Jon boat transom thickness ?

Discussion in 'Boating' started by kyron4, Apr 5, 2007.

1. kyron4

kyron4 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have an older 10' heavy duty aluminum jon boat. The transom is made of 1 1/2" thick plywood, 12" high and 40" long at the top; it goes down 3/4 the way to the bottom of the boat and is held on by machine screws. It weighs around 8-10 lbs. I use a 55# transom mounted trolling motor only. My question , do I need 1 1/2" thick plywood back there ? Can I replace it with 1/2" or 3/4" plywood and be okay ? Ten pounds doesn't sound like much but it really adds weight to the rear, mainly when loading and unloading from back of the truck. I notice alot of newer jons have no wood in the rear or a 12"x12" piece of wood to mount a motor. Any comments or opinions ?
    -Thanks

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    You should try and get it to original manufacturer's thickness. You may own the boat today and not tomorrow. The new owner may not be a rocket scientist and try to hang a motor back there that the orig specs lists. Besides, your only talking about sandwiching two or three pieces of plywood together to get the proper thickness. Like my daddy always used to say... if a job is worth doing, it is worth doing right.

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I agree with this. Do it right the first time. Enough said.:big_smile:

4. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Its bolted in.
    Make a new one out of 3/4 plywood bolt it in place. Keep the original to put back in it if you decide to upgrade the motor or sell the boat.
    Or just bolt up a 1x6 onto the transom, fill the unused holes with bolts, washers, and taps.

Whats there now doesnt sound factory me. I've never seen an 1-1/2" thick transom on a 10 foot jon. The boat is only rated for a 5 HP I imagine.
    I've got several sets of plans here for up to a 75 horse motor and none of them have a transom that thick.

5. kyron4

kyron4 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    There's nothing wrong with the wood other than being to heavy and it does appear original to the boat as it fits under the squared lip at the top and looks factory not home made. I would think 1/2" plywood with the top 4" being 1 1/2" would be enough and of coarse I'll save the old one. What do you think ? -Thanks