Johnson sea horse 20 hp

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by bronco67, Mar 26, 2006.

1. bronco67

bronco67 New Member

State:
    nc
    I need all the info i can get thinkin about buying a 1970ishjohnson 20 hp seahorse for my john boat and i have never owned one or maintained one but can fix just about anything . what i need to know is are they worth the effort . the motor shows its age but the lower unit is not all beat up the prop is ingood shape and feels like it has compression . it has been in storage for 2 years and the guy said it ran just fine when last ran all info appreciated

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Get a compression gauge and check compression first. It should have compression on both cylinders pretty close to each other. The compression should be in the range of 90 to 100 lbs or higher. The higher the better. It will depend on how hard and many times you can pull the rope. If electric all the better. Before starting put a little TC-W3 oil in each cylinder and turn it over by hand to lube the cylinder walls.
    Check for spark. Stick it in a barell of water and see if she will fire. You will need to change water pump and lower unit oil.
    I will post later the type of plug you need for it. Those old engines were pretty simple and tough. If the price is right and the compression is good then you should be good to go.

But remember the most famouse two things I have heard is that the check is in the mail and it ran good the last time I ran it.