Jonboats

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by pendog66, Feb 1, 2006.

1. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    Hey guys my dad and i are looking for a jonboat to buy, just something we can throw in the back of the truck or haul to the river.

2. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    also depending on condition my dad and i wouldnt mind getting a fisher upper. We love having little projects to build or fix up

3. Pogo

Pogo New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I just started considering selling my 12 ft Alumacraft rig for about $900 without a trolling motor or trailer.

The hull is a 1983 E-model (Semi-V, not a flat jon), but is water tight and has no damage beyond a few paint scrapes. It's registered as a "home made" since, at the time I bought it, we didn't know what brand it was (see the Alumacraft posts where I sought ID help). Here in NC, that's very common procedure.

You can see this on the "show your rig" thread as I posted 3 pictures there recently.

The engine is a 1987 Suzuki DT-6 that runs excellently. I've kept up the maintainance and it starts second pull cold and first pull warm - every time.

Last summer I replaced the prop, spark plugs and the throttle cables. The water impellor has been been serviced or replaced yearly and the lower lube gets replaced every six months.

Fully loaded (two guys, battery, 6 gal tank, tackle, anchor, etc) it pushes this boat at 17 knots in a light sea on the GPS.

From the head down, the DT-6 is identical to the DT-8. The only difference is the carb throat diameter (24mm vice 18 mm). I've run these engines with both the DT-8 head and carb installed or just the carb and having fluted the head into a "velocity stack" throat curve with no problems. Being where you are, those parts are a cheap way to get a couple more horses (and about 3 to 4 knots) and the same Mikuni carb is on EZ-Go golf carts and Kawasaki Mule 5xx 4 wheelers.

I didn't mod this one because I didn't need it. Where I fish, 16 to 17 knots is plenty

I haven't really decided on selling this yet even though I'm about done rejuvenating a 14 footer. The little rig gets me up into the shallows for Flounder, handles moderate big water well and handles really easily. Since I generally fish alone on the New River, ICW and up to a mile off shore, this is important ... in short .. it's a sweet little rig for what I do.

But ... I'm originally from Ohio (just until I was old enough to know better :)) and am considering visiting my parents in March. I could trailer it close to you if we decide this is a "win-win" for both of us.

I'm on the Atlantic in NC, so it's about 14 to 16 hours to central Ohio from here, but the boat (12' 4" LOA, 48" Beam) will fit into a standard pickup bed - unfortunately, not into my Ranger 4X.

If you want just the boat (sans motor, tank, hose & transom bracket), we can also talk about that, but if you're interested, lets both think about this a bit ...

4. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    too bad we aren't closer together. I've got a little g3 1442 for sale. It's just sitting on the ground at my barn.:sad:

5. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Nate, my father has a Lowes 1242 on the trailer he is trying to sell. It is a 2002, I think. the trailer is older. He is asking $700 for it. Vern

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Pendog, jonboat prices may be different in your area, but here in Arkansas, if I'm not in a hurry, and really beat the bushes, I can find a 14' riveted aluminum jonboat needing a little TLC for $100. I bought one in decent shape for that price, except that the wooden part on the transom was rotted. A couple of hours and a scrap piece of plywood fixed that problem. I've got another one that's quite a bit rougher that I was selling for $100, but I think I'm going to keep it. My youngest daughter, husband, and his 3 kids have rented a place about 40 miles north of where I live. From what I've been told, it's close to a creek large enough to use a boat like that. He and his boys can get more use out of it than I'd get out of selling it.

7. 1stpalindrone

1stpalindrone New Member

State:
    Denton, Texas
    Hey pendog-
    I don't have what your looking for unfortunatley. Im looking for the same thing, the smallest, riveted boat I can shove in the back of the truck too. Let me know what you find, and any help from the rest of the BOC would be greatly appreciated. Good Luck!!

Lucas