Jon boats and trailers

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by smhmc6, May 19, 2007.

1. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Hey, I am seriously considering buying a 14' jon boat here pretty soon. I had a reliable but piece of junk fiberglass flatback canoe I used before but I carelessly hit a pot hole while driving to the bait store and cracked it last week. I've toyed with the ideas of either buying a new jon boat or trying to find a decent used one. I think I'm going to buy a new one and I noticed that a new trailer is more expensive then the actual boat. I think for a while I will just load it up in the back of my truck seeing as they are only around 130 lbs. Later it may be nice to get a trailer, but I was wondering if it is hard to find used trailers? Alot of used boats come with trailers, but I wonder if you can just find the trailers. I am assuming that they aren't too heavy to carry but I'm looking to you veterans to give me the facts. I wasn't going to put an engine on it, I was thinking of just buying about a 50 pound thrust transom trolling motor. Thats another question, from your guy's experience is that enough/ too much thrust for that size boat? I'm not looking for a speed demon, just something I can get on rivers and go up or downstream maybe a mile or two to fish out of or run lines with. Also, it would be my first boat so really I have lots of questions. Is registering a boat like that usually pretty cheap? I guess instead of asking a million questions... I'll just leave it open to you guys... if you have any suggestions/ tips/ and answers to my above questions please drop me a post. Thanks in advance.

2. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    i have a 16' river jon and my 35 thrust troller works fine , i dont think you will need a 50 lol

have you tried patching the fiberglass boat you have , i have a 18' fiber canoe it had several holes i patched with glass and it still does the job , you can pick up the glass at auto zone and fix it fairly cheap , cheaper than buying another boat and save the money to buy a better rig with trailer at another date . just my oppinion .

3. thunderchicken

thunderchicken New Member

State:
    Yuma Az
    I think I remember seeing small boat trailers listed in Basspro Shops catalogs. Not sure what type of boats they were for but as I recall they were very user friendly in terms of adaptability. Just an idea.

:cool2:

4. Moose1

Moose1 New Member

State:
    STEUB, OHIO

try looking in the news papper for a used one.
    do you have a flyer that comes out full of all kinds of stuff , where people are selling or looking to buy??
    you can find all sorts of things in one of these.
    a 35lb. thrust troll is plenty big ,dose a fine job on my 16 foot jon,even in the ohio river.
    elwood

5. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
    Go on the prowl looking for a junker boat in someones back yard. You can usually spot them out back by the fence with the paint all faded out and either full of leaves or covered by an old tarp. When I worked in people's yards I asked about several and got one for $100.00 and I actually got GIVEN $20.00 to haul one away.
    In both cases the old fiberglass boats were trashed with cables all frozen and wooden parts rotten ect. I actually hauled the boats and trailers to the dump and just slid the boats off to be buried with the trash.
    On the other hand the trailers just needed the rust knocked off and one needed new tires. I sand blasted one of the trailers, painted it and converted it to a flatbed utility trailer for lawnmowers and gokarts. The other trailer was in excellent shape and I put it in the local paper for sale. I got given $20.00 to haul it off, sold it for $200.00. Minus gas to pick it up and one trip to the dump at $10.00. Net profit $205.00!

6. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    If you are trying to find a trailer, it seems as though it is darn near impossible. If your trying to sell a trailer, it seems as though that also is darn near impossible. I have two trailers and 1 boat setting in my yard. Tried to sell them...not much luck on any of them. You just have to be in the right place at the time your looking. Those jon boats are great with trolling motors. I always preferred the little gas kickers...they'd go as far as you had gas and fairly fast also. Anything from 3 HP up. But they are not quite as maneuverable as the trolling motors. Course their battery don't run down either. Either way there is trade offs. Don't think Kansas gouges their citizens the way Oklahoma does, but I think this state is fairy reasonable on their registration fees. If the motor is over 10 HP it also requires annual fees. LOL

7. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Thanks guys, I appreciate all your advice. One more question though... I have a 24 V trolling battery (marine, deep cell, and all that). What would happen if I ran a trolling motor that only requires 12 V on that 24 V? Anything bad?

8. jlangford

jlangford New Member

State:
    texas
    I wouldn't hook that 12 motor up to 24 volts. One, you would probably get airborne and two, it would burn up pretty fast if it didn't blow the fuse first. As for a trailer you might try marinas around the lake that store trailers for people who rent boat slips to people. Many times the boat gets sold, stolen, or just sunk and the trailer is left as is. The owner or marina operator sell them really cheap.

9. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
  10. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Thanks guys, both good ideas... wouldn't have thought of asking mariana owners and that harbor frieght trailor doesn't look bad either. Wonder how good it does on the longer hauls. I still have a few more weeks before I can sink some money into this stuff, don't start working my summer job until next week. I figure on about two weeks of pay to be able to keep up with the bills and still have enough left over to buy. I'm chompin at the bit, its about the only thing on my mind... kinda sucks. But patience is something I'm normally good at so I'll just have to dig down deep and wait for the right time. :tounge_out: Thanks again to all who gave out tips and insight.

11. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Right place, right time. That's no joke. Week before I started looking, guy sold his without mentioning it, and week after I went an bought an outfit, right around the corner what I was really looking for turned up in the front yard with a for sale sign on it....don't rush.
    :smile2:

12. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    The new trailer sounds like a good bet.

I've rebuilt a couple of old trailers, and by the time you put tires, bearings, new bunk boards, lights, a new winch strap, etc. on one, you're well on your way to the price of a new trailer.