jon boat paint

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by bigBB, Feb 12, 2008.

1. bigBB

bigBB Member

State:
    St.Louis, MO
    hey guys... what type of paint would i use to paint an aluminum jon boat? most sites I've looked at seamed to only deal with marine paint in regards to fiberglass etc. thanks

2. bigmaac73

bigmaac73 Member

State:
    Lenoir City, TN
    When I painted my jon boat, I used self etching primer, then some automotive primer then a flat automotive paint with a clear coat finish. Looks pretty dern good if I do say so myself and all the layers make it very effective at warding off any corrosion attempts by old mother nature. I was just gonna use regular rust stop paint, but when I talked to one of the paint shops here in town he told me to use the automotive stuff with plenty of primer and a clear coat. It will take a beating too. That is the same method they use to paint football helmets!

3. brewfish

brewfish New Member

State:
    fl
    It really comes down to how much you are time and money you are willing & able to spend. I myself am only going to primier certain spots (bare metal) with zinc chromate primer (also comes in spray cans as well as quarts, gals, etc) and the rest of the paint which is sticking good (i.e not chipping, flaking, etc) is just going to get sanded and then cleaned with some acetone and then i'm going to lay down a couple of coats of Pettit EasyPoxy and call it a day.

It is not the best & most expensive but it isn't totally cheap either. I want something that was at least designed for the marine envrioment and has a chance at standing up to the elements (i also do a good bit of saltwater fishing) I'm afraid that automotive paint just isn't up to the task. As much a pain and expense that it is I only want to have to do it once and have it be right. There other popular brands out there such as Awlgrip & Interlux that do a nice job also, just depends on how much you have to spend.

One thing worth mentioning is that paints such as Interlux and Pettit have certain types that are designed to where then can be applied with a roller and paint brush. (rolling and tipping I think they call it) This type of paint is self leveling and when dried you won't see any paint brush marks in it. This is a real advantage if you don't have the equipment or area to do it with a traditional spray rig. I have seen a couple of boats done this way that turned out extremely nice but it just takes a bit of elbow grease to make it happen.

I would steer clear of the 2 & 3 part epoxy paints if you don't have the proper equipment and skills to use it. I know someone who ruind there dad's brand new gun by mixing the wrong proportions of chemicals. The stuff hardend up in the gun before here could even get going good.

Hope this helps.

4. bigBB

bigBB Member

State:
    St.Louis, MO
    thanks guys.. yeah i plan on putting on a self etching primer.. but just wasn't clear on what paint to use.. you ask 5 different ppl and get 5 different answers.. lol.. a buddy is going to spray it for me.. just need to figure out what paint to use...

5. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    hey brian i wet to the local army surplus store and got a gallon of O/D green it works great and stays on and the good part is its $20.00 per gallon ! :0a26:

6. jpb

jpb New Member

State:
    NE Marietta
    WALMART HOUSE BRAND FOR ALUMINUM SIDING AND A ROLLER UNDER $15 AND ON ITS 4TH YEAR. YOU DID SA JON BOAT ,DIDN T YA ?:smile2:

7. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    There is a lot of stuff ya can use, I"d go to a local paint store and explain what the project was. Aluminum, or fiberglass, wood. Then they can recommend something. Also they can tell ya proper preparation and all the details. If ya go to a hardware store, all ya got is the kit unless someone there has used it. Most epoxy and alkyd paint will get chalky in the sun. A good 2 part polyurethane should hold up if its put on right and thick enough. I could recommend a brand if ya pm me.

8. Spills

Spills New Member

State:
    Missouri
    That sef etching primer is good stuff, works well.

9. apache61

apache61 New Member

State:
    GA
    I use to paint cars,and tractor trailers back in the day. Go to an auto paint supply shop. The same place car painters go to get there stuff. Those guys will give you good advice and proper prep steps. You see 18 wheelers running down the road with all kinds of aluminum paint jobs holding up, to all kinds of conditions.