Jon Boat Mods. I Need Ideas

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by T-Bone, Oct 25, 2005.

1. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Hey all you Jon Boat Owners out there. A buddy and I have just bought a 1983 15' extra wide Alumacraft flat bottom with no center seat. It has a small deck up front about 3', from the factory. the rear bench is shaped like a U (transom to bench to transom). We have zero storage. There are no holes drilled or anykind of mods to this boat yet. This boat will be used for Catfishin' and Bassfishin'. I think I have found all the web-site Jon-mods. that are out there. Some are really good. Now I'm asking ya'll if you have any great ideas on modifying my boat? Most of the time there will be only two in the boat,however, sometimes we will have three. Has anyone built an add on deck and how ? What's the best flooring to use? Also, we would like to add raised seats. I've read that the bench seats are not strong enough for this type of seating. Any good idea how to do it right? We need some type of floor in it also.
    I guess what I am really asking is : If this were your boat, what would you do it ?

2. Chris

Chris New Member

State:
    Spring Hill, Kansas
    Rod holders, Rod holders and Rod Holders. I would put a baittank/livewell in the boat, you can make one out of cooler or even a bucket. Lights is another thing that I would install.

Chris

3. davesoutfishing

davesoutfishing New Member

State:
    Menominee Michigan
    when I did my floor in my jonboat I sheets of 2 inch foam insulation and layed it between the ribs then I got some 3/8 inch treated plywood layed it over the insulation adds to floatation I also made a storage bench in the center works great

4. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    T-Bone the first thing I would do is get me 2 gallons of a roll on truck bed liner and coat the inside of the deck. This will help keep it quite, pervent slipping and stop any leaks it may have no matter how small. This will also make the clean up easyer as it keeps small peaces of bait and such from getting under the supports and smelling up the boat.

5. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi
    Hay t-bone i have a 16 ft v bottom monarch but have a few ideas for ya as far as seats go. It has folding boat seats that were put in before i bought it but the did a good job in the back they took a 1x12 and screwed it down with brass screws took a 1x2 and screwed them to the front and back then took1x2 and layed them flat on top of the other 1x2 and screwed them down get your boat seat and your seat swivel cut you a 1" pice of 1x to go in the middle of the seat and swivel than cut a pice of 1x fight in the slot so the seat will slide side to side. Lights i took two 12 volt florescent that they use to work on cars and mounted them on the seat bases facing the floor so when you turn them on you dont cast to many shadows. The floor is 3/4 ply wood put foam down between th ribs caulk on the ribs took indoor/outdoor carpet tacked that on the plywood and screwed the plywood down it dont make any noise! Hope this helps sorry about the spelling and punctuations

6. THE FISH WHISPER'ER

THE FISH WHISPER'ER New Member

State:
    waynesville ,IL
    DID ALL OF THAT STUFF A FEW YEARS BACK ,LERNED A LESSON KEEP THE AD ONS TO JUST NESSECARY STUFF LIKE ROD HOLDERERS AN AN BAIT WELL BUTT BE CARFULL NOT TO GET TO HEAVY I DID AND THAT HANDY LITTLE BOAT GOT TO BE TO CUMBERSUM TO MANUVER IN SHALLOW WATTER ALSO IT SATT DOWN DEEPER NOT AS MUCH ROOM BETWEEN THE WATER AND THE TOP OF YOUR BOAT(easy to flood with a wave or shfting weight)

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    IMO, it depends a lot on how much room you have, as well as what you're trying to accomplish. Lots of rodholders, but some or all can be made removeable by attaching the rodholders to wooden boards or sections of pvc pipe that easily attach along the sides and transom. As far as that goes, I guess you could even rig the same thing across the bow.
    If you've already got a deck across the front, it should be easy to modify it so that you have storage underneath, and maybe even a swivel chair on top. I've got a 20' boat that I plan to install a raised deck across the front 4' of the boat with storage underneath and chair on top.
    On a boat that small, I wouldn't try to put a raised deck across the back unless you can put the driver's seat up on it along with the controls. So, no rear deck on my 16' jonboat, but I do plan to put one on my 20' boat right behind the driver's seat.
    Give some serious thought to how often you expect to have to anchor the boat, as well as what conditions you will be in at the time. Look at various methods of attaching the anchor rope to the boat, and think about where you might want to mount these attachments.
    I'd definitely mount a bilge pump to get rid of any water that happens to get in the boat from rain or waves.

8. capt.kirk

capt.kirk Guest

T BONE
    i belive after i read all the info,you have enough info. take a little from each
    of the above information and you can build a nice boat,i did one several
    years ago using about every thing mentioned and it turned out fine.1 MORE
    THING DONT FORGET THE BILGE PUMP found out the had way :eek:
    GOOD LUCK
    KIRK :D

9. reverend_ty

reverend_ty New Member

State:
    Marshall, Texas(Crossroad
    Befire you build anything inside or use the spray in bed liner (which works great) place you some plastic pipe under the ribs or along the side behind the supports for electrical purposes. Makes it a whole lot easier to run wires to extra stuff you may want to add later on.

10. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Thanks guys. I do appreciate the tips. For sure will be adding a bilge pump. My boat does have a small deck up front, but I think I want to keep the floation in there don't I ? If I remove it there would be a great deal of room for storage. I have seen some mods. on the net and most of these guys remove the floation under the benches or the benches themselves and add insluation type foam board under the ply wood floor. I want to keep all the floation I would think. I like the idea of a bed liner type of floor. And adding rod holders. I'm so kicking around how and what kind of lights I will need in the boat. We do fish alot at night. I also like the idea of using pvc pipe for wire runs.

These are all great ideas and I will put these in my notebook. I only want to mod. this boat one time, so I'm hoping to remember every thing the first time.
    Thank each and everyone of you for your replys.