Joining National Guard

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by quadrunner42029, Jun 17, 2009.

1. quadrunner42029

quadrunner42029 Member

State:
    NC
    Im fixing to enlist if i pass the asvab test tomorrow, aced the practice test but the real one is going to be harder i have a feeling if i make it ima sign on for 3 years and idk what im going to do after i get back from basic training probally something in construction. Any one has any advice let me know, later guys

2. amk29

amk29 New Member

State:
    Durham, NC
    Congratulations and thanks wholeheartedly for all you will do for us...

3. kaous

kaous New Member

State:
    TN
    Hey man i am in the Air national guard. Before you go to basic you pick out the job you want according to what your asvab score is. Though i didn't know u could only sign up for 3 years. I was only offered to sign up for 8 years. 6 active and 2 years of unactive (in other words i could be called into service at any time for those 2 years even though i am not in the military) Some advice for Basic Training. Make sure you can run atleast 2miles without getting winded to badly. Cause unfortunatly i didn't do that and my ass was hurting every time we had to run. Thanks for your service and gl out there.

4. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

5. kaleb5000

kaleb5000 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    I have some advice join the Marine Corps do it right lol Im just kidding man good luck in the gaurd. you know what army stands for

A- aint
    R- ready
    M- to be a Marine
    Y- yet

6. Bream baiter

Bream baiter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Make sure you join the Air National Guard. DO NOT join the Army National Guard. Air Guard is much better. Even better than that would be Coast Guard. Every single person that I talked to from the Coast Guard during my 20 year military career said they loved it.

7. ncfowler

ncfowler Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    my son was looking into the guard, I would say it is a good way to advance your education, or skills, I also agree go air guard there is more jobs skills you can take with you once you leave, My oldest brother was navy then coast guard, he retired form the coast guard, he had several great posts, his last one was Kodiak Alaska which he said was the best for hunting and fishing, he hated leaving there, either way good luck, keep us posted, jeff

8. papabear108

papabear108 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Congratulations on your decision. I served for 13 years in the army reserve. My advice is the following:

Physical training. what the other gentleman said about 2 mile running is wise.
    Do not let a recruiter talk you into something you do not want to do. Take your ASVAB and then look at what jobs the army offers has a civilian counterpart. Get the training in the army to boost your civilian career. I was a parachute rigger. That does not have a big civilian job pool. No regrets, but now that I am older I would do it different.

God bless you and your family.

Oh, one more thing, you do understand that you will be deployed overseas? I am sure you are not worried about that but do not have the illusion that the war on terror is close to being over. I do not think you will regret joining the armed forces. I am proud to have served and I am proud of you for making that decision.

Brian "Bear" Lantz:wink:

9. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Congrats Dustyn and all the Best to you. Stay safe and Thank You!!!

10. quadrunner42029

quadrunner42029 Member

State:
    NC
    took the asvab today and made a 64 the score to pass is a 50 and i think thats pretty good, i have to look into the job list based on my scores but i dont wanna leave the country if i can help it, considering i have a 4 month old baby girl. I might hold off and look into other stuff im not sure.In the Army Reserves wat do u do?

11. ncriverrat

ncriverrat New Member

State:
    Trinity, NC
    congradulations dustin, my son if leaving out wed, for ft. benning ga, gonna be army airborne, smart to have sum direction in life and headed in the right direction, i dont know u personally but very proud of u never the less good luck and may god bless u and ur family.

12. quadrunner42029

quadrunner42029 Member

State:
    NC
    he leaving out by bus? i have a small fear of planes lol so i want to go to georgia but idk where they will send me for basic training and thanks for your support its a big decision for me.

13. ridgerunner

ridgerunner Guest

Congrats! I am an 11 year Air Force active duty veteran. What ever you get into make sure it has civilian skills as well. I would also definately pursue the education thing. The military service is a great way to get a college degree. Just make sure you start on it as soon as you possibly can. I wasted a few years and didn't go as far as I wanted before I got out. I know when you're young there's more interesting things to do but it will pay off in the end. Thanks for your service.

14. ncriverrat

ncriverrat New Member

State:
    Trinity, NC
    hey dustin he leaving by plane, and im with on the fear of planes,if it was meant for me 2 fly id have wings lol, good luck man

15. quadrunner42029

quadrunner42029 Member

State:
    NC
    haha i like that one, it shouldnt be to bad unless i start hurling or something or flippn out im deff not looking out the window or if we go thru turbulence ima be all to hell, lol later buddy

16. screamnclickersc

screamnclickersc New Member

State:
    S.C.
    I did 8 yrs in the Guard-got out due to all the B.S.-If I did it over i'd take regular Army.BUT don't listen to me!Good luck w/ever you choose!

17. bluecat69

bluecat69 New Member

State:
    Tupelo, MS
    Congradulations on your decission to serve this great nation.
    I'm currently in my 23nd year of serving the active Army. At the rate the WOT (War on Terrorism) is going, you are pretty much GUARANTEED to spend some time in the desert. Yes it sucks but you will feel much better about yourself once finished. I did 39 months between Afghanistan and Iraq (2002-2008) and do not regret one second of it.
    As far as the fear of flying, you will just have to suck it up and drive on. The government will transport you where your going by the cheapest means possible.
    You will see things and meet people that you would have never done. It will be something that you will be able to tell your grand kids.

18. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Congrats for making the decision to serve. I myself am regular Army, have been for almost 8 years. Currently in my 3rd year long deployment. I love my job. The only advice I can give you is make sure you get a job you can use when you get back. There are alot of jobs the military offers you can make really good money on the outside world with. Aviation is one of them. Good luck, start running and doing push ups and sit ups. Thanks for standing up for our great country. SGT Shorey

19. catfishhunter2009

catfishhunter2009 New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Thanks man we will apreciate all you do . Good luck hope everything goes well ...:big_smile:

20. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    Pick a job that you want and talk to someone that is in that MOS. Run a little, do some push ups, watch your six and stay true to yourself and youll be ready for anything. Semper Fi!