Jug depth for Arkansas River ?

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARKANSAS TALK' started by Wiscars, Apr 25, 2007.

1. Wiscars

Wiscars New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I am wanting to know how deep to fish my jugs for most fish and fewest hangups. If this is possible please reply. My boy and I like to float with them. We use the flagging jugs with PVC and sliding weight. We like them because they show not only when a fish is on, like noodles, but also when they've had a bite! Sure saves time rebaiting without bothering jugs still fishing. We've had great luck with the Lake Set ( 20', 30', 40', 50' ) on Bull Shoals and Norfork in summer till Halloween. This new set of 40 are smaller but need to get some advice from the pro's on depth for the River Set. Making Jugs and fooling with gear for cats is like our way of Tying Flies. Great Site!:smile2:

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Let me add my welcome to the B.O.C. to go with the others you have all ready received. I'm not sure, in fact, I have no idea as to how to answer your question. As you monitor your thread, if jtrew gets on and gives you some advice, listen to him. He is quite knowledgeable on jugs... er, fishing that is.

3. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    I set mine about 4-5ft and do pretty goos. I use noodles with a 2 kahle hook set up. the fish come up in the morning to feed usually. the only problem we have now is consistantly finding enough shad to bait them all out:crazy: Plus you can check the library out there is info there on jugs:smile2:

4. CNTRYBOY

CNTRYBOY New Member

State:
    Benton, Ar
    I have to go with Big Sam on this. I usually run my lines 5 - 6 feet deep on my jugs. Can't see puling up 20' of line to check the bait or get a fish off!

5. rj112275

rj112275 New Member

State:
    TN
    keep 'em shallow. some good advice already given. keep 6' or less is good.

6. NIMROD

NIMROD New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I set my lines 6' to 9' long with a 6/0 or bigger SS eagle claw and no weight. We bait with live perch and nothing else. I have seen my son make noodles with lines as short as 2' and do good at night over at some lakes even.

7. BigB

BigB New Member

State:
    Van Buren, Arkansas
    i run a 10ft line with 2 8/0 eagleclaw L7228 circle hooks at 6 and 9ft with weight on end anywhere from 4oz to 1 pound

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    First, the disclaimers. :wink: This information is for jugging the Arkansas River in central Arkansas, jugging for blues and channels. Other waters may require a different setup. And in 24 years of jugging the Arkansas, I've never caught a flathead on a freefloating jug. Yes, I've caught some on jugs after they got hung up and became stationary, but never one that was floating on downstream. I don't say it can't happen, but at first I baited some jugs with live bream, and while I did catch an occasional blue, never caught a flathead. So, the primary bait is cut bait: skipjack or fresh cut shad. Fresh skipjack is better than frozen skipjack, but I'd hate to have to pick between frozen skipjack and fresh cut shad.
    One problem I think you'll have with standard size noodles is being able to see them. It's not like the lake, where you put out your jugs over a given area and they pretty well stay there unless a fish drags one away. On the Arkansas, the current is going to scatter those jugs from here to yonder. It's not unusual to be trying to spot jugs that are a mile away. That's why I use 2-liter soda jugs. Self-flagging, of course. Jugging on the river is not a calm, laid-back way of fishing like on a lake or backwater. Not only are you watching for flagging jugs, but you're watching for jugs that have gotten hung up or gotten into an eddy and dropped behind the others. You pick these up, check the bait, and drop them off at the head of the jug pack. If you can keep your jugs from stretching out up and down the river for more than half a mile, you're doing a great job.
    I use 90#-100#(?) test line; #12 when I can find it, and up to #18 when that's all I can get; twisted nylon. Jugline: I put one hook 3' below the jug; another 3' below that hook; another 3' below that hook; and the bottom hook 3' below that one, which makes it 12' from the jug. Finally, 12" below the bottom hook, I tie on a 16p or 20p nail. That's enough weight for the Arkansas, a nail is cheap, it will rust away if lost, and it doesn't get hung up as much as a standard sinker due to its long skinny shape.
    One little advantage of foam noodles made me jealous. That is the ability to simply stick your hooks into them for storage. So, I came up with a solution. I cut slices off the end of a noodle, cut the hole a little larger, and glued the foam disk onto the cap of the soda jug. So long as you unwind the jugline with the cap off, it works great; with the cap on, it really slows things down. For those who do use soda jugs and haven't already discovered this for themselves, when you wind your jugline back onto the jug (around the neck), make sure that you wind clockwise as you look down on the jug from the top, or, in other words, the same way you would put the lid back on a jar of jam. Drop the nail down inside the jug, and when you screw on the cap, it will tighten the line; winding the opposite way will cause the wound-on line to loosen, making it impossible to have a nice, neat, tightly packed jugline for storage.
    Any questions I failed to answer, don't hesitate to ask.

9. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    When jugging in a heavy current or wind the Jugs will work your butt. They are fun to fish with but, you must keep an eye on them at all times or you can lose them.

10. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Jerry you forgot to say, That your jigs also work on the Tn river. LOL
    PEte

11. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Pete, my jugs work well on the Tennessee River below Pickwick. But, if I were jugging the 'Grand Canyon of the Tennessee' between Nickajack and Chattanooga, I'd have to lengthen my juglines by 40'-50' to really do any good. Been there, done that. I was disappointed that they shut the turbines off on the weekends; I wanted to get in another float with my jugs. Next time I come over, I'll definitely plan on getting there early enough in the week to get in some serious jugfishing, as well as some rod & reel fishing. Tennessee laws let me do that, because I only have to check my jugs once a day; Arkansas says I have to 'attend' my jugs at all times during daylight hours, and that generally keeps me too busy to fish with rod & reel.

Top, I put 3 or 4 ounces of gravel, small pieces of lead, etc. inside each of my jugs. First, that causes the jug to be a 'flagging' jug, which will stay in a tipped position after a bite; the gravel slides down into the neck and keeps the jug tipped. Sand will work ok till it gets wet; wet sand doesn't slide well. Second, the weight in the jug will keep the wind from blowing the jug around nearly so much as it will an unweighted jug.

12. Stainless

Stainless Member

State:
    Ft Smith, AR
    We jug fish a lot below Lock 13 and I've found that 10-12 ft with two hooks work pretty well for us. We always bring home around twelve to fourteen fish. The only place we usually run into problems is right below Ft. Chaffee's property. It gets pretty shallow past that rock/sand bar.

13. Wiscars

Wiscars New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Thanks for the info and attention to detail regarding the depth etc. for the arkansas. Jugs are work, but with two of us it works out pretty good. When it gets too much like work the rods come out and those jugs will set in the boat. Love the bent pole and tight line fight better anyhow! Getting ready to bait up and work them jugs. Fewer is sometimes better when jugging the river it sounds like. Thanks again for the good tip.:wink:

14. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Naw, part of the fun is being busier than a one-armed paperhanger, especially when you see 2 or 3 jugs with fish on at the same time.

15. Wiscars

Wiscars New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Well,when your blood is pumping and the jug dives under, with two others doing the dance just down river, man that is fishing! Jerry,your right. Busy is better than a "NO BITE NITE" anytime. When the weather heats up,there is plenty of time to set on the river and let her "roll on by".:smile2: