johnson gas tank

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by schuetz, Jan 13, 2008.

1. schuetz

schuetz New Member

State:
    kansas
    i have a couple of those 6 gal metal gas tanks (removable/topside) with johnson fittings and fuel guages on top. one of them leaks out fuel when it is filled past a certain point. it seems as if that little ball valve is stuck or broken. anyone know where to get the replacement part or how to take it apart? i took it off the top of the tank, and couldnt see any way to get to the valve. looked all over on ebay and i cant buy just the fitting part on there. any help would be appreciated.

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Retire those metal cans before they fill that carb up with rust. I haven't seen a rebuild kit for those in years. Not saying there aren't a few still out there but where I couldn't tell you.

3. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD

He could always use a kit like motorcycle shops sell to seal the tank....i think its Kream or Kreem or something. My father in law used a product like this when restoring a couple of old motorcycle gas tanks. It cleans and etches the tank and then leaves some kind of liner after you use all 3 chemicals. I am with you though, i'm afraid of the metal tanks, and dont use them (even though i do have one of these old metal johnson tanks at dad's house)