jon redmond lake

Discussion in 'KANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by DAREWOOD11, Feb 12, 2008.

1. DAREWOOD11

DAREWOOD11 Member

State:
    IOWA
    im thinkin about comin down to fish the lake and i was wonderin wat the fishings like down there for channels and flatheads and blues...in the river i heard theres a big logjam and i was wonderin about that...thanks in advance for any info

2. mandingo

mandingo Member

State:
    kansas
    i have never fished the lake myself,but i know lots that do and there is some nice channel and some big flathead.and i guess the logjam is huge.only downside to the lake is at its deepest point,12 feet deep at best.

3. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    The logjam is HUGE!! I think its over two miles long now. If you google it you can find pictures and if you map it you can even see it from space.Very polluted with all of the stuff stuck in the jam. Stuff like animal carcauses,55 gallon drums, you name it.I have never fished there but the Neosho further south is excellent for flatheads.The log jam is CRAZY though!

4. koakley1

koakley1 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    The lake is totaly iced over right now but the river side is producing a few good fish. I have not found the 12' depth yet, only 6' to 8' at best. The river side of the dam is great for flathead. The main lake is best for channelcat if you drift fish, bring a good push pole theres a few shallow mud flats you cant see untill its to late. I have not fished the log jam but I have seen it, it is wicked! If you use the boat ramp dont back down it to far, there is a nasty drop off that will swallow your trailer. If you need some more help just hollar and I'll try to help.

5. DAREWOOD11

DAREWOOD11 Member

State:
    IOWA
    IS THE LOGJAM PRETTY GOOD FISHING??? I HEARD LOTS OF BIG FLATHEADS LIVE IN THAT PORTION OF THE RIVER...thanks to all for your info

6. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    is that logjam y'all talkin about on john redmond or by the bridge over wolf creek ??

7. koakley1

koakley1 New Member

State:
    Kansas

There are some guys who pull some pretty big flats out of the log jam on a regular basis but I have never fished it. It is pretty nasty and dangerous. Tons of dead cows and refridgerators, barrels, trash and lumber with nails. To much crap to deal with for my little boat. If you go, good luck

8. koakley1

koakley1 New Member

State:
    Kansas

north of John Redman

9. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    ive got a map up and lookin for it. its along the creek/river that feeds into it ?? looks to me by the map pics that somethin's there cuz i cant see the water in most parts

10. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    hey katatonik, ive got a farm pond thats full of perch & bluegill the guy wants out of there. i should have the bait covered for when i get out yer way

11. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    The log jam has been described great. There is not telling what you will find in it. On a good day you might only have a couple of dead animals, but it seems like it is always full of snakes. Not a great place to be at night. I think that 12 foot was 20 years ago. For the most part I have only seen 6" one time 8 but i think that Finder was messing up :smile2:. A lot of nice Channels. Flats are plenty, huge ones are in there but you better have some heavy gear to turn there heads or you are getting tangled up.

12. DAREWOOD11

DAREWOOD11 Member

State:
    IOWA
    THERES SOME PRETTY BIG FLATHEADS IN THE LAKE TOO???

13. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    In the upper arm of the lake, is that area I have seen and heard the most of them being pulled from along with the river side of the dam. I dont see why the would not go out to the main lake. I have only fished it a few times my brother gets out on it more than I do.

14. duckgetr

duckgetr New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I fish the remond a lot. the log jam is about a half mile from the mouth of the neosho river that feed the redmond. it runs up stream to the jacobs creek landing boat ramp. from jacobs creek to the mouth it is jammed packed with everything you can imagine and there is absolutley no way to navigate through the jam without using dynamite and chain saws. last year in fisherman catfish guide had an article about a guy who said he navigated his boat up through the jam and rod fished little pockets. that is BS!! the most important thing you should know abouit the redmond is the waves from the wind. don't try to go to the log jam if the wind is much over 15mph from the lake side if the wind is out of the south south east. That lake is over 5 miles across and time the wind gets the waves going across there, you got some serious rollers coming through back there. Trust me I duck hunt that end of the lake religiously and it is viscious!! the most inconvienant thing about it though is there is no boat ramps close to it when the water level gets very high in the lake. you either have to make your own ramp or go across the lake from the damm side. Which last year even that ramp was out of commission. if you really like rod fishin for flatheads go to the outlet at night when they are releasing water and fish with fresh live shad. we caught two 20# flats and a 35# flat back there last year at night. good luck!!

15. DAREWOOD11

DAREWOOD11 Member

State:
    IOWA
    THANKS FOR THE INFO DUCKGETR!!!

16. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    Y'all commin from iowa just to fish john redmond ??

17. DAREWOOD11

DAREWOOD11 Member

State:
    IOWA
    WELL I WANA FISH SOMEWHERE NEW WHERE I HAVE A PRETTY GOOD SHOT TO CATCH SOME BIG FLATHEADS...

18. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    guess yer kinda like me then. i drove from Topeka to Witchita to fish a pond. I didnt do well but my brother did.

19. DAREWOOD11

DAREWOOD11 Member

State:
    IOWA
    well i just dont have the trophy fishing waters near where i live and i love fishing for monster flatheads and i would like to catch some more big blues and i love catfishing period!! im lookin for somewhere in the midwest to fish

20. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    well, if you pass through Topeka on yer way look me up. Heck, i may just hook up the boat & me and my brother may tag along. 785-215-3001