Jon boat questions

Discussion in 'Boating' started by Andrew Y'Barbo, Nov 9, 2008.

1. Andrew Y'Barbo

Andrew Y'Barbo New Member

State:
    Texas
    I am 14 years old. I am planning to do some commercial cating when I turn 16. I was woundering what kind of jon to buy for East Texas ? I plain on having my buddy and I with a lot of blues in the boat. I do not want a boat that cost a fortune .Any thing will help size, shape, style.

2. catmansam92

catmansam92 New Member

State:
    kentucky

you need to get you a double hull rubber bottom boat with a 36 pound thrust minn cota im 16 i got one i live in kentucky and me my brother fish in it and were pretty big boys we musky fish in ours

3. Andrew Y'Barbo

State:
    Texas
    No thanks .I will fish out of my Ranger 521vx comanche with 225 opti and 101lbs. thrust trolling motor before i get in a rubber boat, in gator country

4. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    What do you mean by "Commercial Cattin"

5. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    IF I WERE A BLUE AND YOU WERE FISHING FOR ME ID BE REAL SCAIRED!:eek:oooh:

I would ask you work with your parents and learn the rules of safe water craft useage. Its the unexpected that will get you in a pickle.

Good luck.
    Brian

6. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    I would just get a big flatbottom welded jon, or carolina skiff and put a tiller motor on it. This will basically be a small barge (in my opinion). Very stable and plenty of weight capacity. The flat bottom will also be more fuel efficient because it tends to ride on top of the water instead of plowing thru it (reducing your overhead and putting more money in your pocket, which is the point anyway). I say a tiller motor because this will allow you to have the floor wide open for moving around, and you wont have to worry about the added expense of a console and the wiring and cables. I would also either get one with a floor, or put a floor in it so you are not tripping over ribs or twisting your ankles when you step on them wrong. Maybe put some non skid paint or other coating, cause we all know catfish slime is slippery, and aint much worse than being on a boat and cant get no gription. A 2 stroke motor will be cheaper, but if you will be doing a lot of idling, a 4 stroke may be a better choice, they supposedly last longer and you wont have to worry about fouling plugs.

7. Andrew Y'Barbo

State:
    Texas
    Thank you cantstopgrandma.

8. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    I'd look at an 1860 or 2060 or 2072 jon boat. Lots of manufacturers to choose from. Look at the hull thickness before you buy. Get the thickest hull you can afford. I would also go for an all welded boat as opposed to riveted.

9. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    my first boat was a pro-jon semi v and that was the best river boat i owned, i'm still kickin myself for gettin rid of it, it was very stable, cheap ta run and i didn't mind when it bounced off a rock.

10. Andrew Y'Barbo

State:
    Texas
    I'm thinking of geting me a riveted Flatbottom jon. I can do some duck guiding if I need cash. Thank you'll for helping.

11. RRRKKK

RRRKKK New Member

State:
    Quincy IL
    My welded Roughneck weighs almost 700# the same boat in a rivited version weighs somewhere between 330# t0 400# this is smomething to consider, especially if you are to use a trolling motor only.

12. Marcos

Marcos New Member

State:
    Texas
    I have a lowe 15ft tunnel hull jon with a 25hp evi it is cheap to operate and easy to trailer and it gets you on the water and back. I can go all weekend in 6 gallons of fuel. I picked it from craigslist for $2800 a couple of years ago. I am very please with my jon. I like jon boat because it ok if you beach it or hit a rock\stump when you run shallow.

13. seahaggy

seahaggy New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Texas has gators ??? Get a good flat bottom jon the longer and wider the better.Go for a tiller handle for better control if you plan on set lines , trout lines etc...This will work on a river or lake.

14. CatfishAngler25

CatfishAngler25 New Member

State:
    Prestonsburg,Kentucky
    A flatbottom jon 12 or 14ft that has atleast a bottom width of atleast 36 inches and top of atleast 50 iches this helps with stability in the water

15. Andrew Y'Barbo

State:
    Texas
    I atleast have to have a 1548. What do you think the best company is???

16. FISHSKINNER

FISHSKINNER Member

State:
    Texas
    Name:
    Mike
    Alumacraft

17. Andrew Y'Barbo

State:
    Texas
    Weld or rivet

18. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Sea-Ark..... Welded 125 gauge alum. Gators wont eat it as easy ! :eek:oooh:

19. jdward

jdward New Member

State:
    Memphis, TN
    Weld-bilt's are pretty good for the money. I like the sea ark's and the roughnecks too though. Personally, I run an F&F, and those boats are built like tanks. That could be a downside though if you are looking at weight as an issue. I also think the only way to go is with an all welded boat. They just seem to take abuse and missuse a little better:wink:.

20. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    A good riveted boat should last 30 years or better. Dad has a 1972 riveted smokercraft that just barely leaks around the bow. Uncle has a 1978 riveted polarkraft that has had the ever-living-hell beat out of it (breaking ice, running into rock solid frozen marsh, sliding over tons of mud and muck, etc, etc, etc)... Dont leak a drop. If you buy a decent brand, and take care of it, they should last a very long time. I used to work at a bicycle shop, and I saw tons of aluminum bicycle frames crack at the welds (and we aren't talking about wal-mart bikes, we're talking good name brands). I'm not saying there is anything wrong with welded boats, but dont think just because they are welded they cant have their share of problems too. Welded boats do however usually use thicker aluminum than their riveted counterparts, which like you said makes them heavier. I personally wanted a riveted boat when i bought mine. They cost less and i'll probably be ready for something new by the time i wear it out, or it falls apart.