Jug fishing for catfish in georgia

Discussion in 'LOCAL GEORGIA TALK' started by chambers bd, Mar 7, 2008.

1. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    Is catfishing with jugs legal in the state of georgia?

2. papasage

papasage Member

State:
    Fitzgerald, Geo
    the onley thing ellegal is shoking and baskets in some waters .
    O YES DINAMITE :haha:

3. Whiskerlips

Whiskerlips New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Yep, it's legal, and that's how fishing for catfish became my favorite. Went out with an uncle when I was a kid out on Lake Oconee. Got there about sundown. Cast net for bream, cut them up, baited the hooks, and basically watched my uncle chug beer for the next couple of hours. Came home with a ton of cats. Catfish have been my favorite ever since. I've heard using those swimming pool noodles cut into about 2 foot lengths with a thin pvc pipe (capped) down the middle is a good set up. I'll try it this summer.

Oh, I just took a look at the Georgia Regulation book for 2008-2009........"Trotlines and jugs are not permitted on Lake Tobesofkee or any State Park lake" and that's the only mention of jug fishing.

So I'm assuming it's okay everywhere else.

4. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
  5. altamahajon

altamahajon New Member

State:
    Jesup, Georgia
    According to the regulations in Georgia all it requires is that you have a tag on each jug with your name address and phone number on them. You can go to the Dept of Natuarl Resources and download for free the regulations. It is a pdf file with lots of good info.

I make the noodle type jugs attached is a picture of them. They work really well. Once your thru wrap the string , line or leaders around the foam and put the hook in them. where you can put them in the boat stacked or however and be safe.

1/2 inch pvc with T top so that you can use them from the boat, bank trees or through out a rope and let it sit and you can pull it back in with out getting in the water for bankers...... and kids...... cost is cheap to build. At the bottom I put a swivel where that when the line is pulled it can roll around on the pvc and not the line. I use a cotter pin pressed flat against the pipe to keep from getting hung up on line or obstacles.

Enjoy
    AJ

Attached Files:

6. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    Interesting rigs there Jon, Thanks for the info and pics...

Puddle...:wink:

7. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I've tried limblines before, but never jugging. May have to make me a dozen and play around with em this summer.

8. altamahajon

altamahajon New Member

State:
    Jesup, Georgia
    SPORT TROTLINES ​
    [FONT=Arial,Arial]and JUGS

• A "sport trotline" is one line or a combination of lines using less than 51hooks. Sport trotlines must be:
    1. Marked with the owner’s name and address and with visible buoys
    2. Submerged at least three (3) feet below the surface of the water
    3. Attended regularly and removed after the completed fishing trip.
    Unmarked or unattended trotlines will be confiscated by DNR. It is unlawful
    [/FONT]to use any sport trotline [FONT=Arial,Arial]within one-half mile below any lock or dam.
    • Only catfish and nongame fish (year-round) and American and Hickory shad during shad season may be taken with trotlines.
    • Trotlines and jugs are not permitted on Lake Tobesofkee or any State Park lake.
    Use of 5
    [/FONT]1[FONT=Arial,Arial]or more hooks is considered Commercial Fishing
    [/FONT]