Jonboat With Jetski Motor?

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by Fishing Fred, Apr 25, 2006.

1. Fishing Fred

Fishing Fred New Member

State:
    Lillington, N.C
    I don't kknow if this is the proper place to start this but here goes. I have been thinking about putting a jet ski engine in a flat bottom jonboat for use in a shallow rocky river. Speed not inportant. I have found a 2 cylinder yamaha wave runner cheap. Don't know the horse power but it was for two riders. The only thing I know about jet skis is I don't like them buzzing me when I'm fishing !!!!!!! Has anyone ever hear of anyone doing this. I have a fully equipted shop and can tig and all that. I would like to know if anyone has tried this that can maybe give me some insight into what I'm getting into.

2. OBXterraSC

OBXterraSC New Member

State:
    NC (Fort Sill, OK right now)
    You would probably have to extend the inlet port all the way to the front of the boat and rig up some sort of lever for the steering of the outlet port that also accomodates a locking throttle control. (unless you want to have to use both hands all the time.) Relocation of the fuel tank and extension of the fuel lines would also be neccessary I believe. Taking off the auto-shut-off mechanism would probably also be a good idea. All in all I don't think it would really be that hard. A bit pricier than oars though.

3. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I read a recent article in a boating mag about rigging out jet skis themselves as fishing platforms for just that reason ie shallow rocky rivers and streams.It might be easier to go this way.:)

4. OBXterraSC

OBXterraSC New Member

State:
    NC (Fort Sill, OK right now)
    That's a good point. You could just attach a platform around the PWC. Maybe use one side for your fishing platform with rod holders, and the other side for storage, etc. It might be a pain to put on a trailer though!

5. dademoss

dademoss Member

State:
    Ohio
    Check your boating laws before going with a PWC. Here in ohio they are prohibited from operation from sundown to sunrise, makes it rough to use one for night fishing

6. caatstalker

caatstalker New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    i think its a great idea. have thought about it offfan on for a few years . it will work im sure of it . will be great going through riffiles an such . work it out keep us posted u could start a fad. oh yrah installed in a jon is no longer a pwc its a jet boat law does not apply.

7. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    DD, they are not actually banned at night in Ohio, The reason you can't use them after dark is because OHIO has that most famous of all nightime navigation hazards: H2O MELLON and his ZENON FLASHLIGHT sweeping the waterways at the slightest suspicious sound.After having many jet skiers get blinded and run aground the powers that be just decided as long as MELLON insists on fishing after dark it would be safer to keep them off the water.;) :p We also shouldn't forget the arsenal he carries in case any of the strange noises does attack him so its better this way than having some jet skier come under continous suppresive fire or be blinded.Thats the price you pay for having a celebrity fisherman in your state.;) :rolleyes: :) :cool:

8. Creek6

Creek6 New Member

State:
    OK
    I saw some detailed instructions on an internet sight for doing the conversion. If I can find it I'll post the link but you might try searching.

9. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I almost did that in 1989, WE had a Yamaha Wave Runner III That got totaled at a place I was working. A log truck ran off the road and lets say it was a wreck. LOL
    But never did get it started.
    Wish I had went ahead and worked on it. One of these news 150 Hp wave runners would make a nice one.
    Pete

10. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    dunno much about it, but a friend of mine used to convert his outboard motors to jet for when we went fishin down the rio grande. I think its just a lower end conversion.

11. Brushy Bill Roberts

Brushy Bill Roberts New Member

State:
    Spencer Indiana
    Someone mentioned that you would move the water intake to the front of the boat. I have seen boats with jet motors. as someone said, a lower end conversion. on these boats, there was a "tunnel" ahead of the lower unit that allowed water to get above the level of the botom of the boat.
    From the pictures I saw, the tunnel did not extend more than 18 - 20 inches from the rear of the boat. I will look for the site I saw this stuff on and try to send you a link.

12. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Unless there are people in the front of my boat holding it down, the front of my boat is out of the water at high speed. Seems like that would make it pretty hard to pick up water. A little scoop attached to the bottom of the transom would work great for picking up water, but would probably be prone to getting smashed by rocks, assuming that you want a jet drive because you're running in real shallow water.

13. Brushy Bill Roberts

Brushy Bill Roberts New Member

State:
    Spencer Indiana
    The tunnel I mentioned is fabricated by cutting a long rectangular section from the rear center of the bottom of the boat. aluminum sheet is used to weld up the raised section of the tunnel. this doen not entend below the bottom of the boat, but alows water to get up into the "tunnel"
    I personally would trade that jet ski in on a outboard jet drive.
    You may need to use an extension to move the drive away from the rear of the boat to prevent cavatation.

14. dademoss

dademoss Member

State:
    Ohio
    Jim,

I knew there was an explaination, but how in the world did you get access to the sealed and archived records!

The Truth is out there:dribble:

15. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    You can find military jet drive out boards for sale a lot of the time and I'll see if I can come up with a link for some.

I am like you though I love fabricating stuff and that would be interesting.

16. Catter

Catter New Member

State:
    Osceola, Arkansas
    Have a look on ebay, there was something similar to this on there. A guy had a jon rigged so he could just pull his ski into it and lock it down. Then he just drives to his favorite hole with the kids and he fishes and they play on the ski.

Joe

17. Catter

Catter New Member

State:
    Osceola, Arkansas
    My edit time limit expired so here's a link ya might get some ides from. It's not the same as I was talkin about earlier but i think it may be what you are talking about.

jetjon

Joe

18. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    It's been done by some guys near Bristol Tn, and it worked great for the shallow rivers there.

Look up the number of the Green Springs Sports Center in Bluff City Tn and ask for Mike Gardner. Explain it to him and he might be able to put you in touch with the guys who built it.

19. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    wow, that alumajet was quite the project!