The United States Catfish Association Forum and Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys looks like I guessed wrong buying a power pack.
anyhow it felt great to hook up and head for the water. went and filled up the boat tank with gas

had to stop at the post office

backed er up into the water and she cranked right up
then I seen this comin

anyhow I never took er off the trailer I figured maybe the motor wasnt fixed yet just because she is idling dont mean a whole lot.
sure nuff in gear it was still bogging so I pulled er out and took er back to the house for some more work

it was a pretty day it actually got kinda hot I had to put a hat on.
anyhow I kinda didnt know where to look for a problem but I soon found it.

I noticed that when I pumped my primer bulb, raw fuel was pouring out the exhaust through the prop

so then I was like "mmm yeah Houston we got a problem"
I then guessed wrong (again) by thinking I one of the carburetors had a stuck float and was allowing fuel to pass by and into the crankcase.
so....I wasted about two hours taking every carburetor apart and checking each one and finding no apparent problem.
After putting everything back together I decided to do some homework and sit on my tail and search the interweb. very quickly I was reading about a bad fuel pump allowing fuel to pump out through the pulse line......into the crankcase.
sure enough I unhooked the pulse line and when I pumped the primer bulb gas came gushing out of it.

I couldnt really get it on camera when it was shooting out but it is the white 90 deg fitting down below

so as of now that is kinda where I stand with this either replace the fuel pump ($$$$$) or rebuild it

and I now have an emergency spare powerpack

:p

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Your smarter than I am. I rely on a mechanic unfortunately for my boat problems. I just took my boat into the shop today to get a bow mount trolling motor installed and a fish finder because I am clueless. I'm getting a heck of a deal on the trolling motor but it's still going to cost me $2000. My wife is going to kill me when she finds out lol. So maybe I better learn some skills pretty quick

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks man
you are a wise man dont put yourself down
only I am allowed to call myself a dumb-A

anyhow I have had this VRO delete pump forever so I jacked with it trying to get it installed

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
this is the VRO pump
of course I cant find a torn diaphragm or anything suspicious
oh well

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
The diaphragm may still be the issue, I have a 98 Honda Fourtrax that wouldn't run at mid throttle, would idle and would run wind open if you could feather it through the mid range of rpm. I disassembled the carb and cleaned everything with no improvement, the diaphragm looked fine but holding it to a bright light revealed a pin hole too small for my old eyes to see but big enough to allow light to come through. Right now I am struggling with a Jeep TJ that is giving me fits, will start if the temp outside is 40 or above but if it gets down to 20's or less it may start but backfires, bucks and jumps and will die. Too many sensors for me to figure out.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have turned to these

1 - 7 of 7 Posts