jon boat vs. a v bottom

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by paintball1022, Jul 10, 2008.

1. paintball1022

paintball1022 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    i was thinking about buying my step dads v bottom from him but i was looking in my cabelas catalog and saw a jon boat for sell and if i saved through the winter i could get the jon boat with no problem.... wat is ur opions on which one is best?

2. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    i would take a good hard look at where you do the majority of your fishing. and what style of fishing you prefer. what are your needs? do you fish deep water? shallow water? how much space do you need? how much motor? etc.

the key difference in a jon vs. deep v, is how they handle rough weather. a deep v will almost allways outperform a jon boat on rough water. however a jon boat typically has more floor space, and can get into tighter, more shallow spots.

i myself chose a good modified v. it does o.k. in the chop, but i wouldnt take it out in a hurricane. it floats in very little water, has plenty of floor space. and it suits my fishing needs.

hope this helps.

also, how soon do you wanna be on the water? sometimes wants are more influential than needs.

3. Big Vic

Big Vic New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I happen to have one of each a 16 foot jon and a 17 foot Lund I like the jon for some of the small ponds and lakes in my area,it will go in the real shallow water back in the timber where I like to be at times. The wind dont bother me to much but again I'm on a small pond or lake and the wind dont have room to get things stirred up like a big lake. I'll take the Lund if I'm going to the bigger lakes. But I still have a lot of respect for the wind !! You can get in trouble before you know it and sure dont want to get caught in a storm with a small boat on a big lake !!
    OH! and lighting is not a good thing either :smile2::smile2:

4. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats New Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    I would go with the v bottom due to safety reasons. It's much harder to turn over. Not all boating accidents are due to the weather.

5. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
    In a comparison between a V-hull and a flat bottom all the things above are true except;

Every one of the Jon boats I have owned I could get up on the rail and stand to fly fish. Even the front rail on the end of the boat. Try that with a V-hull.

:smile2:

6. Jaylake_21

Jaylake_21 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I have a 16 foot flat bottom jon boat, and am very pleased with it. It could have more space, but if i had more space, id just pile more stuff in there that would just get in my way. I fish for just about anything I can catch, and have been very happy with my jon boat.

Im sure whatever boat you will choose will be good. If you do get the wrong boat, you can always sell it and get something different. Its not like getting married!!! Try trading a wife in...... :smile2:

7. rob128146

rob128146 New Member

State:
    Rockwell, North Carolina
    I have had both and my favorite one is the flat bottom. I have a 18 ft Lowe with a 35 hp on it and i absolutly love it. I can go anywhere in it and catch what I want. I beleive it is to your preference. My friend had a V and he wouldn't trade it for anything. Anyway hope this helps and good luck with your chose.:big_smile:

8. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    I have a 16 1/2 v hull I used for the river and big lakes. I also have a 14 jon boat I use for ponds and small creeks. Get both if ya can.:big_smile: If not ya probably need to see what kinda places you'll fish most and decide from there.

9. paintball1022

paintball1022 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    im gonna mostly be fishing big lakes

10. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Vee.

11. Redneck1

Redneck1 Guest

A V-bottom boat will ride a lot smoother than a flat-bottom, especially on a big lake.

12. Zing

Zing Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Andrew I would go with a V-bottom for big lakes, also what is the size of the boats?

13. paintball1022

paintball1022 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    i'm not sure wat the size of the boat is but i'm going this weekend to get all the details on it so i'll make sure to keep u posted if i need any advice :wink:

14. Pacman

Pacman New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I'd go with the V for lakes. Besides you have some time to soften him up and maybe get a good "family discount". And with a used boat you often get freebies like rod holders, rope and anchor, paddles, etc. If he extends you credit, make every payment on time!

15. TexDan

TexDan New Member

State:
    Texas
    The V hull is better when you are moving. The flat bottom shines when you stop to fish. The hull of the V hull is like the shape of a rocking chair and acts like one. The flat bottom is more stable when you move around in it when you are fishing. I have a Bass Tracker that is essentially a big flat bottom with a v bow. I LOVE it until the water gets rough. Then I am wet and pounded by every wave. Since I mostly fish rivers and creek beds in the back of coves I will accept the wet and bumpy ride every once in a while for the superior fishing platform while I fish. If I spent more time in the open lake I would have to get a v hull...or use my pontoon boat.

16. Steven Armstrong

Steven Armstrong New Member

State:
    Sallisaw,Oklahoma
    we use an 19ft. flat bottom, but its deep and wide. it takes ruff water, we fish a big shallow lake on the arkansas river navagation system, we fish the stumps with no problems as well as deep water. the only problem is in ruff water the ride can also be ruff. ours is a lowe brand , roughneck model. if you are buying ,semi v`s are a little of both.

17. paintball1022

paintball1022 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    ok so it's a 14' v bottom with a 7 hp motor (doesn't know if works though) it has storage space in it with 2 bass chairs, life jackets, and anchor...... my step dad was telling me about how to make it legal to take on the water and he said that i would need a red and green light for either side???
    wats the lights for?

18. Redneck1

Redneck1 Guest

It all depends on how much he wants for the boat, if it's like 100 bucks or so then go for it. Having a boat to take fishing is better than not having a boat to take fishing. This way you'll have a boat and can still save up money for a bigger and better one later if you want. As for the nav lights they sell battery powered clip-ons for night use.
    :big_smile:

19. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    Id say if the price is right you should take it!

7 h/p anit gonna be real fast but it should be a solid performer. The vee will do better on big water, It should cut a wave well.

I do do some big water and have choosen a simiv or mod v flat bottom.
    good luck

20. paintball1022

paintball1022 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    he's selling it to me for 500 but the reason he's selling it for that much is becuase he made a deck so ur off the bottom of the boat and it also has new carpet and he made a storage unit for it i will post pics when i can.....:smile2: