jon boat in the nuese?

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by goldsborocatbuster, May 5, 2009.

1. goldsborocatbuster

goldsborocatbuster New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Hey all how's it going? Im new to NC... I have a quick question.. I'm used to chasin bass but lately Ive had the itch to pull in come big cats.. Ok, heres my question. I have a shallow 10 foot jon boat with a small outboart and a 45lb thrust trolling motor. Is this boat to small for the nuese? Im tired of looking for spots to bank fish and was wondering if it would be safe for my lil ol jon boat to be in there..
    Thanks.
    J

2. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    where did u use it before , it should be ok, but if u don,t feel safe in it then try to find u a little larger one ,as unsteady as i am now on my feet thier,s no way i would try it in a boat that size unless the water wasn,t over 5 ft deep

3. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I've seen people out on the neuse in boats that small. As long as you know what your doing, know where your going, you should be ok.

4. catfishwillee

catfishwillee Member

State:
    Knoxville, TN
    I was out last weekend in my 12ft. jon boat. Trolling motor only and i felt pretty safe, no big deal. took me a while to get up stream though, lol.

5. Cathunter Pete

Cathunter Pete New Member

State:
    Fayetteville NC
    The biggest thing as one mentioned earlier is how comfortable you are. As far as the river, and with any river in a john boat, especially a smaller one, you don't want to be out when the river is high and running hard for obvious reasons. Even in my Pontoon I don't like taking it out on the Cape Fear when it's more than 4 ft above normal. Just keep an eye on the river level and you should be fine:wink:

6. goldsborocatbuster

goldsborocatbuster New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    cool thanks, ill give it a shot......... its a safe boat, just never been in a river with it, just ponds and such.

7. outdoorX

outdoorX New Member

State:
    Ohio
    your little john outta be fine up around goldsboro and smithfield. if you dont have to money to get a bigger boat try adding a flase floor. it will give you more weight to settle your boat and make it a little more stable. you might not go quite as fast but that dont matter all the time. as for current i see guys go ride rapids in kayaks so im never worried about how high the water is of anything to do with that matter. both my boats can handle high water just fine.

8. Cattn-Jeep

Cattn-Jeep New Member

State:
    NC
    Here is a link to help you keep an eye on the different rivers...
    http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nc/nwis/rt