Jon Boat Ideas

Discussion in 'Boating' started by mcronican, Jan 25, 2007.

1. mcronican

mcronican New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Hey all! My buddy has an old 14ft. aluminum jonboat that we've built a front platform for, would ya'll recommend building a deck across the entire thing? Or leaving some of it open to put some big cats, should we catch any?

2. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I wouldn't...why would you even want to?

You will add a substantial amount of weight to the boat, at it's highest point, and then raise the passengers and cargo above that...the center of gravity gods shall smite thee.:wink:

3. bigboy

bigboy New Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I'm gonna go with Katmandeux on this one. For one what purpose does this platform have? Second of all depending on the width of the boat and the size of the occupants it's probably not gonna be very stable. In my 14' jon boat with me and I'm 6'3,245 lbs it took me a while to even feel comfortable to switch from front to back in the boat. It of course up to you as the owners of what to do with it but I wouldn't.

4. crazfish

crazfish New Member

State:
    arkansas
    I bought a brand new 14 foot jonboat last year and made a low profile deck on the front which is about 3 inches below the middle bench and leveled to the bottom of the front seat bench and just a platform floor level in the back half of the boat. I already feel there is limited space and want to make sure you don't lose anything if anything should happen. The higher you build a platform, the higher chance of unstabilty due to top heaviness.

5. nathan8372

nathan8372 New Member

State:
    South Texas
    I also have a 14' jon boat but it came with a factory front platform, the width of the boat extending back towards the back about 3 feet. If I were you I would not extend the deck anymore than this because you will soon find, the more space to put gear, the better. Are you going to run trot lines or just fish with rod-n-reel?

Nathan

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Bass fisherman raise the deck on their boats so they can use a technique called flipping and pitching. In this case the deck is helpful. But catfisherman don't benefit from a raised deck boat. It is unsafe and you will find yourself continually off balanced. In a 14' boat with a raised deck it would be difficult to set that hook on a good fish. Think Safety.

7. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Make sure life jackets are the first piece of equipment in the boat.

8. clintonhawg1

clintonhawg1 New Member

State:
    indiana
    I would leave it alone with a 3 to 4ft platform .It will get real heavy with much more wood . Hope this helps .

9. KGK20

KGK20 New Member

State:
    MISSOURI
    I wouldnt put a deck on the hole boat maybe just 3 feet in the front because if you have motor on boat in mo you must be sitting below rails are you will get a ticket . and if you cover the hole boat you will lose a lot of room

10. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I've got a 20' boat that I'm planning to put a 4' raised platform on. The way the boat is now, the front curve of the hull makes it difficult to stand there; the platform will provide a flat surface for better footing, plus, I will gain a place to store equipment.

11. pythonjohn

pythonjohn New Member Supporting Member

State:
    F L A Swamps
    Naww I would't do it.
    Would make the boat unstable.
    Rule 1. Safety
    Rule 2. Safety
    Rule 3. Safety
    If there anymore Questions Just ask.

12. jimjr20

jimjr20 New Member

State:
    iowa
    i have a 14' jon boat we took out the front and middle seats and installed a platform that runs from front, back 4'. have it rigged so i have 4 compartments for batteries and whatever. have a captain seat in middle of platform. then put another captain seat in middle of boat where the middle bench seat was. i have room to move all around the boat best thing i ever did.