catch 80% of the fish,in my experience.Good luck.

4. Rohaus

Rohaus Well-Known Member

State:
    Vilonia Ar
    I usually fish the stretch between Toad Suck and Murray and my lines are 3,4, &5 ft and they all seem to catch fish equally. I use hook on the end of the line with a large split shot to hold the bait down. Welcome to the hood and good luck. I usually put in at Palarm Creek.

5. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I would not fish the river, to much current for me to worry with, hate to loose my Noodles in the current, I WILL fish a flat off the river, my drops are 2 to 4 foot deep.

6. Rohaus

Rohaus Well-Known Member

State:
    Vilonia Ar
    Good point Top. I also do not jug in the main channel of the river for the same reasons. There are several flats where the rock jetties break the current to jug in. Again good luck and be sure to let us know how the trip turns out, thats how we all learn by sharing our experiences good or bad.

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Welcome to the BOC! Different strokes for different folks! I mostly jug the Arkansas right in the current. It's a whole nuther world from jugging the flats. You're constantly running back and forth checking for jugs that have gotten into a backwater or hung up; grab them and drop them off back in the main pack. This is NOT a laid-back way to jug! But I seem to have a lot better luck jugging the current than when I jug a backwater. My favorite area in central Arkansas is from Toadsuck down to around Parham Creek...not quite as far down as Murray. I seem to do best down around the Bigelow-Fouche Creek section of the river. I use 2-liter soda jugs with hooks at 3', 6', 9', and 12'. I tie on a 16p or 20p nail about a foot below the bottom hook for a weight; it's cheap, and doesn't seem to hang up as badly as a regular sinker. I put 3 or 4 ounces of clean gravel or scrap lead inside each jug to keep them from blowing so badly in the wind, and to make them into 'flagging' jugs that stay tipped up after I get a bite. The outside is painted bright yellow for high visibility, although I sometimes use other bright colors for my grandsons. They get a special kick knowing a fish was caught on one of 'their' jugs. I'm hoping to get up a gathering at Toadsuck later this summer.

8. Big Sam

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    In the summer time i run mine in the main current like Jtrew......It is work keeping up but you would be surprised how well one can do!!!:wink:

9. Rohaus

Rohaus Well-Known Member

State:
    Vilonia Ar
    Hey Jerry & Sam, how many jugs do you guys use when fishing in the current? I have wanted to try it that way but my partner always talks me out of it.

10. Big Sam

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    The most we throw is 20 total we use noodles instead of jugs....If there biting good we back off so we dont have to chase as many around...we only run them when one of us has a fish fry going down:wink:

11. Kate Cat

Kate Cat New Member

State:
    Coppell TX
    Thanks for the tips guys Jerry do you float your jugs or are they on the bottom in the current