Johnson Seahorse 18hp FD-12

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Dsage, Dec 3, 2007.

1. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Ok I just received a Johnson SeaHorse. My buddy had it running last year when he put new plugs and propeller. He ran it for a bout 5 mins and then put it way in his basement till he dropped it off. The problem is that the pull rope is not wanting to move, I took the cover off and tried turning it by hand and no luck wont move. A neighbor said that I would take the plugs out and spray WD-40 in the plug holes. he said to really hammer it and then let it sit that it could be scale in the piston walls. Any help would be great I know the motor ran a year ago. I'm kinda lost here.

2. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Could be the recoil starter or flywheel.I have seen "Marvel Mystery Oil" & kerosene mix soak and free up a lot of old things of all types.It you are going to lube the rings and bearings.Lay it down with the plug holes up.Use a funnel and pour 1 ounce in each cylinder.Let it soak through on past the rings.Sounds like you got a "Get a bigger hammer"neighbor.I bet he breaks more than he frees up.Why put the WD 40 or anything in it,if you ain't going to give it time to work?Wait 3 days,three weeks.It has been sitting.You hammer on aluminum pistons you will have a anchor.You tap on aluminum gently and with something soft unless you are breaking it up for recycle.You also have to be careful with a lot of the new penetrating oils as they will damage a lot of things.Kerosene was the main ingredient in the old penetrating oils.Johnson and Evenrude made outboards that ran on Kerosene up into the 80's.You could keep the fuel for 10 years,pour it off the water,strain the sand,garbage,etc.out with your drawers and use it.I have done so in remote places.It won't hurt the insides of your Motor with the exception of too much oil fouls plugs and makes it hard to star.

Bubbacat is the pro.He is up on the old & new stuff.I would not be trying to help had he answered.

3. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Pee wee had some good advice in his post. Go to the auto parts store and get yopu some marvel mystery oil and turn that engine up like pee wee said and pour the oil into it and let it set for a couple days and then try to take you hands and turn the top back and forth in as little action as can be. You need to loosen it up a little at atime with the back and forth motion so it won't break the rings when it tries to go over the rust or what ever has it caught. It could be the lower unit locked up you just have to search it over to see but hammering on it won't help it will only make it into scrap metal.
    I would wonder how water got into the cylinders to rust it over to begin with.
    The only way I can think of is by water leaking straight into the carb or the head gasket was bad and let water into the cylinder to begin with.
    This is what I would do personally, I would remover the head plate to see what was stoping it from moving.

BTW that is a 1958 model uses a 24:1 mix

4. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    I'll try soaking it for a few days and see if that help before I break into the low half. As for hammering it, I used the wrong words when I said hammering it. In hammering it he was talking about using alot of WD-40 not just a little, really use it heavy, let it have it. I'm off tonight to get the marvel mystery oil. Is there a good way to tell if it is the lower unit and not the top with out a lot of dismantling. I'll I know is that it worked when he put it away. Really hope I can get it running it would make a nice addition to my 16' Lonestar.

5. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    See if you can get it in neutral,fwd.,reverse with the gear shift..You should be able to easily spin the prop.in neutral and not in either gear.Each gear should have a tiny bit of play when you rock the prop in forward and reverse,if it is free. This will "usually" mean that nothing in your drive train is froze up.You could still have a drive train freeze up but very unlikely.

As BubbaKat said.Do not use force anywhere and only little short movements if it frees or you may make junk out of it.Think of the rings as Egg Shells!

I have a 6 inch pencil lead diameter fiber optic attachment that will go in a spark plug hole and you can inspect a cylinder to some degree.You have to use it in the dark to see down in it the best.Don't need it much,but it has paid for its self many times over when I needed to look in small odd places.Got it at a Gun shop years ago.Wal-mart carries them.They just slip on a 2 cell double A flashlight.

That Marvel Mystery oil is good for a lot of things.Great for guns in subzero weather if you strip all of the old oil off first that will freeze up.

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee.

6. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Make sure it's not in gear.

Don't overlook the obvious.

7. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Well said!!

Once again the truth and the obvious that I overlooked."I ain't smart enough to be stupid".Thanks!

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee