Jordan Lake report 28 and 29 april

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by crusinman2002, Apr 30, 2007.

1. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    got up to jordan lake yesterday as the sun was going down, and headed up to bells church. water temp in that area was from 70 to 72 from the deeper parts to the shallows. i set a 50 hook trotline in bout 9 foot of water with cut shad on all the hooks and the hooks at about 6 foot deep, and then went to crappie fish in my favorite cove right around the corner. we ended up with 1 small crappie, but we were nailing small white cats on minnows, all were right around 1/2 to 3/4 of a pound. went and ran the trotline at the 2 hour mark to find nothing but small cats round 1/2 to 3/4 pound, a few were channels, most were whites, but i did have a couple of small flatheads on there, i went to grab the camera to prove it, but i had forgotten to put it in the boat, i didn't want to bring the flatheads home just to take the pictures of them, but i swear they were flatheads. i know most everyone will say that there aren't flatheads in jordan, but i swear to you that i caught some small ones. i had set the line over a bunch of structure tryin to get some eatin sized ones out of there and i had the hooks dangling right in it, even had a couple hooks straighten out un-snagging them. after that set the trotline back up in bout 18 foot of water with the hooks at about 6 foot again, and ended up with all small ones again.

as for today, went out at sundown again, i would like to try to get there earlier, but after getting home at 5 in the morning, showering and getting to bed, i didn't wake up till late... lol... but anyways, went back up to bells chuch and the water temp ranged from 67 to 69 (a bit of a cool off since yesterday), set a 25 hook trotline (my 50 hook one needs some repairs) in bout 16 foot of water with the hooks bout 4 foot deep, using yesterdays minnows and shad that had died as bait, and went back into the cove tryin for some more of them smaller cats on the ultra-light like last night (boy that was fun catchin cats on the ultra-light) and ended up only getting a bass (stripped or hybrid stripped, couldn't really tell, it was too small), caught him on a dead minnow... ran the trotline at the 2 hour mark and had mostly empty hooks (the minnows and shad were really soft), had a couple small cats that must have just been holding onto the hook cause they fled the scene as soon as i got them to the surface, had 1 good eatin sized one that did the same, and pulled in a legal sized crappie that i threw back.

2 nights on the lake, came home with no fish to eat, i could have filleted up some of them small ones, but they were a bit to small for the effort would have only gotten 4 to 6 inch long fillets... i observed alot of fish hitting the surface, prolly catchin bugs or something, couldn't ever see what they were though... seen alot of shad schooled up, and as i was coming out from under the 64 bridge the shad were stirrin up the water pretty good right at the bow of the boat and were jumpin everywhere... nearly got a couple to jump into the boat just by drivin by... lol... the rock wall at the marina between the docks and the ramps was loaded with shad, only took 1 throw to get enough shad for the night last night, and even had leftovers... lol

i know alot of you don't like trotliners, but i do it for fun, and yall ain't gonna stop me, i'm not one of those that keep everything i pull off of the line, i threw everything back yesterday and today, but the 1 keeper that got away, i would have kept him and ate him for supper, but he got away. i never keep what i'm not going to eat. but anyways, please don't rag on me for being a trotliner, just included it with the report cause it produced fish and held depth info.

2. greggofish

greggofish New Member

State:
    Holly Springs, NC
    head to Robeson Creek landing. Go out of the creek and make a left. Head up to where the three arms of the Haw empty into the lake. There is a rock on the right side out of the water. Set up to the left of and a little downstream (20 feet). You should be 6-8 feet of water. If you fish there at night...I guarantee you will get a bite on every single piece of shad (or probably other baits) you put out. Mostly big Whites but plenty of nice Channels and even a few 10-12 pound Channels. There are massive amounts of spawning Gizzard shad in that area and the cats are amongst them. If you don't catch a hundred fish, I would be surprised.

Run your trot line near the bank anywhere in there and it will be loaded up as well.

Other parts of the lake, the catfish are harder to find right now.

here is an old picture of that area, we fished for about an hour and a half that night.

Attached Files:

3. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    hey greg, thanks for the info... if i get up there next weekend i'll go try that area

4. Ictalurus Punctatus

Ictalurus Punctatus New Member

State:
    Greensboro, NC
    Great info Greg, Thanks. I usually go from Robeson Creek anyway, but usually head south out of the creek.

I did fairly well about a mile north of the dam Sat night. Then again on the way back to the ramp. I instituted the "30 min. no bite, I'm going home" rule and ended up leaving at 4:30 Sunday morning :wink: (good problem to have).

Jon