jon boat alteration

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by bigcatwannabe, Feb 2, 2008.

1. bigcatwannabe

bigcatwannabe New Member

State:
    rowland, nc
    i have a tracker grizzly and lack of floor space bothers me, i was wondering how hard it would be or if it was possible to rip out the back hump where the seats are behiind the console, i was thinking about taking it out and making a small container for my gas can and battery and i was wondering if it was possible, i know there is foam in it but i didnt know if it would affect the structural integrity or if it was even possible

2. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Not quite understanding what you are speaking of, can you post a pic?

3. JKitterman

JKitterman New Member

State:
    Illinois
    You shouldn't mess with removing the foam floatation. You are sort of stuck with what you have unless you add floatation pods off the back with the same volume you are taking from that section. What model do you have. That may help someone understand as they can just go look at the pictures from Tracker's website.

4. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    The hump, or rear deck on some these boats serve a purpose.
    Not to hold foam but to hold the boat together.
    People tend to think of how much an outboard weighs rather then the forces it is capable of exerting in several different directions.

Engineering does go into these boats.
    They have to meet Coastguard requirements.
    There are formulas for maximum engine size etc.

Foam isnt the issue here. There is no requirement for flotation foam unless you are manufacturing and selling boats. Once the vessel is bought you take every bit of it out and still be legal.
    The issue is , if you take the hump out, you've ruined a boat structurally.

If the boat isnt big enough, get another boat.
    You cant make it what its not.

5. bigcatwannabe

bigcatwannabe New Member

State:
    rowland, nc
    thanks guys, i appreciate the advice, i was just wondering because there are only a few rivets holding it in, once again, thank you

6. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    gotta agree with markj on this one. i learned the hard way through several generations of boats that modifications can be made, but all in all you wont be happy untill you have the boat you really want. it took me several boats b4 i figured out what i really wanted. from 12' aluminum to 20' fiberglass. and several in between. turns out 18' aluminum is perfect for me. good luck bro.

7. gocards

gocards New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I agree also. I have been through many boats myself. I have never been able to find the exact boat/motor combo to fit all my needs. So as a result of that I own a
    10ft jon boat that is good for only farm ponds,
    12 ft lowe jon boat that is good for farm ponds, trolling motor only lakes and when drought effects your favorite fishing hole and nobody else can get the big rigs in.
    14ft lowe big jon which was junked and is a major head ache to get papers on it in Kentucky.
    17ft G3 which I think is the perfect boat except I have a fetish with a smaller lake that is 10 horse limit so I have an 8hp motor. Now I find that this is great on this lake. Maybe even pefect for this lake but I want just a little more power and speed on the bigger lakes. So I am thinking of putting a 20 hp motor on it also and using the 8hp as a kicker.

I love them all except the 10ft jon. I could live without that one but my father now uses it on his farm ponds. My wife does not understand to say the least....LOl!

8. gocards

gocards New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I was thinking that I have seen some jone boats with the last bench removed but I have never been in one. I am not schooled on this but I would assume that it could be done with the right help. My G3 does not have a middle bench and it very sturdy. I would not attemp to pull one of the benches out of my 10 or 12 footers because it would be obvious that it would leave it weaker. But the G3 was design from factory without the middle bench and it leaves you with plenty of room for any kind of fishing you would want to do.

That being said I would not attempt this myself and would not want to do it if it would be unsafe.