judging depth without a depth finder and boat...

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by rcbbracing, Nov 18, 2009.

1. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Okay i had this conversation with will (varmint sniper) last weekend when we were on the tusky. How does it work when casting a sinker to judge a depth. Is it you each second equals a foot of depth first off? We knew that much...but what i was always told was this was per ounce of lead...So if we casted a two ounce sinker into a hole and counted five second....does that mean the hole is five feet deep or does that mean it ten feet deep because it was two ounces of lead instead of one? Maybe i have this all wrong but am hoping someone can clear it up for us....thanks in advance guys i know someone will know for sure!

2. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    David,
    All that sounds very complicated.
    Why not just say that if if it takes a weight 5 seconds to reach the bottom, that water is 5 seconds deep. If it takes the same weight 10 seconds to reach the bottom in another spot, it's twice as deep?
    ...W

3. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Yeah i know BUT for the sake of knowing exactly how deep a hole is ide like to know...if no one knows the answer thats fine. But i was always told one foot per second per ounce...the equation isnt really all the difficult to remember and use....on the assumption i am remembering it correctly....

4. cheapNdisgusting

cheapNdisgusting Well-Known Member Supporting Member Supporting Member

State:
    Yonder in Mo.
    Name:
    Russ
    How fast a sinker sinks depends on what it is thrown into. Since you are from Ohio and may be attempting to fish in the cuyahoga river (caught on fire in 1969) it may not sink at all.

Seriously, a 1oz. sinker will sink faster on 8lb. line much faster than on 60lb. line. (less drag) and the bait will also create drag. Also, dropping a sinker straight down will cause it to sink faster than if you cast it out 100'.

5. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    So whoever told me this role of thumb was wrong? I realize other things effect this but thought there was a general rule of thumb on this...could be wrong...thanx for the input guys...guess it was kinda a dumb question...lol hey i tried though

6. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    a 5 lb weight and know distance like knots on a 1/4 rope. Or what I used known spred of my arms. A fast easy sounding rope is the white soft nylon 1/4 and just put a black mark every ft with a sharpie. It can give ya mean depth fast. Just count the black marks. Funny thing is depth dont always mean cats. Foune em in 1 ft of water to 50ft on the MO river.

7. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
  8. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Yeah i know...I caught my 40lb flat in 3 feet of water...i catch more cats shallow than i do deep but seems how its getting colder i wanted to try to center on deeper water more than i usually do...not that i wouldnt try for cats in shallow cold water...thanks for the info also...I guess no one else has heard of this...Maybe i mixed up something else with what i thought

9. SouthGADan

SouthGADan New Member

State:
    Lyons, GA
    We had a similar discussion over in this thread: http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126597

Don't think we ever came up with an answer; I forgot about it until now. :confused2:

I don't see how a 2 oz sinker would sink twice as fast as a 1 oz sinker; the difference should be minuscule, if any. Instead of hurtin' your brains and our brains tryin' to figure it out, just try both of them in the same hole. :wink:

10. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I find it hard to believe that 1 foot per second is even close. If anything, I would guess it to be closer to 1 yard per second. I know it doesn't take a 1 once sinker 5 seconds to reach the bottom in 5 feet of water, unrestricted.

11. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I know a 1/8 oz weighted grub will fall at a rate very close to 1 ft /second,But I gotta agree with Billie on a larger weight.

12. centexcop

centexcop Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    Get you a good Lake Map and It will show depths of the areas that you are fishing. Of course the bottom could have changed from a flood, but it will give you a good idea.

13. odtimr

odtimr New Member

State:
    nebraska
    You might want to try this: slip a sinker loose onto your line, maybe a bank sinker through the eye. Then attach a round bobber to the end of the line. Throw the rig just past the spot you are interested in, then pull back on the line until you feel the sinker dragging. The loose line should be then out. Then pull line out of the reel to the first eye on the rod. If this distance happens to be about 1 foot great, other wise takes a little bit more math. You watch the spot above the sinker, when the bobber appears on the top of the water the number of times you pulled the line out of the reel times the distance from the reel to the rod eye is the depth of the water. Hope this is somewhat clear and helps.
    Luck

14. fmb

fmb New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    no matter what you find out it's still a guess....

15. Pacman

Pacman New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Get someone with a boat to measure the depths for you and try it. The numbers you get will only be good for that weight line ,sinker weight and size bait. But why bother...If you have a boat and depth finder, you can drop the bait on the cat's head and still go home empty handed. Throw it out, open your Pepsi, and relax. You are working your brain way too hard!

16. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I find so many lake maps are way off!...i fished a place on salt for that odnr claims is less than five foot deep but it goes 13ft...there are a half a dozen places like that i know of...

17. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    You're way over thinking the thing. If you are fishing in current the sinker will not fall straight to the bottom, it will be affected by the wash of the current. As for the difference of the 1 or 2 oz sinker falling at different rates, think of it this way. The larger weight should fall slower because of resistance created by the water on the larger surface. Through the air they would fall at the same speed though, has more to do with gravity I think. Newtons law of relativity applies, If I remember my science class right from many years ago.

18. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    It goes back to the old question, "Which falls faster; a pound of lead or a pound of feathers?" Actually they both fall the same speed, but both are affected by "terminal velocity", which is determined by gravity and resistance.

19. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    It is called a rule of thumb, meaning not accurate to any ounce of certainty :wink:. I can tell you this. I have electronics on my boat and it is pretty accurate for me whether I am casting 3 oz. or 6 oz. No matter what the weight you have line drag, counting time error, etc... The accurate way to do it from shore is using a slip bobber. Tie a slip bobber knot, use a small bait type bobber and a 3 oz weight. Adjust it to what you think it is and toss it out there. If it pulls the bobber under it's deeper. Adjust until it stays afloat, guessing line bow and current angle and you are as close as it gets. Reel it in and measure the distance between the bobber knot and the sinker and you have your depth.

Hope this helps,

Shawn

20. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    Catfishing aint that complicated.
    While y’all do the rocket science. I’ll cast, open a beer and set the hook before y’all figure out how deep it is. LOL
    Just kidding.:big_smile:
    I make my best guess and go from there. My main thing is, bait up and get it in the water, then my chair and beer .
    Before I sold my boat, that depth/fish finder would drive me nuts. I had better luck not using it.