Johnson Lake report..

Discussion in 'LOCAL NEBRASKA TALK' started by bownero, Apr 18, 2009.

1. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Well I managed to catch my first fish from Johnson Lake this weekend. Make that 4 fish.. I caught a small White Bass, 2 Carp and 1 drum all on nightcrawlers. Had alot of bites, but I believe it was small fish or some trash in the water bumping my line. We had around 1 to 1 1/2" of rain dunring the last 2 days. Friday was a cold one, rainy and windy. Caught the white bass around 4 pm that afternoon. This morning I caught the carp and drum around 7:30 am. Seen someone catch what appeared to be a white bass. Anyhow, it went on the stringer. Can't wait for next weekend. Nice warmer weather and it should be good fishing. Hoping so!!:cool2: I think the cats should be starting here pretty quick. Plan is to use shad gizzards. Usually have the best luck using them during the early season..

2. jrgriffhusker

jrgriffhusker New Member

State:
    Minden, Nebrask
    See you saturday sometime Mark

3. jrgriffhusker

jrgriffhusker New Member

State:
    Minden, Nebrask
    I have stinky chicken livers, shad sides, and dead nightcrawlers. I'm ready for some CATFISHING!!!

4. Big Vic

Big Vic New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Did you guys leave any fish in the lake or not !!!

5. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Heck John! I've must of just missed you at the inlet at Johnson Lake on Saturday morning. I left at 9:00 in the morning. Didn't have much luck that morning. But Friday and Sunday morning, I caught 3 Channels. The bigger ones were caught on Shad gizzards and the little guy on a nightcrawler. The 2 bigger ones weighed around 3 and 4 lbs. The little guy could of become bait easily. LOL!! Darn carp were biting heavily on crawlers. Caught 3 Sunday morning at the inlet and 4 more on corn by the bridge on the east end of the lake. Actually the were in there so thick, that I snagged a couple when reeling in to check on the bait. One of the Buffalo carp weighed in at 24 lbs. 9 oz and another one at 21 lbs. The 21 pounder was so wide and fat, I thought it could explode at any time. Must of been full of eggs. Never seen a carp so wide like that one was. Crazy!!

Going to give it a try next weekend. Hoping the cats cooperate. I'm ready!!:wink:

Later..

6. jrgriffhusker

jrgriffhusker New Member

State:
    Minden, Nebrask
    I'm coming up saturday to pick up the new to us camper. I'm not sure if I'll get a chance to fish but I'm going to try. Depends on if we stay the night and if my lady brings up the boat when she comes. I sat on the bank for 20 minutes and was so bored I should've shot myself. Fishing isn't the same without a boat to sit in. That and the fact I didn't have anyone hanging with me. Anyways we'll see what next week brings.

7. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    That sucks! Man you should of gave me a call on the cell phone or lake house phone. I would of hooked up with you! That would of given me an excuse to fish more!! Hope to see you next week!! Give me a holler!!

8. Big Vic

Big Vic New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Was told yesterday that the walleye were hitting at Johnson ????

9. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    The fisherman have been catching Walleye at the dam around a couple of weeks ago. The Walleye were in the spawning phase and allowed the anglers to catch them pretty easily. I would definently like to have the dam shut down during the spawn. I believe it would make a better fishery of the lake. I remember when I started fishing a Johnson's Lake. I seen alot of big Walleye being caught, but now it's hard to catch one in the 5 lb range. Kinda sucks. Anyhow, the cats are starting to bite. That's what I'm targeting!!

Yes! There is a few walleye being caught at the inlet too. When I mean few, sometimes it takes a guy 3 hrs. of casting just to catch 1. I'll pass. Been there done that. Guess I'm getting older. LOL!!:smile2:

10. jrgriffhusker

jrgriffhusker New Member

State:
    Minden, Nebrask
    Well I'm coming up Sat and my lady is coming up behind me. I have to mow and clean around the lake house and camper. I probably won't fish until the kids and lady are in the camper tucked in for the night and then I'll go sit at the inlet with some shad sides and livers hopefully catch something.

11. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Hey John! Might me ya there at the inlet. Heck give me a call and I can meet you there!

12. jrgriffhusker

jrgriffhusker New Member

State:
    Minden, Nebrask
    I forgot your phone numbers last time we left but I won't this time. But I'll remember them this time. I probably won't be getting out to fish until around 7:30 or right about the time the sun goes down. I'll call you.

13. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Yeah! It was a nasty weekend for fishing! Rainy, a little windy now and then, and cold on the water. Got skunked this weekend.:angry: Had quite a few nibbles on the Shad Gizzards, but no takers. This morning I had a heck of a bite. It really slammed my rod down, but nothing after. Checked the bait and half of it was still there. I can believe how hard a fish can hit and not be hooked. Pure Crazy!! Oh well. Next time!!:big_smile:

14. jrgriffhusker

jrgriffhusker New Member

State:
    Minden, Nebrask
    Hah I didn't get skunked although all I caught a stupid a** carp. But that beats not catching anything.

15. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Yeah, I might of got skunked at Johnson Lake, but I did manage to catch around 20 Crappie at a friend's pond Sunday afternoon. So that broke the ice!!:wink::cool2: Gonna give it a try next weekend at Johnson Lake, it will get better, believe me!!

16. jrgriffhusker

jrgriffhusker New Member

State:
    Minden, Nebrask
    Well you can have at it man. I'm not going to be back at Johnson until the first week in August. It took me forever to get back from the lake. That's a damn big camper that the old man gave us. But it's going to be nice once we get it all cleaned up. Chrissy's already got the thing smelling better. I'm going to get my boat out next weekend. For now I'll just go to my little farm pond til then.