Jordan Lake 6apr07

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by crusinman2002, Apr 7, 2007.

1. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    well... i got off work had the boat ready to go, one of my friends met me at work... left as soon as i got off to make it on the water... it was an hour drive up to jordan from base. got there, got the boat in the water, got up to my spot which is about a 15 min. ride running wide open with having to slow down for the bridges, the water was glassed over and i was takin it slow cause the clouds were out and couldn't see much... so it ended up takin a bit longer to get there... got to fishing in my spot, and not even a bite... noticed the breeze kick up a bit, and felt a couple of rain drops, and then it was calm again... some people were out in a canoe, seen them catch a crappie and throw it back, must have been too small... my friend and i decide we were goin to change spots, we'd been there an hour and nothing... so we pack up and start heading out of the spot and we were headed to the mouth of the haw river, its a bit of a cruise from my spot up by bells church... so we are underway, get to the farrington road bridge and the wind starts to pick up, get past the bridge and speed up a bit and then the wind just out of nowhere is blowing real hard and there are 2 to 3 foot swells, not a problem, headed right into the wind, getting some spray, and it was a bit of a rough ride, come up to the 64 bridge, and the boat is going everywhere, now we are in 4 to 5 foot swells... get past the 64 bridge and the wind is from my side, so i travel with the wind for a bit and then cut into the wind and had to zig zag back to the boat ramp goin through the main water... once we finally got headed straight towards the boat ramp its still just wind... we were crusin at about 20 mph with the wind at our backs, and it was rough, water was sprayin everywhere and it was a rough ride... had the motor trimmed all the way down pullin the boat into the water and enough throttle to get the bow up a bit to reduce the spray.... well... get up to the ramp and just bout everyone there is loading up and gettin off the water, and i followed suit... the lake was getting too rough for me to stay out, didn't want to chance it at all... so i finally get the boat on the trailer and wouldn't u know it, the motor won't trim up... well... i wasn't bout to stand in the water tyin up the ramp just to try to get the motor up, so i pulled out and got into the parking area where i could figure it out... well... it took a whole crowd of us and half an hour to figure out that muscle wasn't going to fix this... so i got to looking at the hydraulic lines and figured maybe i could disconnect the lines to get pressure off of the trim motors and then the muscle would work lifting the motor up and getting the transom saver in... that was a no go... couldn't get to the lines... i had already checked the fuses, and jingled the wires around and everything was good... so i started diggin deeper... and wouldn't u know it, it was a bad connection on the relay which i had jingled around before that... so... got the relay connection fixed, and the motor came right up... so far this is 2 problems, and i'm thinking where is the third, so i look at all the tires, they are good, all the lights are good, so i pack up the boat and tie it down, and its all good... well... i'm going down the road, and my phone was dying, so i go to plug it in, and the accessory plug in is gone... it came out on my friend's phone charger, so i had to fix that quick cause the cig lighter isn't working... i'm tellin ya... it was quite a night... but, i figured i would share these events, and i'm looking back on it, and all i can do is laugh... lol

2. Ictalurus Punctatus

Ictalurus Punctatus New Member

State:
    Greensboro, NC
    It *was* rough wasn't it? I was over toward New Hope when it started to get windy and had to get to Robeson Creek, where my truck was. The mile and a half down to the dam wasn't that bad. The wind was pretty much on the stern. When I turned north at the dam I was headed straight into it things started to get hairy. Winds were about 20-25 gusting over 30, and like you said swells were getting pretty big, white caps and all. I'm new to boating, so I don't have alot of skill or experience yet, last night was pretty intimidating for me. Not being able to see what's coming messed with me a bit. I'd be going along them a gust would hit the bow and push hard to the left or right in a heartbeat, or getting a glimpse of a red and green "white cap" right before it jars your teeth. I felt like I was constantly reacting to what the boat was doing instead of driving it. I supppose it was a test of sorts, I didn't sink the boat, and managed to stay in it. I guess I passed. I'm glad I didn't have one of my kids with me.

As far as the fishing goes; I managed to net some bait, and caught a couple of channels that I have to go clean in a minute. I also need to access any damage to the boat from the beating it took last night. I know that a couple of bolts broke on my seat, and that three of the rod holders rattled loose (I kept waiting for them to fall off last night).

Jon

3. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Crusinman 2002 and Ictalurus Punctatus, I hope both of you had your life jackets on while you faced those winds and waves during the night trip back to the landing. Neither one of you mentioned them in your post. Take it from an old salt, it is better to be safe than sorry. Mac

4. Ictalurus Punctatus

State:
    Greensboro, NC
    Yes sir! PFD, rain gear, and lanyard to kill the motor if I went in the drink. Safety equipment is one of those things that I take very seriously (hard hat has saved me from more than one concusion). It could very well save your life. Be ready and you won't have to get ready.

The rain gear is probably what saved me last night. I wet and in the wind and falling air temps for close to 50 minutes. With the rain gear, my teeth were chattering by the time I got to the ramp. Without it I'm fairly certain hypothermia would've caused me come much more trouble than I had on my hands already.

Jon

5. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    once i got into the smaller swells i stopped the boat and my friend and i got our pfds on... normally i don't wear it, but once the water gets a bit rough it goes right on... hooked the kill switch laynard, and i was wishing i had a seat belt... lol... i've got a 17 foot fish and ski, and it rides pretty low in the water, so 2 foot swells and i've got water spray over the bow... had the gortex jacket on, but everything else was pretty wet on me, but with keeping my core dry and warm kept me going.

6. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Thats one thing bad about lakes is the type of rough they get.
    The waves are different then those in the ocean at most times.
    On a lake they are close together and quick. More of a rough chop then anything.
    I've been on Jordan when everything but the big cruisers just beached their boats and waited it out. What yall experienced is no fun especially in the dark.

7. greggofish

greggofish New Member

State:
    Holly Springs, NC
    is that section from 64 bridge to the beginning of the S turns.

Get's very bad very quick often in that area. I saw it at it's worst last April. A squall came up that had the biggest boats on the lake crashing into each other and the docks at Ebenezer. We waited it out and then went back out into Beaver for a bit but when we came back out at 11:00 PM it was still wicked near the bridge and we just about sunk the boat trying to get out.

8. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    i don't know what part is the roughest, but it was all rough last night... everyone was getting out of the water, and quick... i was bout to just start looking for some shorline that i could come up on if it had gotten any worse

9. Ictalurus Punctatus

State:
    Greensboro, NC
    You get no argument from me:tounge_out: .

Jon

10. Ictalurus Punctatus

State:
    Greensboro, NC

I believe that was where Kennith was at. I was in the s's about 2mi n of the dam. Didn't get bad until I turned N at the dam heading up toward Haw River.

Jon

11. Ictalurus Punctatus

State:
    Greensboro, NC

Amen. I was weighing that option too. I know it may sound weird, but I'm glad other folks were having trouble with it too. I was thinkin gmaybe I was just a wuss, but I was a wuss that was getting off of the water:tounge_out: .

Jon

12. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    well... we all seemed like wusses that night... lol... but yeah... i was up at bells church just past the marina... and it was rough when i was goin from the marina to ebenizer