Jon boat storage ideas

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by rzrbk24, Mar 20, 2007.

1. rzrbk24

rzrbk24 New Member

State:
    Pope Air Force Base, NC
    I need some storage space in my boat and was wondering what ideas you guys may have. I've got a 12' Jon, 2 swivel seats on pedestals and a minn kota endura 40. Almost everytime I go fishing I have a buddy with me and with all the rods, tackle boxes and other crap, there isn't much room left. I've already had to start using a smaller cooler. I was thinking about maybe cutting a storage hatch in the bow seat. Nobody sits there anyways and I just need a place to keep the life jackets, first-aid kit, snacks and things. Has anybody ever done this or have any better ideas. I want to stay away from building a deck, but I may be able to put in storage boxes on the sides. Thanks in advance for any help or ideas.

2. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Don't know where to start with this one but.. 12 foot Jon Boat?.. Storage? ROTFLMAO!

Just kidding, sort of, I run a 10 footer and any place under seats is stuffed with floatation, and shortly under the front deck(seat) will be too. Storage for me is on the deck. I did find a cooler that will fit between the aft seat and the transom. Tall and skinny, will hold damn near a case and enough ice to last the contents. (Igloo Max Cold from walmart.)

If you insist, you may want to build a hatch(door) between the bottom of the front deck (seat) and the deck and avoid cutting any metal.

If you find a better idea please let me know.

Good luck!

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I think you need to load your boat up just like you were going fishing. Then you and your friend go to a coast guard auxiliary for a boat inspection/safety class. If you still want to add more to the boat after that...I hope it floats. I think you are pushing the safety envelope for your boat now....

4. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Having fished out of a 12 footer for many years, your options on storage are very, very limited. You can create some small places for storing small items, but the bigger stuff you will just have to pile in and hope for the best. I did remove the bench seats from a 16 foot john, but I did lose most of the flotation, replaced the seats with plastic, poly or some sort of man made material that measured about 18 inch's sq. cut a lid from plywood, hinged it, and mounted seats to that. 2 batteries and the other electrical stuff in one, life jackets etc in the other one.

5. Wooly

Wooly New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Sometimes I think the only way to take all I think I need would be to float a raft behind the boat:big_smile: . The last few times I've been out I have started to realize maybe I really don't need all that gear. Maybe I need to organize my gear instead of trying to get more storage.
    Perhaps if I group my gear to the type of fishing I plan to do I'll not be wrestling unneeded equipment.
    Thanks for the post, you have got me rethinking my setup. :worship:
    I know this wasn't an answer to your question, but it sure got me asking myself questions.

Wooly

6. rzrbk24

rzrbk24 New Member

State:
    Pope Air Force Base, NC
    I don't think I'm pushing the envelope with the amount of stuff we take and definately not with the weight. I just want to put stuff out of the way without stepping on it or getting hooks stuck in it. I don't know how many times I've gotten a hook stuck in my life jacket. It's things like that that I need in the boat, but I don't need it getting in the way. We don't take "alot", there's just not alot of room left after we take what we need to fish (fishing rods, tackle boxes, bait, cooler, life jackets, first aid kit). The cooler I have is only big enough for a 6 pack of cokes and a box of nightcrawlers.

7. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    James... I've always tried to maxamize the space and storage on my boats. On my 12 ft semi vee, I moved the seats up some to get more room at the back.... I even moved the middle seat... Later I wanted more enclosed space and attached nailers to the seats to accomitate slider panel of plywood so that I could open and close them to access. I put indoor/out door carpet on them, this made a nice place to cover over the gas tank and the battery which I place in the middle of the boat rather than at the back.. see what I have done with the pictures that I have enclosed.... "fix... repair... modify" thats what I advocate....

bayrunner ray

8. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    forgot the pics....

I have my tarp over the top, and a center pole to keep the rain out.....

bayrunner ray

9. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I would start by putting the life jacket on. Or put it on the back of your seat, if your seat has a back. That will get that out of the way. When I had my jon boat I bought a plastic storage box from walmart that had a hinged lid and cup holders built in, that thing was strong. You could stand on it if you needed to and it held every thing. I think it was called a smart box? It also kept everything dry as long as the lid was closed nothing would get in there. Good luck, if that don't work you either need a bigger boat or your buddy needs his own.:big_smile:

10. Catter

Catter New Member

State:
    Osceola, Arkansas
    You could always mount hanging trays on the side of the boat that hang out over the water like a cutting board setup. Keep your tackle box, cooler, etc there. Get some rod holders mounted on the rails to keep them out of the floor also. A small box in the rear would work great for the small stuff. This would keep the floor clean and allow for more footing.

Joe

11. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I would say take your boat to the dealer and see what they will give you on trade in for a bigger boat. and take all your gear with you and make shure it will all fit out of the way the way your trying to get a little boat to do. I got a 14 foot little john and a javelin fish n ski but when the little john goes out all I take is two poles life vest/seat cusion (thats an all in one item)lol and I put together a small box for bait. and one ore and yep I'm old school when in the john I prefer to skull the boat.

12. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I hesitate to beat a dead horse... for curosity's sake, I checked these places on the web...

http://www.directboats.com/waco12jonboat.html

http://www.directboats.com/12x42wejonbo.html

two different types of Jon boats...the largest had 700 pounds max weight - and that is the weight of anything not manufactured on the boat. So, the weight of anything you put into the boat has to be computed, down to even the box of night crawlers. Then, and only then, can you add to the BASIC boat. When you cut the seats, you will be loosing flotation. May not be important, but you can easily be betting your life and the life of your partner that it is not. If you just have a small motor or a trolling motor, why not see if you can get a small barge think you can tow with you...if you cannot eliminate some tackle.

13. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Having swamped mine and a few others over the years, I am big on floatation.
    I don't know that it would save a life, but it beats the dickins out of diving to salvage the boat. Along the same lines, experience has taught me to keep anything I am not using tied or Velcro strapped to the boat.

Using one oar to try to chase the other (and the tackle box, shoe, cooler and whatever else that floats) down the river sucks.
    We will not even talk about the stuff that does not float.:sad2:

14. Defiant

Defiant New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Personally the weight Limits on some Boats are Stupid ! I have a Coleman Crawdad that we use for small or shallow water and the plate says like 420 pounds or something like that. What are we small children I weigh 205 and my buddy weigh's about 190 thats 395 there then add motor (47#) trolling motor (20#)Battery(61#) then add poles,gas,cooler and whatever else and you have a little over 500 pound's and that little thing floats fine even had a few big wakes put about 4 inches of water in it LOL and she just keep on rollin and was only about 4-5 inches in the water.

I am not saying that you should overload the boat but they need to update the formulas they use to figure the Capacity figure's with.

15. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    The max weight is calculated for optimum conditions. When you get into some water with wave action or heavy current, that load range is too high. Every time you overload a boat, your betting that nothing bad is going to happen. Thats gambling. Not many winners walk away from Vegas.

16. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I agree with Lawrence.

Small boats are groovy, but they are what they are, and require a backpacker's mindset.

"There is nothing -- absolute NOTHING -- half so much
    worth doing as simply messing-about in boats."
    From Kenneth Grahame's "The Wind in the Willows"

17. Defiant

Defiant New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I understand the reason behind it But 2 people plus 5hp motor is already over the limit I am just saying they need to update there calculations most people dont weigh 150# like they did 30-40 years ago when that was the average weight of the average person .My canoe can hold over 800# and the Crawdad 420# I would rater be in a Crawdad then a Conoe in rough water anyday.

I remember when Coleman was advertising the Crawdad they had over 800# of cement blocks in it sitting on the water. Like I said earlier overloading a boat is dangerous and should be avoided but some limits on boats are just plan to low.

18. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    The limits on the weight capacity is calculated for that boat. A man that weighs 140 lbs and has a 110 lb wife probably wouldn't have the same problems other boaters face. The weight capacity is determined by a formula which includes the boats length, width and height (put simply). If you want to increase weight capacity, you have to increase one of these components. But instead of saying the weight is too low for the boat, we might ought to say the budget was too small. LOL

19. rzrbk24

rzrbk24 New Member

State:
    Pope Air Force Base, NC
    Take a look at the pic below. It's a pic of a new boat(different style boat but it's a 12' like mine) with an open hatch cut from the back side of the bow seat. That's what I'm talking about doing to my boat. Anybody have a boat that came like this from the factory or has anybody done this to their boat? Does this affect flotation at all? I'm not looking to overload this new compartment with a bunch of stuff, just the things I mentioned when I started this thread.

Attached Files:

20. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    That's kinda what I was talking about. On my 10 ft the front deck (seat) is much smaller and completely open from the side. would have to be "built in". I thought you were speaking of cutting a hatch in from the top.

From the pic it does not look as if there is much or any floatation up in there. Other than maybe catching air.

Is your's like that? Spilt the difference. Cut your hatch and stuff half of the space with foam.

I have a buddy with a 14ft that has what at first glance appears to be rod holder compartments down both inside sides. These, on his boat, are filled with foam. Probably not practical to fabricate but kind of a neat idea that does not take up much usable space.