jon boat floor question

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by Fishgeek, Mar 20, 2009.

1. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    I've read everyone's post about not using treated plywood for flooring in an aluminum boat b/c of the corrosive properties of the chemicals they use to treat the wood. But, what if a guy were to put some kind of barrier between the wood and the aluminum jon boat ribs? Like a strip of innertube? Would a heavy peice of rubber between the two solve the corrosion problem?

2. heyop_erator

heyop_erator New Member

State:
    Kansas
    We have been redoing our new/old boat. If you look on my page in the album Abracadabra you can see what we have done. The floor is in now. Good luck with your project...save your pennies and your days off,you're going to need them...lol..Teri

3. bassgasm2002

bassgasm2002 New Member

State:
    sc
    if u have a wreckyard somewhere close the sides of a box from an 18 wheeler trailer will net some perfect aluminum for that project. been there done that. usually it can be had pretty cheap too.

4. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    I would still not use treated wood.....it will leach out and still drain into the bottom of your boat......look under a stack of treated wood thats been sitting outside sometime.

I went to my county's roads dept. and asked if they had any old signs they were willing to part with. 2 - 4x4 bridge crossing signs later i was set. Lightweight and should last at least as long as the boat. The price was good too (free). I used an electric jig saw to cut out around the ribs and used SS screws to screw it to the floor ribs. I covered mine in Indoor/Outdoor carpet, but you could use something else if you so choose.

Plywood coated in the appropriate material would work well also, but i will let Mark J come along and discuss that, as he is the resident expert (and i couldn't tell you the first thing about it).

5. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    Great idea! Thanks!

6. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    I used marine board and put carpet on it . Its been in there since 2003 and still solid .

7. gdlocal10

gdlocal10 New Member

State:
    kansas
    Good luck, with the floor project, a barrier would stop the wood and aluminum contact just have to make sure it stays in place, just do your home work,and watch the budget,stainless screws for aluminum or galvanized

8. katplayer187

katplayer187 New Member

State:
    WEST END-PITTSBURGH,PA
    just do what i did use 3/4 in plywood and coat it in killz sealer sold at walmart lowes and other fine retailers lol... its saves wood from water and mildew!!!