Jug Fishing for flathead catfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by saltforkcatman, Jul 12, 2006.

1. saltforkcatman

saltforkcatman New Member

State:
    Senecaville,Ohio
    hey i was jus wonderin if any one had any advice on jugging for flatheads its in a man mad lake in ohio and i just aint been gettin much results i use 12/0 circle hooks with a one ounce sinker and a gallon milkjugs with a live bluegill please HELP:angry:

2. moosman66

moosman66 New Member

State:
    virginia
    Welcome to the brotherhood Dale!

If you plan on leaving the jugs their for any length of time, say maybe a couple of days. I would try to find a cove with cover such as sunk logs root masses ect. In the same vicinty as deep water and place the jugs around the nastiest looking cover you can find their with the bait that is most plentiful in your lake, because the flatheads will be use to eating it since it's the most plentiful. The flats should come out to feast after hours around all the cover. Hope this helps good luck Brother.

3. saltforkcatman

saltforkcatman New Member

State:
    Senecaville,Ohio
    thanks mooseman i usualy only leave them for a few hours at a time i havent caught a nice one yet this year the biggest was about 20 pounds

4. Gone fishin 4 kittys

Gone fishin 4 kittys New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA

I'm all about getting some big hooks but they way most circles hooks are by the time you get to 7/0 the gauge(the thickness) will kill the bluegill within in 10 or 20 minutes you might wana downsize the hook or go with khale hooks.

I really can't offer all that much more advice i have never really gone jug fishing Pennsylvania will not allow it.

moosman66 had some good advice though.

Josh

5. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    fishing circle hooks on jugs may not put enough pressure on hook to get the hook set.switch to j hooks that might help.

6. KGK20

KGK20 New Member

State:
    MISSOURI
    u would probaly have better luck setting them right before dark and not bothering them till morning. make sure you set them next to logjams or rootwads. try tto tie about 3 to 5 feet of line to them so they stay in one spot. dont use any weight. also set them in shallow water.that is were the flattys feed at night.

7. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i would stay away from milk jugs they tend to get destroyed or sank really easy. when i fish for yellas i go to sand bars and set jugs or limblines about 18" deep and use free swimming live perch. i bait at dusk and dont check till about an hour after dawn.

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    A one gallon milk jug has over 3500# of pressure trying to crush it at a depth of 33'. Yes, it's evenly distributed over the surface of the jug, but that's still a lot of pressure, trying to blow the cap off. My personal feeling is that if I toss a jug down on the floor, stand on it, gently bounce up and down, and everything holds together, that type of jug's ok for fishing. If a 2 or 3 liter soda jug isn't big enough to suit you, try an anti-freeze jug, or a laundry detergent jug. Both of those are nice and stout; I've used both types on trotlines that were kept out all summer long, and never had a problem with them. (A milk jug will get brittle.)

9. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i use delo(spelling) oil jugs. they are gallon sized but the position of the handle makes them hard for a fish to pull down (flattest widest side will be pulled against)
    the plastic that they use is also very tough and does not get brittle very fast

10. waterwalker

waterwalker New Member

State:
    Louisville Ohio
    Care needs to be taken when jugging in Ohio, each lake has a designated
    area for jug fishing, check the lake you want to fish or check ODNR for
    the regs for your lake. You can't set them and leave them...you have to stay with your jugs.

11. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Look for a post from Brian (Doughboy) He did very well with jugs at Saltfork, right near the main Marina. Are you catch and release?

Welcome to the BOC from Coshocton. :smile2:

12. jsharper

jsharper New Member

State:
    TX
    My experience with jugs has been trail and error. If you are dropping jugs in cover, you need to make sure that your line is short, under 2 ft. a decent cat on a long jug line will wrap it around lots of stuff and you will lose the fish and line. I don't believe they can get off and probably die there. Just something to watch. On anchored jugs, you can set them close to cover, just so they can't get there. Ther is some moving room on the anchored jugs, the longer they are, the more slack line there is.

Jim