Jon Boat help

Discussion in 'Boating' started by Dbeals05, Jan 30, 2008.

1. Dbeals05

Dbeals05 Member

State:
    Ohio
    I'm looking into buying a 14-16' Jon Boat. I don't really know too much about them. What are some of the best brands and whats the price range for just the boat with no motors or trailers. I have about 1200.00 to 1400.00 to spend. Any info or websites would be great. Also, boat doesn't have to be new, i'm willing to buy used if you know of someone, or you are selling one.

Thanks in advance

2. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia

3. cathooked

cathooked New Member

State:
    north carolina
    yep you need to get on graigslist they got everything.and welcome to the boc.

4. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    u beat me to it, look on craigslist & u'll find something!! There's alot of v bottoms in ur area w/the whole pkg that are fairly cheap

5. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    you have a pm...

6. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    I really like my alumacraft and my uncles polarkraft, both are 14ft. riveted jon boats. My boat isn't very old yet (bought less than a year ago), but seems sturdy and well made. My uncles polarkraft has been hunting, fishing, etc for about 20 years or so, and is still solid. Its been drug across the mud, hit sandbards, pounding waves, probably overloaded a few times, and trailered God knows how many miles. We've even slid it down a few banks and over a few rocks, and busted ice over an inch thick (its very hard to steer a boat in ice, by the way). That boat is TUFF (and pretty heavy)!! The other day we tried to put the bow up to the edge of the marsh....the marsh was frozen rock solid and we hit like a ton of bricks...with no damage to the boat. There are other good boats out there, but these are the two brands of jon boats i've had experience with. I also seriously considered Smokercraft when i was shopping around. Dad has a 1972 V bottom thats still in GREAT shape. Its outlasted several transom boards, a couple of motors, and if the trailer gets any rustier, it'll outlast that too.

7. Dbeals05

Dbeals05 Member

State:
    Ohio
    Well i was looking at this boat, http://columbus.craigslist.org/boa/556154956.html , but was wondering if it would be safe to use it on the Ohio River. Theres lots barge traffic and such. This will be the first boat i ever owned and was just looking for some advice.

8. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    WELCOME TO THE BOC ,GOOD LUCK FINDING A BOAT

9. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    "Well i was looking at this boat..."

Crappy photos but I think it would do ya. A little negotiation on the price and I would consider it.

For the cash you are talking about, a used runabout might make you feel safer, But I have been out in smaller Jons without major problems.

Just triple check that the motor is in good shape.

Been there, done that. A misbehaving motor, especially on your first boat, is very discouraging and can be more dangerous than the waves.

10. DJH1

DJH1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    a 1648 with a 25hp motor is usually what I consider the minimum for fishing the Mississippi river, so I would think that boat would work fine. If the motor runs good and the boat doesn't leak, thats a HECK of a deal.

11. Dbeals05

Dbeals05 Member

State:
    Ohio
    I plan on putting on front and rear decks on it. New carpet and seats. Trolling motor and fish finder. I wanna put lights on the sides or it for fishing at night but i have no clue how im gonna be able to do that. If the motor runs on that boat it would be a big plus.

12. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Pictures, pictures, pictures, don't forget us when you go to do the work!
    We like pictures!!:big_smile:

13. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    I just bought a 1988 polar kraft 16 ft with the same motor on it. It had sat for about 5 years! So I pulled the cover off to how many mice had made homes it only to find that there wasn't even aflake dust under it. Checked the plugs mixed some gas and turned the key and it screamed like new. It was sitting in abanded house, but found the owner and gave 1200,00 for it. After we cleaned all hornet nest and dirt off everything it was well worth it.:wink:

14. Dbeals05

Dbeals05 Member

State:
    Ohio
    I wont forget about you guys lol. Ill have lots of pictures as soon as i start everything.

15. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    Try this one if you like.

16. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City

I'm in the exact same situation.

17. john103

john103 New Member

State:
    illinois
    Craigslist is a good place to look besides ebay. I picked up a 16ft Alumacraft a few months ago at reasonable price on craigslist. No motor though,,
    Stil shopping around on that..But check it out before you buy, you might find what your looking for.