Jon boats- Is it a good boat platform?

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by slowjamcdub, Oct 29, 2008.

1. slowjamcdub

slowjamcdub New Member

State:
    kentucky
    are jon boats good to use and if so flat bed or stight wing??:tounge_out:

2. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Would totally depend on the waters you fish most.
    BB in SC

3. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    if you hittin small ponds and such one of them 2 man plastic boats will work it is more stable than a jon :cool2:

4. catfishcraz

catfishcraz New Member

State:
    arkansas
    I AGREE. IT DEPENDS WHERE YOU ARE FISHING AND WHAT TYPE OF WATER( LAKE, POND, RIVER). I HAVE A JONBOAT NOW AND MY WIFE FEELS MORE COMFORTABLE IN IT COMPARED TO THE V-HULL I USED TO HAVE. I NOTICED MORE DRAG IN A RIVER WHEN ANCHORED BUT FARELY STABLE, WITH A V-HULL IT WOULD CUT THROUGH MOVING WATER AND THAT MEANS WOULD NOT DRIFT SIDE TO SIDE AS MUCH AS YOU WOULD IN A JONBOAT. I DO MORE LAKE FISHING SO I AM MORE SATISFIED WITHA JONBOAT. CATFISHCRAZ!

5. catfishcraz

catfishcraz New Member

State:
    arkansas
    SORRY, DIDN'T REALIZE YOU ALSO ASKING ABOUT STIGHTWING. NOT FAMILIAR WITH THAT:embarassed:. I CAN ONLY GIVE MY OPINION UPON MY EXPERIENCE. GOOD LUCK.:0a22:

6. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    <SORRY, DIDN'T REALIZE YOU ALSO ASKING ABOUT STIGHTWING. NOT FAMILIAR WITH THAT:embarassed:.>

Never heard that term myself. I assume he was talking flat bottom vs. semi V.
    Bill in SC

7. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i had a 14 ft alum. pro-jon which was semi v and it was great for skinny water like the small river near me, as far as bigger lakes it would get a little choppy

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Jonboats are a great fishing platform because they're not as 'tippy' as a V-hull. On the other hand, a jonboat will jar the fillings out of your teeth when you're running through rough water. Everything's a tradeoff.