jon boat help please

Discussion in 'Boating' started by brandonleeraab, Oct 31, 2007.

1. brandonleeraab

brandonleeraab New Member

State:
    louisiana
    i have an 83 gator now but i think the foam in the hull is waterlogged. i want to buy a jonboat and switch all my stuff over ,43#minn kota ,bige pump , rod holders and so forth. i like the idea of "usable space". my boat now is 15'. I was thinking a 16' jonboat would be a good idea . how stable would that be as far as kids in the boat, landing big fish, not so smooth waters, stumps and well you get the picture. also how big a motor can it handle. i'm new here and i really enjoy how everyone helps each other out and its very educational.

2. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    Well, length has a lot less to do with stability than the width does. I bought a 14' jon boat this year that is very stable, but the floor is 48" wide, and the boat measures about 71-72" across the gunwhales. I weigh about 250 and can stand on top of the seat, right next to the gunwhale and that boat wont tip over, heck me and dad have both stood on one side and the boat still doesn't take on water. I consider that pretty stable. My 2 year old kid doesn't have any problems walking around in the boat, and with the high sides, i dont worry as much about her falling overboard (obviously i keep an eye on her at all times anyways). My boat handles rough water fine, fished in 2 foot waves, little bumpy, but not bad. You probably aren't going to stand up a whole lot if it gets real rough, but i usually try to find calmer waters when its that rough.

3. bigBB

bigBB Member

State:
    St.Louis, MO
    welcome to the board.. I'm pretty new myself and have found a ton of useful info here. I recently boat a 16ft jon.. it is a wide jon basically made to be able to handle big rivers. It is extremely stable from what i can tell so far, i had it out on rend lake in IL and had to take it from my campsite over to the boat ramp and a storm was coming in.. to say it was rough water would be a drastic understatement.. but she did fine.. I have a 40hp on it but i believe it is rated for up to a 60hp. I haven't had my daughter out in it yet but i would hesitate to do so. Good look on your decision.

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Years ago I had a 14' jon boat I had bought from Montgomery Wards. I think it was like 32" wide, and had about 12" sides. Although I never tipped it over, and never took on water with the boat, I wasn't that happy with it... the possibility was there for bad things to happen. Before I took my kids out in that boat, they all got swimming lessons and each could swim like a small fish. LOL They still wore their PFD's though. We (myself and two boys) fished that boat all the way from Texas, to Louisiana, to Virginia, back to Texas, Oklahoma and back to Louisiana. Had a mobile home dropped on it in Texas, welded the split hull back together and used it for another 10 years. Think my ex sold it for scrap aluminum eventually. I had it powered by a 7 1/2 HP Sea King and a trolling motor. It was a deadly combination for bass and catfishing with trot lines. HOWEVER, memories are great, but I hope you prefer your memories to be gathered in a far wider craft than the above. Your HP ratings will vary according to the size and manufacturer. Here is a link you may find useful in determining your needs... remember, the important considerations are the width, maximum weight capacity and number of persons....

http://www.g3boats.com/JonBoats/

and a listing of more sites....

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=jon+boats&btnG=Google+Search

5. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    i used a 14 foot mon ark with a 25 horse motor for years.you need to get a hold of one of their catalogs and look it over .that will give you some thing to compare to other boats while you are looking.

6. tigger_tat_55

tigger_tat_55 New Member

State:
    cali
    hi there,

I have the ugliest jon on the planet, its a 16ft loweline. it is great on the river, very stable and fishes two people just fine, never put it on a lake as of yet.not the greatest in bad water but its a flat bottom..... but so far been real happy with it, got a 50hp mercy that is also old but works just fine.

7. brandonleeraab

brandonleeraab New Member

State:
    louisiana
    thank you all for posting and thanks for the feedback. almost narrowed it down to a tracker 1448 almost . That extra 2' would be nice but that extra 2' cost as much as the rest of the boat:smile2:

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I started fishing the Arkansas river in my father-in-law's 1436 jonboat. No problems handling the river, but when I bought a jonboat, I got a 1636. A fire did a lot of damage to it, but I was able to add to the insurance money to get a Lowe 1648 Bigjon. I really like it, but another 6" in width would sure have given me a lot more room. My rule of thumb is that if you buy a boat bigger than you think you would ever possible need, then it will be just that much longer before you start complaining about it being too small.

9. BOWHOG1

BOWHOG1 New Member

State:
    NC
    Brandon get the most boat that you can aford. I got rid of a 1648 w/30 tiller during a divorce(SHould have taken her Fishing) and its taken me 13 yrs to get another. Back when..2G's bought everything. Last yr I got a deal on a 1756/G3 , then I found a deal on a 9.9hp. Slow but I know what the bottom looks like and I enjoy trolling. I just located a 50 tiller took it home,put it in the shed. I'll get to it next spring. That 9.9 laughs a gas. This G3 goes skinny and I can sleep on the floor.When my kids get roudy I have room to send them to separate corners. Get MORE BOAT, you can find a motor.