Jug fishing...How far off bottom?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by wildturkey, Mar 11, 2009.

1. wildturkey

wildturkey New Member

State:
    Texas
    I keep hearing people say how deep they fish, but I need to know how far off the bottom to put the bait. Also, do you free float the jugs or weight them down? I fished the last two days with jugs and only caught 4 fish. I had 12 jugs out.
    Jim

2. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I find the fish on my locator and set my jugs at that depth. If the water is 20 ft or less I use a weight.

Welcome to the BOC

3. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Since I mostly jug on the river, freefloating is a whole 'nuther ball game, compared to anchored jugs. I use just enough weight to keep the line down, a 16p or 20p nail.

4. wildturkey

wildturkey New Member

State:
    Texas
    Thanks guys,
    I have had people say that they only fish about 5' deep no matter how deep the water and others say a lot deeper. I fish a large lake (185,000 acres) so a lot of variables. I thought the coves where a creek hit the main lake would be good. I never thought about using my fish finder to locate fish...DUH! The main lake can get pretty rough in windy conditions such as I had earlier this week, therefore I was limited as to where to set my jugs.

So...You free float in the river and weight them down in the lake?

Thanks for your input.

Jim

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I only use anchored jugs when I want them to stay where I put them. Checking out spots to see if they are honeyholes, for flatheads, and where I want to be able to leave them unattended. Arkansas law requires freefloating jugs to be attended at all times from dawn to sunset, but anchored jugs only have to be checked once a day, like trotlines.

6. fish_head

fish_head New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    We like to use 1/2 gal milk jugs. They pack good and seem to hook up good. 50# mono about 6 feet long, tied to eye of jug, then a sinker at the other end. Use what it takes to keep it down, I use a 1/2 oz a lot. Then I tie 2 loop droppers or whatever you want to call them off that. I set them just off the bottom, but the hooks are off the bottom. And they have to be free-floating here, or else they are same as a set line or trot line and different rules I guess. ANyway they drift with the wind and the depth varies, and they catch fish. I don't think you have to be right on the bottom. I would try shallow water 1st. Fish are hungry if they are shallow.
    Good luck

7. cj7

cj7 New Member

State:
    AR
    I put on two to three hooks at differnt depths on the same jug. It lets you fish different depths plus the more hooks in the water:tounge_out: The better your odds. Good luck

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Personal preference, but I don't like to use milk jugs because I feel they are too flimsy. My personal test to see if a jug is strong enough is to put the cap on it, lay it on the floor, then stand on it and bounce a little. That very roughly approximates the pressure on the jug if a fish takes it down to 30' or so.

For hook placement, I like to cover the entire water column as much as possible. There have been times when I caught most of my fish near the bottom, and other times when most were caught near the surface; but mostly, I seem to catch them throughout the water column. Again, that's personal preference.

Nothing beats experimenting to see what works best for you, where you fish, and how you fish.