jug fishing help

Discussion in 'Alternative Methods of Catching Catfish' started by Jollymon, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    i would like to know, when having multi hooks on line how do u get the hooks to stand off main line or is this a problem never done any jug fishing but i want 2 try it

2. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    I think a lot of it would be what kinds of water are you going to be fishing? How deep, how swift, ect.. The thing I would want to remember if you are fishing an area where the fish are suspended at 3' or 5' or 8' then you would want your hooks floating around the same area..I fish the Missouri River and I only run one hook ... reason is most of the fish I mark are 3 to 5 feet suspended..I don't float jugs that drag the bottom..I run jugs either at 3 or 5 feet..If I am fishing a lake and the fish are suspended at 15 to 20 feet then I would have multiple hooks..just remember..multiple hooks can cause multiple problems..bring in a good fish you have the other hooks to watch out for.. You can tie them to give a inch or so slack in the drop..if you have any current then the current will keep the bait pulled back as it floats. Without more information..can't help any more then this.

3. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I just make 3"-4" dropper loops in the mainline and attach my hooks...nothing special. That's worked for me for 25 years.

4. Vector

Vector New Member

State:
    Midwest
    What's your minimum distance you'll tie one hook from the next JT?

How many max hooks on one line?

Thanks!

Vector

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    State law requires that the droppers on trotlines be at least 24" apart, and anchored jugs are considered to be trotlines. Freefloating jugs are in their own category, and there's no distance specified between hooks, I wouldn't put them any closer just to be safe. IMO, there's no need to put them that close together anyway. I originally put my hooks 30" apart, but several years ago I changed them to 36" apart.
    As far as whether to fish just one section of the water column or try to fish it all, that's strictly up to you. Lots of our members are very happy fishing a particular level of the water column, and you can never argue with success. Of course, if you're trying to target fish in a specific part of the water column, you first have to use your fish finder to determine the level they're at, then rig all your jugs for that level. I'm too lazy to do all that, which is why I try to cover the entire water column, as much as possible. My advice is to try different things and see what you like best, and what works best for you.

6. Vector

Vector New Member

State:
    Midwest
    Thanks for the response Jerry.

Do you feel like catfish will feed DOWN if they're suspended?

I'm REALLY looking forward to trying this stuff out! I'm going noodle shopping tonight! :smile2:

Vector

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I definitely think that catfish will feed down, unlike crappie, which readily feed up, but seldom down.

8. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    If catfish can smell it they will go where the bait is most of the time. I have had times if they were at 20ft in 40 ft of water. You had to stay at or above the 20ft mark.
    But for the most part they feed where the bait is.
    Good luck and enjoy catching them.
    Pete

9. backwoodsman68geric

backwoodsman68geric New Member

State:
    illinois
    When we use to jug for bullheads we'd use 2 or 3 hooks on a jug just tied into the main line about 8"-2'apart. Ive only used more then 1 hook a few times for channels. Depending on the size of cats in the water and bait we're using we use 1/0 to 6/0 hooks, preferably stainless steel/nickel plated. Years ago treble hooks we're popular for setlines but they've fallen out of favor, lots of trouble and expense. Hope this helps and good luck. What are you using for jugs? 2 liter soda bottles work great,so do the round plastic juice containers ie:V8, etc.they are actually a little tougher then the soda bottles.

10. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    thaanks for the reply, i,mgoing 2 us 2 lt bottle seems like they r in good suppl at home.i just found out i could us more than 1 hook on a jug in N.C, after reading about jug fishing here on the BOC, I just got 2 try it sounds like FUN