Jug Fishing Ideas

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by WylieCat, Jun 5, 2008.

1. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I have an idea for jug fishing. It is designed to protect the tradition and also protect the pleasure boaters that are increasing on our public waters in NC.

The two problems that jugs present are, 1)a navigation and safety hazard to boaters and water skiers, and 2) a liter control issue because it is easy to lose jugs in the darkness.

My suggestion is to pass a law to allow jugging only during daylight hours (sunrise to sunset) unless the jugs are equipped with battery operated lights.

I think it is a good way to accomodate the juggers and keep the waterways safe for pleasure boaters. :wink:

Thoughts?

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I would think if your responsible enough to operate a boat, you should be responsible enough to navigate around jugs. Problem is some people are macho and just have to run over a jug that is in the water. It may be a better law to require jugs left out at night to have reflective material, and another to require boats use hand held spot lights at nights while under power to avoid these dangerous obstacles.

3. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    It may be a better law to require jugs left out at night to have reflective material..."

The problem with that is that "reflective material" needs light from a direct sournce to reflect, and boats operating at night only use navigation lights.

Requiring every jug to have a small battery powered light would be awesome. It would make it much safer.

"...require boats use hand held spot lights at nights while under power to avoid these dangerous obstacles..."

Absolutely NOT!

There are enough idiots out there already, breaking the law I might add, that have "headlights" on their pontoon boats and swing spotlights around looking at where they are going. Spotlights at night are a danger and hinder TO OTHER BOATS that are operating.

If you can not see well enough at night to operate a boat without a spotlight then you should stay home.

4. kennylee

kennylee New Member

State:
    Missouri -
    Hey Wylie, I can tell you are not a jug fishermen, because if you were you would know its almost impossible to jug fish rivers with recreational boat traffic on it durring the day.
    Jugs get run over, pushed to the sides and when you go in to get them you get wave slapped into the shallows, not to mention the wave runners using your jugs as a slolom coarse.
    Most jug fishing is done at night after a the pleasure boater put their boats up for the night. I also think most people jugging make an extra effort to reclaim all their jugs and some times one get away but most of the time the ones that get away are from dishonest people that pick up jugs with fish on them and take the jug to a different area and discard it.
    Just what we all need is another special interest Law!

5. CATFISHGARY1

CATFISHGARY1 New Member

State:
    Coats,North Carolina
    i have to agree with wylie thats a good idea, for one the channel is made for boats to move around the lake in a safe manor not for someone to put a bunch of jugs in your way ,take for granted i have seen guys put them outside the channel but a breeze or a wake can push it right into the channel, and the spotlight idea yea thats not a good thing most of the time i see alot better atnight with my running lights on than anything else, but the day thing or lights would be the way to go that way you dont have the people thinking your crossing them out they still fish with there jugs or whatever , and those guys on the river thats a deffinent thats nothing but a hazard,sometimes on the river its hard to move with all the jugs on the river i had to idle for 2 miles one night for the jugs ,thats not only unsafe but very disrespectful

6. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    I have a family with kids. when summer rolls in we spend more time sking and innertubing than fishing. during daylight because it is the only time it is legal. It isnt safe to have that many jugs scattered over such a large area and that be just one boats set. I dont think they should be allowed near boat ramps, and along the channels at lakes that funnel boats to one (intersection). I also think there should be a season on them and only use this method on less busy times of the year. and mostly at night. I dont travel fast at night and have less trouble seeing them with my headlights. spotlight are an issue and dont know how to address it but you cant shine a deer or rabbit (even just to look) but some moron can shine me for his navigational purposes every few minutes. Thats not right... Its everybodys lake and everybody should be able to do what they want....within reason. Jet skis have laws they must abide by as do rod and reel fisherman as do innertubers as does the swimmers. and so should juggers. I dont have anything against any of the above activities but all must give a little. jmo

7. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I never jugged during the day. Do people actually catch many? Pleasure boats alot of times don't care about the little man putting some fish on the table for the family .I wouldn't be running my boat that fast after dark. Seems to me if your jugging there shouldn't be that much or fast traffic (night) .Everyone has there own view this is just mine .Stayin with the jugs ain't a bad idea. I am sure anyone who has jug fished has been rouged at least once . If someone is tearing up the lake after dark it is a recipe for disaster anyway .

8. screamin clicker

screamin clicker New Member

State:
    Burlington North Carolina
    if ya like seeing jugs floating in the water day or night come on up to kerr lake, i`ve seen times when they were stretched across the entire channel. i have also chased down several jugs when no one was even out there, and yes no name or other contact info, so of course i cpr`ed those fish, and threw the jugs in the closest trash can when i got back to the ramp, so come on up. lol:angry:

9. buckshot1

buckshot1 New Member

State:
    reidsville n.c.
    jug fishing should outlawed all together unless you targeting turtles just my opinion.:big_smile:

10. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    I made a comment the other day that jugs at night should have at least big glowsticks on them.

11. shrewboy

shrewboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I personaly think jug fishing should be done during the night hours. Maybe with a time frame like 10pm-8am or maybe after midnight. This would alow most of the recreational boats and even some of the early evening fisherman off the lake before flooding the lake with jugs. If catfishermen are having trouble during the night and early morning hours trying to get around the jugs put out during the night, Just think what kind of mess it would be juring the day with 5 times as many boaters pulling kids on tubes, the skiers and all the joy riders. I believe there would be alot more accidents on the lake then ever before.

I know that there is a new law that will be in effect in July with 70 jugs per person or boat, which ever. I still think that a single boat could not watchall 70 jugs and retrive them on each outing. What I would like to see is less jugs per person or boat as well as some type of light device. I know that those little yellow glow sticks for floats work well at night. One night I could see some last year across a big cove one night. I believe they were marking a trout line or something because the lights didn't move all night and all the jugs that were out that night were being blown all over that night. I also believe the jugger should be with in eye sight of the jugs as well.

12. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Personally, I would no more take my boat out on the water at night without spotlights than I would attempt to drive down the highway without headlights.

13. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    If you use 2 or 3 liter coke bottles as your jugs you can go to the camp isle in wal mart and buy big glow stiks to put in them for your jugs. This works very well and you can see them a long ways off.

14. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    Ok, you got me, requiring daylight only fishing might make things worse.

So, requiring lights, and requiring that they be tethered to the boat so that someone can control them might be a better option for a law.

Under current NC law would it be perfectly legal for me to use 55 gallon drums for jugging?

Ideas?

15. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    both of them ideas could help. it's a shame we have to turn to laws when the whole argument is over common courtesy issues

16. BUCK

BUCK Guest

ncwc needs to look at sante copper and they would see a how much money that cats bring to sc ; i fished with a man thats fished santee for 50 years 200 times a year and ask him what ncwc needs to do to have the great fishing that santee has he told me flat out BANNED JUGGING. i dont like looking at the trash that they are leaving so when the new law comes in i well be calling them . i when they get tied of me calling the they will do something about all the trash . and that will mean bannig jugging ive seen blue cats taking out of our lakes by the truck load . some one was making money or trowing them away. becauce they cant eat all those fish. i feel these way becauce i would like to leave the next generation .

17. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    My opinion is that it is time that the idea of controlling jugs be brought before the NCWRC to see what can be done.

I was reading some the Netting Restictions for North Carolina, and one of them is that the nets be attended and that is defined as being within 100 yards of the nets at all times. That sounds like a management practice that could virtually eliminate jugs floating free to liter the lake and river banks and possibly damage boats.

I would also like to see it be required that the name and license information be attached to each jug that is being fished. This provides accountability for those who place jugs out on the public waters in case someones boat became damaged from the jug, or should the jug drift free to liter the shoreline.

18. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    You can make all the rules you want about being in sight of the jugs, ect. but it's not going to do any good. How many times do you run into a wildlife officer at 1 or 2 in the morning? There just simply isn't enough law enforcement on our waterways. People would steal a lot more if there were no locks and only your conscience to keep you from doing so. Also, I believe that you don't have to put your name or info on the jug, I think that would be a major step right there. Jugging is going to continue no matter how much some of us dislike it. They're just out there catching the fish that are there for everyone. Until it's proven that it's detrimental to the environment and the catfish as a renewable resource nothing is going to be done and given the fact that the state sees large species of catfish as a screw up I doubt that anything will ever be done.

19. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    "...Until it's proven that it's detrimental to the environment and the catfish as a renewable resource nothing is going to be done..."

Wes, I don't believe that jug fishing is detrimental to catfish population. None of my arguments for new legislation stem from that. My opinion is that jug fishing is ok as long as some tighter guidelines are in place to eliminate liter and damage to property.

I agree that laws, like locks, only keep honest people honest, but they also give those with less of a sense of right and wrong a bit of guidance. Whether or not the rules will be enforced is not a reason for not making sure they are written into existence. Wildlife officers may not be out looking for illegal juggers, but if they find them I can guarantee a ticket will be issued.

Again, laws are as much a guide as anything else.

20. torwe

torwe New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I have been over the nc regs and cant seem to find any for using jugs. Can anyone help me here?:roll_eyes: