Jordon lake info - Whats the best places for fishing?

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by 01 Mudslinger, Apr 11, 2006.

1. 01 Mudslinger

01 Mudslinger Member

State:
    Gretna, Va
    i was wondering about some good places to go fishin on jordon lake, ive only been up there about 4 times, so im learning my way around. this weekend im goin home to VA and bringin my boat back so ill have a boat to get out and fish also. where can i find website wise, info on the lake and fishing. and any information you guys have would be appreciated. thanks.

2. Dragger

Dragger New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Hunter N.C. Dept.of Recreation 919-733-4181........ Lake Jordan Park 919-362-0586..(bobbie)............Lake Jordan Dam ,Army Corp. of Eng. 919-542-1154.......hope this helps.............steve

3. greggofish

greggofish New Member

State:
    Holly Springs, NC
    This oughtta get ya started in the right direction

Places (all of these are best at night):

1. Put in at the Ebenezer boat ramp and as you enter the main lake look left. You will see an island (Johnson's Island). Fish all around that island. 2-7 feet deep at night and 7-15 feet during the day.

2. Right behind this island there is a small island. Fish that island the same way. Very snaggy around this one but excellent Channel spot. The boat ramp behind this island is the New Hope ramps. They close at dark.

3. Any main lake point around the 64 bridge and the bridge at Crosswinds Marina area. Fish 4-7 feet at all of these.

4. Poes Ridge ramp on the other side of the lake. Put in and go out until you are behind the dam. Go up the left side of the lake (Haw River side). There is an island on the left with a danger buoy on the tip of the point. Fish anywher that point comes up to 5-8 feet. Tons of catfish at that spot. Also Stripers this time of year.

Bait: Right now I would use cut shad. In the warmer months, cut shad and live Bream.

Species: regardless of what you may hear after this post, you will catch one of three types of catfish on Jordan. Some type of small yellowish bullhead (looks like a baby flathead), A catfish that we have yet to positively identify which sorta looks like a blue, channel cross with a big head and gets to around 7-8 pounds (the most common) and Channel Catfish which max out at around 12 pounds.

I have fished the lake since 1992 in just about every location and these are my experiences. Now, I fish for big cats but Jordan is a fun lake with a lot of decent Channel cats.

Good Luck.......

4. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    we have looked up that cat with a big head...we think it's a white cat...

And there are big fish in that lake i had one beak off 50lb. power pro this past weekend...

5. 01 Mudslinger

01 Mudslinger Member

State:
    Gretna, Va
    thanks alot guys, im gettin my boat down here this weekend, so next weekend if all goes well i will be up there fishing out on the water. probably put in at the ebenezer boat ramp or the dam. which one would be best. will be my first time out on this lake.

6. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I second Greggofish. He is on the money. I've fished all those spots over the years.

7. mack in n.c.

mack in n.c. Member

State:
    cary nc
    big blaze is on the money with them there cats being white cats.....haw above bynum and into alamance co is full of whites.....mack.....

8. 01 Mudslinger

01 Mudslinger Member

State:
    Gretna, Va
    ill be out on jordon lake tomorrow, doin a little bass fishing, i still gotta get some bigger rods for catfish. i got a blue and white boat, walk thru windshild, old boat, haha, but only gave 1,200 fer it. probably put in at ebenezer. got a 4x4 dodge dakota with 33's on it.

9. marineheel

marineheel New Member

State:
    Elon, NC
    Greggo, I'm gonna test your info this weekend.

Any decent areas for netting shad? I've had some luck with a few small ones just outside of Farrington.

Thanks for the info.

10. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    If the shad are there you can catch them below the dam..but get there early because you will want to throw on the corner of the fishing platform closest to to the dam..it's a deep hole but the fisherman are always elbow to elbow on the platform...

if that doesn't work go to just about any cove and you should be able to find the thread fin shad....

good luck..

11. 01 Mudslinger

01 Mudslinger Member

State:
    Gretna, Va
    yea, i didnt make it up there today, got up late and had some stuff to do so didnt work out, but Saturday i too will also be up there, gonna do a little fishing, largemouth probably, i got to get some bigger rods for catfish and stripers, but mostly just riding around getting to know the lake since it will be my first time out on the lake.

12. marineheel

marineheel New Member

State:
    Elon, NC
    Thanks for the info

13. marineheel

marineheel New Member

State:
    Elon, NC
    Thanks again for my 10th post

14. mack in n.c.

mack in n.c. Member

State:
    cary nc
    1 thing i forgot to mention about tsome of the catfishfish in jordan looking like blues or channels but having a bigger head mentioned earlier....like bigblze said these maybe white cats

but, the male channel cats does have a bigger head than the female......so some of the cats maybe male channel cats and also a male fish only gets about 1/2 the size of the females////.......just a thought.. also a whites tale is more similiar to a bullhead(not deeply forked) ........good fishing everyone...mack

15. Fishing Fred

Fishing Fred New Member

State:
    Lillington, N.C
    Mudslinger, You can log on to N.C. State Parks and find Jordans website. Not a lot of info on fishing but a lot of info on ramps, campgrounds, ect.

16. 01 Mudslinger

01 Mudslinger Member

State:
    Gretna, Va
    well i made it up there today, put in at overhills ramp, run around a little bit, are there any really shallow part i should be cautious of, lake looks really shallow in alot of parts. i havnt put the depth finder on there yet. i caught a couple descent bass and one small striper right across from the overhills ramp. im goin back sat. if the storms dont come and sunday too.