Jug Fishing in Kansas ?

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by River Outlaw, Feb 18, 2008.

1. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    While looking around on the KDWP site I found a blog about jug fishing in Kansas. Until now I didn't know jug fishing is not permitted in Kansas waters. To tell the truth, I never gave it any thought. On the blog, of course, there are people for and against it. Personally, I can respect the beliefs on both sides.

I had started giving thought to jug fishing this year until I just read that it is not permitted. If I were asked for my opinion on the matter, I say yes.

I would like input from the Kansas fisherman on this. Maybe a change is in order ?

2. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Im for it as long as they hace stricter laws for it.You can really wipe a lake out if it is not regulated or not regulated well.Another thing is that people will check your jugs for you and some will even cut them.Aside from all that it is an effective way to catch a lot of fish, people just need to realize the importance of selective harvest.

3. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    I do not think Kansas lakes have the numbers to support jug fishing. Trophy Blue and Channel fishing in Kansas lakes is not very prevalent. Our Flathead population is great. If you allow another method, it will be another hit to the population. Plus I do not see any way they could police it. They can't police trout lines, limb lines or hand fishing as it is. The other concern for me is, if you have a boat with say 3 people in it. Each is allowed say 5-10 jugs per person. One boat has put out jugs and covered and entire section of the lake or river. That doesn't let anyone else fish that area. We currently hold the Flathead world record. Lets not start allowing everyone to catch fish every way possible and ruin it. I just don't see why we need another method of catching fish.
    They already allowed noodling down by Wichita a few years ago. I still don't know why they did that. At least it is after the spawn. Most people around here didn't bother to look up the regs though. They just heard that noodling was legal, so they all go to the river every spring here and catch all the large flatties during the spawn.

4. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    i know most people are against it but for me and my knowledge jugs can be used as long as they are tied off to something and not just floating around either way i dont care if they allow them not to be tied or not

5. derail

derail New Member

State:
    kansas
    I used jugs growing up and had lots of luck. Don't mind the use of them as long as the're used responsibly and then removed. Hate to see 'em just left, as if they're gonna just gonna go away.

6. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    My first experience with jugs was down at Texoma Lake. I was fairly new to Catfishing then and the first time I left the cove (Soldier) to go fishing and came onto the main lake I seen all these jugs, waterdepth was like 50' or so. I'm wondering what in the world are all these "trotlines" doing out here in this deep water.:embarassed: That wasn't to bad though, I was able to see and steer around them. Coming back in that evening in the dark was a different story. I don't know how many times I had to stop and cut those things loose from my prop, not a fun job.
    Personnaly, I HATE to see something like that on Milford Lake, not only for that reason, but also for the reasons Jay and a couple others posted.

7. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Jug fishing has it's time and place, just not overdoing it and overharvesting more than what you'll eat. I jug fish occasionally for the fun of it and sometimes for the food. It's legal here in Ohio but you have to put your name and address on each one. That makes you responsible for any wrongdoings such as leaving them like what was said earlier. I practice CPR and only keep primarily under 10 pounds for eaters. The rest are released unharmed. Hopefully more people will understand the sport and be more responsible when jug fishing.

8. ronlyn239

ronlyn239 New Member

State:
    Bartlesvil
    I do some jug fishing here in OK, and it's a fun way to fish. I check them about three times a day, and when I am through with a trip, I take 'em up. I've got a better jug than a milk bottle on a string, and am not going to give them away voluntarily.

Don't have a lot of trouble with others running them for me, at least I don't think so, as I seem to do ok as far as numbers. I also hunt down missing jugs, at least until it becomes apparent that someone has relieved me of the jug to use as a pattern for their own. I still prefer to feel that cat on a rod, however. Nothing like that feeling.......

9. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I always do my best to retrieve all my jugs, but it's not always possible. As already stated, sometimes, they are picked up by other people when they see a fish is on it, and sometimes I lose some to barges going up & down the river. As far as creating a hazard for boats, I'll admit that some steering may be involved, but I've never seen one have to slow down to get past my jugs. And at night, if you're running without a light where I jug, don't worry about your prop, because you're going to lose the whole motor and transom off your boat when you hit a floating log or submerged tree.

10. mandingo

mandingo Member

State:
    kansas
    i went fishing in oklahoma a few years back and if you havent ever checked their laws of fishing down there,pretty much everything goes.7 poles per person,100 hooks per trot,5 hooks per limbline,noodling legal,jug lines 5 hooks per jug etc,etc.the more i talked to locals,the more i learned that jug lines are a pain in the ass to other fisherman.there are some people who takes care of their jugs and fishes with them the right way,but they are way outnumbered by the ones who dont.thats what i learned from fishermen in a state where it has been legal for some time.im against it!

11. CRORUPT

CRORUPT New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I think if you allowed Jugging then the laws on trotlines might have to change as well.

12. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Under Arkansas law, anchored jugs are considered to be trotlines, but freefloating jugs fall under their own set of regs.

13. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    well, after a couple of days of people responding and whats been said, i think my mind has been changed. i wanted to jug fish b/c i have never done it but now i think it dont matter if i do or not. there has been things said i never thought of. being a catfisherman since an early age i learned the "old school" way that seemed to me was get em however ya can. my boys (11 & 3) are learning from me and i want there to be quality fish for them & my grandchildren to catch in the future.

14. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Nothing wrong with that idea at all. But I do like to jugfish, so my idea is to teach my grandkids how to catch a lot of fish, keep what we can eat, and release the rest, especially the big ones. That's a concept that I didn't learn for years and years.