Jon Boat Project Idea

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by Aquacat, Jan 24, 2006.

1. Aquacat

Aquacat New Member

State:
    Sherman, Texas
    Guys, I'm all the time out looking for boat projects and I came across this jon boat project and I thought it would be great to share it with the boc brothers and sisters! Go to www.bassingfools.com/jonboat/boat.htm

2. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    man that is nice! sad thing is when i bought my 14 footer it was customized like that and i gutted it and made it a cat boat. dude i bought it from just done it a year prior.

3. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Problem solved . Marine plywood (particularly Meranti or Okoume)is stronger and lighter.
    He could have done the decks in 1/2" with some 12 oz glass / epoxy and a simple lightweight structure underneath it.

They arent the first to over engineer a boat.
    People build planing hulls out of 1/4" ply everyday.
    1/4" Meranti is on average 4-6 pounds lighter per sheet then your standard box store 1/4" pine ply. The weight savings adds up along with money and more weight saved in fairing "inferior" plywood.

I hope their boat is stored inside.:)

4. Aquacat

Aquacat New Member

State:
    Sherman, Texas
    Mark, thanks for the information.

5. Leakyboat

Leakyboat New Member

Purdy interesting reading Barry,thanks for posting it!
    Ernie

6. lonegunman88240

lonegunman88240 New Member

State:
    new mexico
    they did a good job, on mine i got a removable front deck, if i go fishing with the wife i put it on cause she likes to sunbathe, if i go alone or with a buddy i leave it off, i like my boat as light as possible, even considering replacing my old 15 hp outboard with a 9.9 hp to lose some weight, imho a catfish boat needs to be nekkid lol