Jon boats and trolling motors

Discussion in 'Boating' started by beakus, Mar 7, 2007.

1. beakus

beakus New Member

State:
    derby kansas
    i have put on and taken off a bow mount trolling motor on the front of my 16 ft jon and i cant decide if it belongs on there or not.it's like its nice to have when you need it but the rest of the time its a pain in the arse.i think i would almost like to put a transome mount troll instead,any ideas?

2. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Depends on how you use it. Mine is sure handy for catching bait, throwing the net from the front deck.

3. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    I under stand the frustration..... on my little 12 semi vee, I have two trolling motors.....one at the back cant make it go right when in the wind.... Up on the front, where I am if I'm throwing for bass etc. it is real nice.... And at times, when I am in a river drifting and get hung up, it is a pain to go to the back of the boat to fire up the 15hp to go back to retrieve the lure...... I made up a switch, and I have two trolling motors which is real nice for creeping around etc. but with the switch, near the front, I can flip in on, and the back trolling motor comes on full speed for additional thrust when needed and I dont have to climb over stuff to get to the 2 stroke motor.... Oh, I have a transon mount at each end... had to make a bracket for the one at front.... First one was a special chunk of hardwood that I put together...., and now I cut the vee bracket casting at the front, and made a metal contraption that hold the transom bracket on real nice....

good luck... bayrunner ray

4. BILLYP

BILLYP New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, North Carol
    I usually keep mine on the back of the boat. It keeps it out of my way, but the only thing is going from the front to the back to use it.

5. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    All that really matters is which works best for the way you fish most of the time. I have a bow mount with foot pedal after over 20 yrs. of having a transom mount on a smaller boat and to be honest, so far I don't like it. It is constantly getting in the way when I'm trying to work my way into structure or up to bank and of course I have to move to the front of the boat up on the deck to use it. I hope that eventually I will get used to it as there is no way to put a transom mount on my current boat.

6. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I have used a trolling motor mounted on the stern of my aluminum boats for years. It is a royal pain to try and make the boat go in the direction you want and to stay on course. I finally just gave up and where ever I go, I back up. The trolling motor pulls the boat through the water a whole lot better than it pushes. Done it for years bass fishing, crappie fishing and running trot lines.

7. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    My brother has always had that problem so he mounted the motor on the shaft backwards. For some reason that 1448 with a flat bottom and v front I had didn't have that probem, it was real skinny up front then widdened a bit but curved back in at the stern and had a real shallow draft. Made for swamps.

8. crome

crome New Member

State:
    ilm,nc
    same here,i would be lost with out it.

9. Ictalurus Punctatus

Ictalurus Punctatus New Member

State:
    Greensboro, NC
    Been playing around with the idea of getting a transom mount motor for my 16' jon boat. So this thread is of interest to me. I do have one question regarding something that I saw on Ebay. This particular boat that I was looking at had a transom mount motor mounted on the side of the boat. It was situated beside the forward of the two seats on the boat. I like the idea of moving some of that weight to the front of the boat (batteries & trolling motor), but do you think that it'd move the boat through the water ok?

Jon

10. txthumper1691

txthumper1691 New Member

State:
    Temple, Tx.
    I have one for th front, but w/th way my motors been givin me a hard time to get started, i may put one on th back to, 50# thrust. mainly for a back up motor.

11. MississippiJugHead

MississippiJugHead New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I also have the trolling motor mounted on the stern of the john boat. I am in the rear anyway so its easier to reach as it doesn't have any foot type controls.
    When I put out my jugs I like to pick out specific spots for each jug and that usually involves structure and me wanting my jug in the middle of it. With a small boat and the trolling motor I have found I can get into and out of spots the guys with their bigger boats cannot.

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=13113&d=1154038061

12. caatstalker

caatstalker New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    i have a 14 jon. had that prob. i got a minnkotah wth the opt . quick disconect , just pop it off run ur lines , back on an go, my 40 will troll all day.with remote just sit in back , works well just dont mash the remote while trying to land a big blue . thats another story. i guess its realy .... just , whatever u prefer ive had my share of boats ,seems like i just keep fishing out of this old jon. good topic.

13. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I also have mine on the rear since that's where I drive from and fish from. Now on my Cajun it's on the front, but I never use it cause I'm not up there.

14. clintonhawg1

clintonhawg1 New Member

State:
    indiana
    I like the transom mount just because if you are trying to bang around in the brush it has less chance of getting damaged .But the bow mount seem to move the boat alot easier.

15. super_pain

super_pain New Member

State:
    indiana
    I've got a 35# in front and a 45# at the transom on a 14' v-bottom. There is always 2 of us so when it comes to getting into some tough spots the guy at the front drives us in while i am looking at the fish finder in the back..That little system works great when working around trees looking for the fish..

16. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    If I'm fishing alone, I definitely want my TM on the stern. But steering from the rear is like driving a car in reverse. So I developed the habit of running my jonboat backward with the TM. No, it won't go quite as fast, but if I wanted to go fast, I'd crank up my outboard; and I don't recommend that method for rough or choppy water because you'll get wet from the waves hitting the transom and splashing up on you. Advantages? Don't have to get up and go from one end of the boat to the other to switch between outboard & TM; I can look right down into the water just ahead of the TM and spot stumps, snags, etc. Taking the handle off and reversing it makes it more convenient to run the TM. I've got a bow mounted TM on my 16' Bigjon, and I find that it's not nearly as convenient as the stern mount.