Jon Boat on Lake Pleasant

Discussion in 'ARIZONA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by The Sequel, Jul 24, 2008.

1. The Sequel

The Sequel New Member

State:
    AZ
    What do you guys think about a jon boat on Pleasant? I'm looking for a longer one in the 18 ft range and know I can't run down the middle of the lake without dealing with skiers and wakes, but do you think it would work well for getting to the coves if I stayed relatively close to shore or am I asking to get swamped and sunk. Went shore fishing in one of the northern coves last week and caught 5 small channels during the late afternoon. I'd like a boat to try some other areas as well as work the stripers. I've seen some jon boat conversions that looked pretty handy.

2. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    I have been researching the jon boat situation for a all around boat and am coming to the conclusion that one with a modified V front a 20 inch transom should do very well. I still would not get in the middle of all that speed traffic, but it should serve you very well. If I am wrong here, I assure you someone will let us both know right away. Good luck with the boat. By the way, look at a site called tinboats.net. There are a lot of nice conversions there.:cool2:

3. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    The big jons will do just about anything you want them to do. Good luck fishing and welcome to the BOC

4. Capt_Catfish

Capt_Catfish New Member

State:
    az
    ive gota 12 footer that i take out to bartlett all the time-
    20 footer is a big boat-
    i say no worries with that tank!

5. The Sequel

The Sequel New Member

State:
    AZ
    Thanks for the replies. I'm going to look at one this weekend. I've looked at tinboats.com and other jon boat mod sites and am interested in doing something like that but since I have two teenagers that like to fish with me, I want something that will work for 3 of us. Hopefully I can find something for a deal. I'll let you all know.

6. Zonaman

Zonaman New Member

State:
    Florida
    You'll have to let us know how that works out. I've seen Lake Pleasant in the most vicious moods. One day in particular the waves were crashing over the dock at the 10 lane ramp. Only one guy launched while we we there and he got his rig bashed against the dock with water dumping over the transom for his trouble. I'm not certain that hugging the shore is all that safe in those conditions. I prefer a V-hull and an automtic bilge pump myself.

7. The Sequel

The Sequel New Member

State:
    AZ
    Well, I wound up buying the boat. It is a 20 foot Weldbilt and is in excellent shape. It has some paint overspray from a nearby house on it but it comes off with a bit of buffing. It came with a trailer, 30 HP Evinrude, battery, battery box, paddle, net, 44# bow mount TM, anchor w/anchormate, gas tank, older Eagle fishfinder, 2 bass seats, and 2 built in livewells. We've been out to Pleasant twice now and it does great. Also spent several days fishing up on the Rim. So far it seems like a pretty good deal. I'll probably work on doing some decking and storage compartments before long but in in the meantime, I'm pretty happy with it.
    I'll try to see if I can attach a photo.

Attached Files:

8. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    Great looking boat, which rim lakes allow the 30 hp motor or do you have a trolling motor?

9. The Sequel

The Sequel New Member

State:
    AZ
    We were at Willow Springs and just used the trolling motor. It has a 44# bow mount and that did the trick for us. It sure would have been nice to have a small outboard up there but the trolling motor will work for that until I can find something 10 HP or under for a deal. I was surprised to see the size of some of the boats up there. There were a few full blown bass boats with 250 HP motors but they were all running a small kicker and their trollers up there.