Jon 1442 vs 1448, good? bad?

Discussion in 'Boating' started by CoyoteCatfish, Mar 25, 2009.

1. CoyoteCatfish

CoyoteCatfish New Member

State:
    Texas
    Ok I found a Jon boat for sale. it’s a junky 1442 (needs bottom repairs) With a narrower bottom than a 1448 I think it might be the right fit for my 20 hp outboard. Anybody have one and any thoughts on your experience.

2. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    the narrower boats are easier to handle with a paddle, but less stable. The wide or X-wide boats are really tough to paddle.
    It dont really matter to me which if you were going to put small OB on it. That 20hp might even be a bit much for some of these little boats.

In Texas, if you put motor on it, you have to register it. You will either have to get a title, or prove that the boat has never been titled.

3. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    How much bottom repairs does it need? I wouldnt go putting too much money into repairing a jon boat unless i got a heck of a deal on it, and the with repairs costed several hundred less than new. Only you can decide if it is worth it to you though. If you can weld it yourself or fix whatever is wrong, this will save you money. If it needs a lot of repairs, you may be better off waiting and finding another used boat in better shape....it may be cheaper in the long run.

On the 1442 vs 1448, i prefer the 1448, because it is more stable and has more room. The 1442 is stable, just not as much. The 1442 would be a good fit for your 20hp outboard IMHO, although it would also push a 1448 just fine.

4. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    Kenne,

I just bought a 1448. Although I haven't had it on the water yet I'm glad the BOC brothers talked me into the 1448. I was looking at a 1442 but nobody had them available so I was trying to decide between a 1436 & 1448. The 1448 is much more boat. Mine is rated for a 25 and 5 adults. I would recommend a 1448, but if the price is right I would probably be happy with the 1442. What will be the major use? You fishing alone? Partner with you? Kids?

5. graybeard

graybeard New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I went from a 1436 to a 1648, and there is no comparison. The wider the better. I haven't been in a 42" one, so it might not be too bad, either, but I'd go wider if at all possible. As far as the motor, I use a 15 on my 1648, it ain't the fastest thing in the world, but with me and a partner, or just me, it does just fine on the water I fish.

6. randallewis

randallewis New Member

State:
    Louisiana --Shreveport
    I have a1742 and I love it. No middle seats. Big deck up front. I run a 25 merc. IT will go 28 mph. If its only 14' the 48" is better w/ a 25 hp. My opinion.

7. roadkill636

roadkill636 New Member

State:
    warrenton misso
    I used to have a 2042 20' long 42" floor 54" beam alumaweld. placement of coolers and gear was always a factor for tippyness