JT Meyers lock and dam fishing report

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by kaskas, Sep 25, 2008.

1. kaskas

kaskas New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Just got back yesterday afternoon from JT Meyers lock and dam and blue cat fishing is pretty slow. My cousin caught 2, One a channel and on a blue, each weighing in at 1-2lbs. Ohio was pretty slow and low with water coming from the gates nearest the wall. Gate 1 was being worked on and looks out of commission for a while. We threw alot of cut skippies at them which is really quite troubling. Usually ,from my experience anyhow, if you can find skipjack you can catch bluecats. We fished primarily behind the gates that had water flowing, and also down where the cumberland comes in at. I did see about 3 boys from Ky catching some nice strippers though behind the dam. Hey did anybody ever use a food saver to freeze fresh skipjack? To my wifes horror i did just that. Good luck everybody

2. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    My wife would KILL ME if i ever used her food saver to freeze my bait. however it does sound like a great idea. it would keep all the oils and everything on them and not allow the air to make them as mushy. hmm i might have to try that when shes not home. thanks a lot. and dont worry, the bluecat fishing has been sucking everywhere it seems like!

3. Frog Legs

Frog Legs New Member

State:
    Illinois
    How have you had the best luck fishing JT Meyers Dam? We have tried it a few times but would like some input from some guys with more experience. Thanks Frog Legs

4. kaskas

kaskas New Member

State:
    Illinois
    In my experience, everything has to do with which gates are open, water flow and availability of skipjack. We have had the best luck when 2-3 gates on the ky side are open. Its deeper on the Ky side. If we got the above conditions met we usually set up behind gate 1-2, anchor, and bump fish out the back of the boat. Of coarse you gotta have enough lead to get you on the bottom. Last week 3-4oz was plenty. Sometimes 8 won't get u there when you got good flow. Other times if we got enough people in the boat, we will drive up to the gate and the driver will idle in gear which will drastically slow your backward progress. Then usually 2 guys will put bait on the bottom and bump. When its good we put one after another blue in the boat. That being said I havent had all that much success last 2 times there. But thats fishing.

5. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I would say that fishing is like that at just about all of the dams right now. i know we havent had much flow from our gates up here by markland in quite a long time. one day about a month ago they teased us and cracked one gate ever so slightly. but thats been about it

6. Frog Legs

Frog Legs New Member

State:
    Illinois
    We haven't fished below the dam much but the last couple of times we did we were about 100 yds below the gates and stuff kept snagging on poles it always worked its way loose. So was it junk that was ground up going through the gates? Is this common? What can I do different? Frog Legs