Jon Boat or V Hull Boat Conversion ???

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by Liver Slinger, Mar 23, 2008.

1. Liver Slinger

Liver Slinger New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I havent the bucks for a fishin boat & thinking about converting an old flat bottom or V hull for the lake, maybe something like a bass boat .

I want something safe and stable.
    Size?
    Can I just deck over the benches or do they need to be removed?I would like to remove the middle bench.

Any advice?

Thanks

2. WTL

WTL New Member

State:
    alabama
    Different manufacturers differed on how they attatched the benches. In some cases benches add stability to the boat, which doesn't mean you can't take them out, but may very well mean you probably don't want to. You can definitly deck over benches, its commonly done as they add very good support for any deck.

I like the mod Vs for conversions. It depends on your fishing style a lot though. I needed something that would be fast, handle rough water reasonably well...stability while fishing didn't really concern me too much cause I'm still young and agile and never come close to falling out of any boat...so the v works. Others, bowfishermen, catfishermen...might want a flat bottom.

3. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    Depends on the depth of the water your going to be fishing as well. If your hitting shallow rivers and streams then I'd stay away from the V if it's deeper rougher rivers and streams then I'd definatly look at the V. If it's a lake your going to be fishing then it's your call. Personally I like my Deep V boat, love the way it takes the rougher water, but there is sooooo much more room in a flat bottom boat they're nice to fish out of. So what you need is 2 boats the V to ride from point A to point B and then jump in the flat bottom to do your fishing...lol:wink:

4. Liver Slinger

Liver Slinger New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Im still looking for a boat & trailer that I can afford.
    I want a 16ft. not sure what its called Flat in the back and comes to a point on the front.

5. cathooked

cathooked New Member

State:
    north carolina
    Ron welcome to the boc,youll learn summin here if ya aint careful,keep on askin and youll get anwsers..youll know what ya want in no time..

6. Storm27m

Storm27m New Member

State:
    Wichita, Kansas
    Liver Slinger,

It sounds like you're looking for a modified V jon boat. As far as the seats, they add floatation (usually filled with foam) and stability. As said, they can be removed. In mine, I just decked over the top of the benches. I can't vouch for how well it works out because it is not done yet and I haven't had it in the water since I started the project. I found my 16ft modified V jon boat on craigslist, so if you haven't been looking there, it's a good place to start. I was looking in papers and stuff locally with no luck. I used craigslist to expand my search area (out to about a 4hr drive) and found a boat in no time. Here's the link for the Arkansas Craigslist. If you live close to another state, I'd check that states listings as well.

Here's the link for Arkansas Craigslist:
    http://geo.craigslist.org/iso/us/ar

7. Liver Slinger

Liver Slinger New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Thaks guys
    I been looking on craigs list, star shopper, big nickel & news papper.

I found a few 14 ft. old V bottoms around that Im sure I could by If I asked, some have a trailer but no motor or motor but no trailer.

I found a 14ft Flat Bottom with motor & trailer in Bella Vista but the guy will not email me might be sold.

If I find a Flat or Mod V with a trailer Ill jump on it even with out a motor.

I have a ? should the boat have a title ? even if its a 14ft jon boat?

I assume the boat trailer will have a title?

Noterized like a auto ?

Really dont know what needed to be legal in Arkansas

Thanks

8. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    welcome to the boc :0a25:

9. Storm27m

Storm27m New Member

State:
    Wichita, Kansas
    Really depends on the state for titles, so you'll have to call your motor vehicles division or wildlife department to find out. Here in Kansas, the wildlife department handles the boat registration. Kansas makes you register your boat, but does not issue titles for anything. I think trailers only have to be titled if the whole package (boat, motor, trailer) is over 2000lbs. Missouri requires the boat, motor, and trailer to all have individual titles. I like Kansas better.

Looks like your DMV handles the registration:
    http://www.dmv.org/ar-arkansas/boat-registration.php

I'm not 100% sure, but it looks like you have to REGISTER any boat with a motor or sail (no title). It doesn't mention the trailer, so call your DMV and ask. When you buy a boat, make sure you get a bill of sale for proof of ownership when you register. There is a sample available on the Ark. DMV website.

Good luck finding a boat. Jump on it quickly when you find them, because they can go fast, especially if there aren't a lot for sale in the area. When I was looking, I heard "sorry it's already sold" quite a few times.

10. Liver Slinger

Liver Slinger New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Thanks Guys
    I need to call first but spoted an old V bottom I think 14 ft on a trailer , from what I can see driven by it isnt beat up but its full of trash , tires are flat maybe rotten ,transom is rotten. If the bottom is not ripped out of it I bet I can get it cheap. My luck wont have a title for the trailer or boat.