Jon boat livewell ideas

Discussion in 'Livewell and Bait Tank Review' started by chesapeakecarper, Nov 14, 2006.

1. chesapeakecarper

chesapeakecarper New Member

State:
    Maryland
    I'm looking for ideas of livewells for a 16 foot jon boat (purchased as a bass-type indented deck shell) w/20 hp Merc. I'm 'modding my jon for cat and carp fishing (no, the carp I catch are WAY too big; livewell is mainly for the cats) and ACATS tournies for 2007. I've perused the Library but am looking for other ideas. I've attached my work so far to give an idea of the size restrictions...I've flattened the front deck for more efficient storage; installing the interior sides. Storage hatches will be cut into the deck and walls for additional storage, and to decrease weight a bit ;)

Any tips are greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    You can buy a portable live well i just use 180qt cooler and keep frsh water in it. use a water saver pump that i got at wal mart on so far has worked grest. i will take some pic's tomorrow and post them.

3. special liberty

special liberty New Member

State:
    Maryland
    '07 will be my first time fishing any sort of tournament and I intend to use a large cooler, keeping fresh water in it and using a "D" cell powered areator from Cabelas.

If someone thinks this is a bad idea tell me now - not a tree hugger but I don't want to kill fish for no reason

4. KaJaMa

KaJaMa New Member

State:
    Maryland
    I would think you'd want a more powerful aerator that circulates the water more. They sell some that are 12V that I've used for bait and it kept them alive for over a week. May not be necessary, just a suggestion.

5. 1 cattin dude

1 cattin dude New Member

State:
    Jonesboro, Arkansas
  6. screamnclickersc

screamnclickersc New Member

State:
    S.C.
    For tournaments we use a cattle water trough that we bought from Tractor Supply-it can hold 5 big blues,no problem.We use Double Bubbles air pumps W/ soaker hose instead of stones.

7. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    is there any way you can post a pic ? i thought about that once but some one said it would be to heavy for my boat i have a 16' 72" beam with 40hp mariner and no foam , i currently use the bottom of the boat due to it leaks , takes on 20 gallon of water in 8 hours on the water

8. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
  9. chesapeakecarper

State:
    Maryland
    Thanks for the links and ideas. Hopefully my only handicap will be lack of a pardner for a "team" as I've always been a solo angler. Cross that bridge when I get there I guess...

10. Billy Tucker

Billy Tucker New Member

State:
    Manasszs Va
    I keep toying with a idea of a box or tube with holes like 10 or 12" pvc with caps on the ends that you throw overboard when you stop and pull in for the run. Most catfishermen dont make long runs so you are stopped 95% of the time. This would cut the weight down inside of the boats especally smaller boats.

11. Little Luey

Little Luey New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I don't know about the livewells but I wanted to coment on the good work you seem to be doing on your boat.

At the risk of sounding very ignorant I will ask a question, how do you atach the wood to the aluminum on the boat? if you put hole in it, are you concern with water leaking in to the boat?

12. special liberty

special liberty New Member

State:
    Maryland
    I've heard of the off shore guys doing that - I believe they refered to them as "Tuna Tubes" and they used them to keep fish alive - they claim the tube actually helps keep the fish "calm" and thusly in better shape

13. chesapeakecarper

State:
    Maryland
    Thanks for the compliment.

Don't worry 'bout how you're sounding...it took me a looonngg time to gather the nerve to start drilling holes in the boat...seemed very counter-intuitive:eek:oooh:

I put the floor down a year or so ago, and used stainless steel philips-head screws into the bottom braces. I had to be careful and stop drilling when I cleared the bottom brace...thankfully this Xpress boat has rather high braces so there is a good deal of air space between it and the hull. The hull is also thick welded aluminum in case I nicked the inside with the bit (did this twice) but examination showed only a scratch and no penetration.

Everything else is interior drilling, but as in the deck, still had to watch depth as not to pop through...and match the screw lengths to the interior clearance. The few thru-hull holes I drill for the sonar etc I seal w/silicone...and drill as few as possible!:big_smile:

14. Little Luey

Little Luey New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Cool, thanks for sharing.