Jon Boat Mod

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by JBla174, Jan 17, 2010.

1. JBla174

JBla174 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Hey guys! So last summer I started my jon boat mod, and am trying to convert it into a cattin' boat. It's a 14' topper made by tracker and is a flat bottom. I put in two platforms between the benches to help me sit/stand up higher in the water. I did this by using a rivet gun to put in brackets around the sides and then put 1 inch aluminum tubing for support and layed the plywood ontop of that. I also added a storage compartment to store away my life vests, oar, etc. This should make a lot more sense once I post pictures, but now I am looking for guidance on what to do next! My plan is to:

- Carpet the floors
    - Add 2 seats. One in the back mounted on a 7 inch pedestal and one in the front with adjustable height settings.
    - Add rod holders- I have a rack for the front where I plan to put 4 rod holders, and also 2 rod holders on each side of the boat
    - Get a Fish/Depth Finder
    - Install my 2 lantern holders for night fishing (along with naviagation lights)

Let me know what you think and if I'm on the right track! This is my first boat and first time going through this so everything will help! Thanks guys!

2. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Welcome.....sounds like you got you got a good plan. I would skip the lantern holders too many bugs at night!

3. JBla174

JBla174 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    thanks for the reply Hoopie! Didn't think of the bugs! What would u suggest for lighting?

4. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    welcome to the site. on my boat i usually don't turn on a light unless i need one (tying knots,lookin for something) or i just use the light on my hat or a flash light. don't forget about a bildge pump for the boat if ya don't already have one.

5. JBla174

JBla174 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks for the tip lendog! Keep 'em coming!

6. JBla174

JBla174 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I was going over everything I planned on doing today and was wondering what you guys thought would be the most cost efficient depth finder for the boat? I don't want to spend too much, but don't want to get something that is worthless!

7. CatFuStyle

CatFuStyle New Member

State:
    Xenia, Ohio
    if you want lighting, just get some led lighting tubes or some push on/off stick up lights and they can be placed out of the way and from emitting light over the edge of the boat.

Forgot to add, if your going to be out on the water at night dont forget your water craft lights, your bow light and transom light.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
  8. JBla174

JBla174 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks for the tip! I have the boat lights for night time to, so we're set there! Thanks again

9. Oh, let's see, where shall I begin......

First off, welcome to the site buddy.

Here's a few ideas for ya.... ;)

These rod racks are home made hoss. Those spotlights are wired to a swtich. Just regualr utility lights. Interior lighting I am going with a led strip here and there, they are cheap on the internet. And get yourself a bimini top too.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2010
  10. And get one of these.....

Keep rope off the deck and is fun to use for the anchor!:wilt:

11. jstultz

jstultz New Member

State:
    indiana
    I use a blacklight/ flourescent combo the blacklight doesn't attract as many bugs as a lantern. and the flourescent when i have to tie a knot or something to that effect. good luck with your first boat.

12. RockyS

RockyS New Member

State:
    Conyers, Ga
    I have one lantern holder on my boat and love it. Its there when I want it, and takes up very little space when not in use.
    As far as the depth finder- I have 2 eagle 320's. You can get them for @119.00-140. It is made by Lowrance and has the same features as I believe the Lowrance X-96. Eagle is made by Lowrance.

13. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    humminbird makes a couple decent fish finders at a good price, i had a humminbird 525 for a couple years on my first boat and was very pleased with the ease of it, you can pick those up for around 125 bucks, and those have the 5 inch screen which is nice. they have the built in temp sensor in the transducer, plus come with a quick release mount so you can take the unit off in seconds and store inside

14. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    Walfart has one for about $80. I have one and it works great.

15. seth3221

seth3221 New Member

State:
    NC
    harbor freight has has 9'' red led waterproof strips for 10 bucks. decreases the bugs. dont forget your spark plug wrench, duck tape quak quak, zip ties, and toilet paper in a zip lock bag. flat weights 10 lbs or so are cheaper then anchors. guids for the trailor. its a pain when the river is moving fast. harbor freight also has 100w utility lights for 25 bucks what a great store. colmen cooler mounts. just so you know you will never get the money you put in the boat back so make sure you like it.

16. JBla174

JBla174 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Hey guys, Sorry it's been awhile since i've posted on this, but thanks for everything so far! I've got a question on trailers now! The trailer I have at home is on its last leg, so I want to buy a new one (rather not buy used b/c I don't want to deal with any complications). I was on ebay motors and found this one, let me know what you like/dislike about it:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BRAN...H_DefaultDomain_100?hash=item5ad6c84ff4#rpdId

17. roadkill636

roadkill636 New Member

State:
    warrenton misso
    Iwould dfanently PASS on that china made trailer, you wont like it as soon as you see it, the entire trailer comes in a box that a 44" flatscrean tv from wallyworld comes in,
    I know you said you dont want the hassel of used, but a real good trailer ready to go can be found all over for $100 - $125, just check for rust, lights, tire condition, tight bearings

18. Jack Herber

Jack Herber New Member

State:
    Woodstock, GA
    As others have said, I am also a big fan of Harbour Freight. The trailer you linked to is exactly like the one H/F sells. If you don't have a H/F store near you they also sell from their catalog or on line. Price seems comparable. The restrictions this other guy poses seem a little extreme. And I also agree with the previous post as to the (relative) quality of the Chinese stuff. However, I always work under the idea that if I use something so much that the cheap stuff breaks/wears out then I know I will get enough use out of a high quality, more expensive unit. I find that MOST of the H/F stuff works just fine for most of my needs.

19. Smokin

Smokin New Member

State:
    Ca
    As stated allready run from the hf trailer buddy of mine wouldnt listen to me and bought one of them same trailer and he lost a wheel the spindle broke heading to the lake one early morning did a lot of damage to his boat. If you buy a cheap china made junk that is what you get. I myself stay far away from HF nothing but low quality china junk there.

20. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    unless the frame of the trailer you own is rotten i'd sugest that ya just rebuild the one you have, a complete hub kit isn't much money and is fairly simple to replace, trailer light kits are also cheap unless ya go with the LED lights which i would highly suggest. the LED lights cost alittle more but IMO are well worth it, i backed my trailer in the river hittin a rock breaking my left LED light into 3 pieces and it still works great, with my old bulb trailer lights i was constantly replacing bulbs.