Jordan Lake

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by norton, Jun 21, 2007.

1. norton

norton New Member

State:
    NC
    i am new to this my family just got a new boat afew weeks a go. we love to catfish, is jordan lake a good lake to catfish we have went out about 4 or 5 times and only got a few around 1 to 1 1/2. 4or5 trips and only like 8 fish. so if any one can help me and my family out pleas let me know were to go and what to use.

2. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Jordan is a good place to catch catfish just not trophy catfish.
    If I want numbers I'll go to Jordan.
    We do catch nice channels up to the 10-12 pound range with cut shad.
    I would rather fish Kerr Lake or Lake Gaston compared to anything in the triangle. Other then that you'll find me on the Neuse river and the Cape Fear river going after the big ones.

The largest catfish I ever hung into was in Jordan however. I still have the hook that was literally twisted apart a 1/4" below the hook eye.
    I managed to get the fish to the surface for the circus rolls that freed him.
    That happened around the mid 90's.
    Some people will tell you there aren't any flatheads in Jordan.
    There is atleast one and he's big.:eek:oooh:

3. norton

norton New Member

State:
    NC
    thanks mark were would you suggest to fish the upper part of the lake or the lower by the dam.

4. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    There are members here that fish it often. I dont. I rarely fish for catfish in Jordan anymore but when I did I caught catfish anywhere I dropped a hook and bait.
    About 10 years ago I stood on the bank of the lake close to the washover ponds with an ultralite and crickets. I caught channels as fast as I could reel them in until I was sick of pulling them in. Just fiddlers. Out of all those fish I caught you would think I had something to talk about other then getting sick of it.

The morning I tied into that big one I was fishing down the lake around the little island. I filled up the livewell with decent eater channels by around 10AM.
    I moved almost directly to the west side of the lake from the island and started fishing the mouth of a cove with a live bluegill. Thats where I hung in the hoss.

Last year we went one night. Caught a bunch of dinks. Couldnt keep them off the hook. We had a minor boat malfunction and were drifting for about 20 minutes and some real nice size shad that were dead came floating by. I snagged a couple and cut them into chunks.
    We got onto some decent channels up to about 10 pounds. We were fishing north of the beach and south of the 64 bridge on the west side of the lake right by a boat ramp with fish structure bouys.
    We caught them in less then 5 feet of water.

The biggest mistake most people make night fishing is fishing too deep.
    Watch bankfishermen. They spend all their time trying to cast as far out into the lake as they can and wonder why the fish aint biting. They just threw way over the top of them for starters.
    I know. Its no fun to drop a line in the water at your feet. Not much of a fight and its a short fight but most of the time thats where they are.

We catch 30 and 40 pound flatheads in water so shallow in the river you hear him roll on the surface as soon as he hits the bait. Water anywhere from a foot to 2 foot deep. At night of course.

5. Ictalurus Punctatus

Ictalurus Punctatus New Member

State:
    Greensboro, NC
    Greggofish has given me the best advice about Jordan. When he speaks...Listen (like EF Hutton).

I usually launch from Robeson Creek and head north toward 64. It pretty shallow up there. Or if you go south toward the dam there are more than a few little coves on the east and west side that I've had success at. Like Mark said, don't fish deep. This year I've learned to use a casting net and have had alot of success with threadfin shad, but don't shun chicken liver and cut bluegill. Just my experience, for what it's worth.

Jon

6. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    just came back from Jordan..allot of whites no channels, blues or flatheads...

like mark and greg both have said jordan is good for numbers and a fun place to take the kids for some guaranteed fish...

i fish where the haw comes into jordan...there is an island...to the right there are several submerged road beds...and intersecting creek channels...those are cant miss spots....

i use cut vacume sealed shad....and drift the road beds and channel intersections...

today we were marking allot of suspended fish but they were not interested in my cut shad..it's a good possibility those were stripers....marked allot of good schools of bait fish with other fish within the schools...but they were not interested in cut shad...those were probably white perch and bass...

we didn't have the cast net or the bait tank....

7. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC

They just had to go and put a ramp on the best darn creek to fish in the whole lake. I about cried when I saw them clearing the land. I knew what was coming.
    Used to catch alot of hawg bass up in there.

That one island down close to the dam coming from the main lake where it was real shallow on the left side and the channel ran around the right side I had a unique experience one time on the bass boat running the trolling motor.
    It was there or somewhere real close by, its been years ago.

I felt a bump on the hull and the hull sliding up onto something. I looked at the depth finder and it was reading 20 feet or so of water.
    I was stuck. Cranked the outboard and still remained stuck.
    I couldnt move an inch.

Finally I went overboard and swam under the boat. I had lodged my boat in the top of a tree:big_smile:
    Once I figured out how I was lodged I climbed back in the boat and with some creative maneuvering I was able to climb down out of that tree.

8. Ictalurus Punctatus

Ictalurus Punctatus New Member

State:
    Greensboro, NC
    I was down there about three weeks ago with my uncle, and we got hung up on a tree about 3" below the water. Kind of a wierd feeling. Fortunately, my boat is so small that we were able to simply rock it back and forth a couple of times and it slid right off. And I've always been told not to rock the boat.

Jon

9. norton

norton New Member

State:
    NC
    i just got back from the lake. i started fishing around 7pm friday night until 7am satday. i was fishing deep didn't get a thing moved into about 10 foot of water and got a few the one about 5 pounds and 2 about 3, got around 9 fish the hole weekend fishing with with bait fish and shrimp. thanks for the new advice.

10. wake4est

wake4est New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Yeah Jordan is a weird forest of trees under the water line.

11. mack in n.c.

mack in n.c. Member

State:
    cary nc
    yeah mark is right ...robeson ramp ruined that part.....i lease 300 acres thats up against vista pt...........i used to drive down the rd (seaforth) to where it dead ends......put 1 of my canoes in and slay em.....now everyone is up there...........only fish it in the spring now and paddle it sometimes to ck on the cypressess i planted....mack