Jug and limb line fishing

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARKANSAS TALK' started by Galla Creek Arky, Mar 15, 2009.

1. Galla Creek Arky

Galla Creek Arky New Member

State:
    arkansas
    I am new to the board anyone close to Russellville jug or limb line fish?

2. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Larry welcome to the club, enjoy your stay here. I live in London Arkansas close to the Nuclear plant. I have some jugs but have not put them out yet. hope to put them out at the Degray Gathering. you are welcome to attend the gathering in May give me a call for more ingo for the gathering 1-479-293-0080 ask for Top

3. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Welcome to the BOC. You will find a lot of information and freinds on this site.

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Welcome to the BOC, Larry! (Confusing, 2 new Arkansas members named Larry :tounge_out:)
    I lived in Atkins from 1983 to 1990, and did a lot of jugfishing and trotlining; I did a little limblining, but there weren't many limbs where I ususally fished.As Top said, the nuclear plant is a good bet right now, and on up to when the water starts to get too warm there; probably around late May or early June. I used to fish that a lot. My wife's uncle always preferred the intake side, but I never had much luck there; the outlet cove is what worked for me. If you decide to get some shad below Dardanelle Dam over on the Dardanelle side, please post your results. I'd be interested to know how well they're running, and how big they are. If I can help you in any way, just let me know...areas on the river, jug setup, etc.

5. Rohaus

Rohaus Well-Known Member

State:
    Vilonia Ar
    I am also new to this site, but love tocatfish in any form. I do some jug fishing between Toad Suck and Murray dam and am always looking for ways to improve. So far this site has been the most informative that I have found. Thanks to everyone for all of the information.

6. Galla Creek Arky

Galla Creek Arky New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Thanks Guys for the warm welcome. I live at Pottsville.

Larry

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Welcome to the BOC, Steve! I think that the area down around Bigelow is the best I've found on the river. We've had a couple of gatherings at Toad Suck; maybe we can get another one up this summer.

8. Fetmo

Fetmo New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Welcome Larry,

I am new to the Forum as well and my name is Larry. ehheheh

Well my wify and I Love to Noodle (jug) fishing and limb lining. we usually goto Lake Ouchita or Degray once a year for but catfishin trip. this year we are goin to Bull Shoals in June. we usually bream fish all day to catch bait then set um out. we like using chicken hearts for bait too.

Welcome again

Fetmo:0a23:

[​IMG]
    Picture of Wee lil Bass and Toni Mae. we went to lake Barnett yesterday day caught 6 lil bass. in this pix she was explaining to me how i should catch bigger Bass;)

9. Rohaus

Rohaus Well-Known Member

State:
    Vilonia Ar
    Thanks Jerry, I hope we can get together at toad suck this year sometimes. I live in Viulonia but I usually put in at Palarm creek off of 365. We usually have pretty good luck in this area. What mkind of bait does everyone use jugging.

10. sheldonc

sheldonc New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Early in the year, Spring Rain run-offs. I use night crawlers and chicken liver. May thru Summer I use Primarily small bream, bass minnows, and
    Cherry coolaid/garlic/hot dogs.

I pretty much fish on Lake Ouachita.

11. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    IMO, generally speaking, anything other than fresh shad or skipjack is a desperation bait on the Arkansas River here in Arkansas. When I lived in Atkins, I used nothing but fresh shad I got below Dardanelle Dam; I did some experimenting with other baits to prove to myself that they didn't work as well. Trying to get skipjack at the nuclear plant was just too iffy and time consuming. When I moved to Little Rock, I found that getting shad or skipjack was really tough. When James Patterson told me that he made a trip over to Pickwick every year to get skipjack, I gave it a try, and got so many that I've tried to do it every year since. So, most of my catfishing is done with frozen skipjack.
    I haven't done any jugging much below Bigelow. What kind of luck have you had down toward Palarm? Did you know that there's a little park at Bigelow with a concrete launching ramp and parking area?

12. Rohaus

Rohaus Well-Known Member

State:
    Vilonia Ar
    I did not know about the boat ramp at Bigelow. I will have to try it out soon. We usually have fair luck around Palarm but nothing great.

13. vetrock

vetrock New Member

State:
    ar
    My father in law uses strictly live rice slicks to catch catfish. The smaller the better. They put in the AR river around Willow Park (can't think of the name). They catch a ton of nice blues and some channel.

14. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Rocky, is he jugging the big bay where Willow Point is located, or out in the main part of the river?

15. vetrock

vetrock New Member

State:
    ar
    He fishes above and below the dam in the main river. He does more trotlining than anything else.

I'd love to fish with a rod and reel there. They do their best in the heat of summer.

16. centexcop

centexcop New Member

State:
    Texas
    Welcome to the BOC... You'll enjoy your stay. Looking forward to reading your stories.